Page 64 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Not worth it's own thread yet so I'll just leave this here, but if you're a fan of Walther and AIWB there may be another option soon:

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...7/walther-ppx/

We are diminished
    I predict the CrossBreed aiwb will be popular and, like other CrossBreed holsters, not something I'd use if I could make a string holster from my own entrails instead.

I'm not at all a fan of these so-called hybrid holsters. The big shirt guard tends to flop over and close at what should be the holster mouth, forcing many people to use two hands to reholster their gun (which, with aiwb, means you're very likely not able to hold your concealment garment out of the way, eliminating your ability to see what you're doing) and also leading to a dangerous tendency of pointing the gun inward toward the body during the holstering process.

I've actually seen more students struggle and become dangerous with CrossBreed and similar hybrid holsters than SERPAs, and that's saying something.

It's also telling that the new CrossBreed aiwb is only designed for small pistols. They don't even offer it for something as easily concealed as a Glock 19. From the photos it appears there is nothing to keep the butt pressed into the body or to control yaw. It also looks like there is a one-size-fits-all back, so if you get one for a tiny gun you're stuck with a giant shirt guard and footprint.

Specifically looking at the aforementioned photo of the new Crossbreed, look at that LCP/P3AT - how large is that freaking sweat guard on the bottom?! Ugh, talk about uncomfortable.

Todd hit it on the head - they'll sell a boatload of these. But that still won't make them even a good holster. But that a company that can push out as much product as Crossbreed does, is now selling an appendix holster is a good sign in my mind - it's more and more people embracing AIWB as a good choice for concealment.

I tried a Crossbreed for a week a few years back, ugh. Hated it. Went straight back to my VM2 for the next few years and loved it... until I switched to AIWB.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    But that a company that can push out as much product as Crossbreed does, is now selling an appendix holster is a good sign in my mind - it's more and more people embracing AIWB as a good choice for concealment.
    Not sure that I agree. A bad holster can do a lot to hurt aiwb's image... especially if that holster makes it harder (read: less safe) to holster. Think about it from the standpoint of, say, IDPA HQ. You've got folks who are pushing to get aiwb legalized and this thing shows up on your desk. Are you now more or less likely to give a green light to random strangers participating at your matches with loaded guns using aiwb?

You're right Todd - it could hurt. Very easily. That was actually a comment that I self edited...

These don't look like a good quality AIWB holster to me - though I'm certainly no SME on AIWB. Couple the low quality holster, with the added risks of AIWB, plus folks getting frustrated with reholstering their weapon, etc, shoving it in, forcing it.... and BANG!

I can easily see where folks who aren't being extra careful due to the nature of appendix carry, could increase their chances for an injury (or worse).

And you're right - this will do nothing to sway IDPA HQ towards accepting AIWB with open arms.

I see more Crossbreeds get torn up and create potential safety issues with floppy sweat guards than just about any other concealment holster, besides a Serpa. I think they're a piece of shit.

Those smaller guns, for many people, still require some means to force the grip in anyway. I also think others will concur that they can also be too short. The j-frame is about the only gun I have found to not benefit with some form of an extension. That is likely due to the shape.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Those smaller guns, for many people, still require some means to force the grip in anyway. I also think others will concur that they can also be too short. The j-frame is about the only gun I have found to not benefit with some form of an extension. That is likely due to the shape.
    Agreed. I think the ad I saw actually touted the short holster body as a plus, which says volumes about how much R&D they didn't do.

Site Supporter
    The problem I see with the AIWB situation is that you can't walk in to any gun store that I have ever seen and try anything. The other problem is that if you never draw from or holster while being watched by someone who is safety minded then you don't see the downside of the flat leather backing design and THEY ARE COMFORTABLE. Read on AIWB for 10 minutes online and you will find 10 places that bash it as uncomfortable. I suspect that most people don't train with there holsters so the don't know they don't work, they know they are comfortable. If you have to try 3 "good" holsters to find the one that works for you for AIWB you have to wait at least 12 week for all of them. All these things will lead to people being lazy/cheap/impatient and trying the crossbreed.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    The problem I see with the AIWB situation is that you can't walk in to any gun store that I have ever seen and try anything. The other problem is that if you never draw from or holster while being watched by someone who is safety minded then you don't see the downside of the flat leather backing design and THEY ARE COMFORTABLE. Read on AIWB for 10 minutes online and you will find 10 places that bash it as uncomfortable. I suspect that most people don't train with there holsters so the don't know they don't work, they know they are comfortable. If you have to try 3 "good" holsters to find the one that works for you for AIWB you have to wait at least 12 week for all of them. All these things will lead to people being lazy/cheap/impatient and trying the crossbreed.
    +1 Lord knows, I carried a USP45c in a crossbreed for over a year. I'm not proud of it, but there it is. I thought it was the cat's silk pajamas - until I actually started trying to become competent with it. I realized it was a POS and I never looked back. But it set the bar for carry comfort, and I've spent untold hundreds looking for a holster/carry method that doesn't suck while also being as comfortable as that xbreed was...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List