Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safariland holster recommendations

For any mission where a not so concealable strong side hip holster is needed I am a big fan of the ALS holsters. The tek-lock they use is frankly kind of cheesy, I would avoid it. The belt loops however are very solid and stand up to full power gun grabs. The paddle ain't bad either, although I have an aversion to paddles, this one works.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    For any mission where a not so concealable strong side hip holster is needed I am a big fan of the ALS holsters. The tek-lock they use is frankly kind of cheesy, I would avoid it. The belt loops however are very solid and stand up to full power gun grabs. The paddle ain't bad either, although I have an aversion to paddles, this one works.
    Thanks for mentioning that.....I concur (I posted that before the coffee kicked in). I got the tek-lok to mount the holster on a 2" duty belt range-only rig, which works fine with keepers fore/aft, but it is not nearly so sturdy on the trousers belt. I found it difficult to position the holster just right with the loops and a thick belt, as it locks in place pretty solidly. As far as paddles go, the SL is probably one of the best executions on the concept.

I am also a huge fan of the ALS guard on ALS-only holsters: http://holsters.com/concealment/acce.../model6006.asp
    I find that I use the exact same drawstroke as with the 6360 ALS/SLS....the added security is a bonus.

Does anyone have experience with the 5181? I have an adjustable sighted gun I'd like a range holster for.

Jon
    KC
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the 5181? I have an adjustable sighted gun I'd like a range holster for.

Jon
    KC
    I've got one....what would you like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    I've got one....what would you like to know?
    How you like it in the context of how you use it. Is it fast and durable? Is the paddle pretty easy to use?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    How you like it in the context of how you use it. Is it fast and durable? Is the paddle pretty easy to use?
    OK, background: I bought a couple like 10 years ago when they were having a ridiculous closeout sale. Was boxed up after a switch to the ALS, but recently dug it out.

My particular model has the STX finish. It is well made and durable for an open-top, adjustable friction-fit paddle holster. The paddle functions well. It is not as ergonomic as the current hip-contouring version, but is just as secure with the tooth on the back of the holster catching the bottom of the belt (you don't want to go thicker than 1.5"). Mine fits a Glock 19/23. It rides ridiculously high, with the trigger guard above the belt line, but is surprisingly non-floppy with that much of the gun's weight above the belt, and holds pretty tight to your side in spite of this.

One caveat: You don't want to remove the empty holster from your belt. Pulling on the bottom of the holster enough to clear the tooth from the belt can create enough torque to crack the holster where the paddle screws to the holster body (did that to holster #2). but with a dummy gun/empty gun no issue at all. Frankly, I don't even get worked up about removing the holster with a loaded weapon in it. Yes, you ARE placing your hand over the muzzle end of the holster, but the trigger guard is completely covered and secure, and if the holster is properly tensioned, then the weapon is secure in the holster as well. You will have to decide if this is an issue for you or not. this issue was addressed with their newer holsters.

I have no problem utilizing this holster when an open-top paddle holster will suffice for a particular need.

Hope that is helpful. Any other questions, fire away!

User Tag List