Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Safety Manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    The safety also goes on when moving or when reloading if appropriate.
    When moving (without shooting), yes. I would differ with applying the safety while reloading. First, if it's an emergency/slide lock reload, you can't. If it's a reload with retention or a slide forward speed load, the fight (or match stage) is still on. Just keeping one's finger in register should be sufficient.

Rosco

Talk with Pat McNamara about that...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Talk with Pat McNamara about that...
    I am aware that McNamara teaches engaging the safety during a reload. I contend that finger in register is sufficient. After all, it has to be sufficient with a Glock.

Rosco

Another "flaw" of the Glock...

JAD, as a sidebar to your sidebar regarding "drawing to guard/Low ready"; when do you deactivate the safety when the decision to fire has been made, and your 1911 is the "guard" position?

Do you mean when I am transitioning from guard (or ready) to the target? As the gun is being raised, if so.

Not that it applies to me most of the time, but if running a gun with a manual safety, that manual safety is disengaged when the gun is aligned with the target and I have made a conscious decision to fire (I am in the firing process.) The safety is engaged until those conditions are met, and re-engaged once those conditions are no longer met.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    When I shoot my 1911, I generally work by the rule of flipping the safety off when I am pressing the gun out. I don't do press outs because the trigger is just so short it doesn't matter to me, but I do "press" the thumb safety out. If that makes sense at all.

I train to flick it off as soon as the muzzle is on target, and flick it on as soon as the muzzle is off target. That's just me, but it works. Pat McNamara got me in the habit of putting guns on safe during reloads, too, so it is a very consistent motion now. It makes sense, really.
    Last edited by tactical22; 04-24-2014 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tactical22 View Post
    Pat McNamara got me in the habit of putting guns on safe during reloads, too, so it is a very consistent motion now. It makes sense, really.
    For admin reloads, yes

For reloads in the middle of a fight (and I include topping off the gun in the middle of a fight), no

User Tag List