Page 62 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?
    I, too, have a P30LS. I personally ride both (carrying cocked and locked). Thumb between hammer and slide, while the trigger finger rides against the safety. It does compromise my grip slightly, but it's not a huge deal, IMO, particularly since I'm holstering, which suggests that I've decided that there were no more threats in the area. If I was choosing between just one or the other, I would also opt for hammer rather than safety. As BOM noted, the safety can fail, but riding the hammer will insure that the gun won't go off.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?
    The hammer is what will fire the pistol, so blocking that should be priority 1, IMO.

We are diminished
    Are you holstering with the safety OFF or ON?

If OFF, pressure downward with the thumb on the decocked hammer as you holster.

If ON, thumb verifies safety is on (press up on safety from underneath) then moves to hammer putting slight pressure on the face of the cocked hammer as you holster. If you can reach it it's also possible to put the lower outside edge of your trigger finger underneath the right side safety lever; this not only helps guarantee the safety is on but also gives your trigger finger somewhere to be other than on the trigger.

I like the trigger finger register idea. I planned to carry safety on/hammer down, rather than cocked and locked. C&L carry with AIWB would certainly be outside my comfort zone at this point.

It sounds like the proper procedure would be to decock, safe, then holster with a thumb on the hammer. I'll have to practice the trigger finger safety register.

Thanks for the help, all.
    Sheep Have Wool

Todd-

I may have missed it, but are you riding the thumb safety or the hammer with your 1911's?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    I may have missed it, but are you riding the thumb safety or the hammer with your 1911's?
    When I holster? My thumb is on the hammer and a straight trigger finger underneath the safety.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    When I holster? My thumb is on the hammer and a straight trigger finger underneath the safety.
    Yes, when you reholster - sorry, I should have clarified the question.

I figured you were probably riding the hammer (since that was your previous method with The Gadget on the Glocks). Just wanted to make sure I was assuming correctly.

speaking of the "gadget", is it out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    speaking of the "gadget", is it out yet?
    Nope, not yet.....

Site Supporter
    After trying a Fricke Arch Angel a while back and not liking it, I went back to regular IWB carry. Been wanting to get a GOOD AIWB to start training/carrying that way. I recieved my JM Custom AIWB for my M&P9 yesterday and have been wearing the unloaded gun around the house/drawing/reholstering for the last two day's. I wore it while taking my dog for a walk and running some errands today. It conceal's the full size pistol really well for my small frame ( 5'10'', 155 lbs). So far it's pretty comfy, although I am still playing around with belt buckle placement. I'm RH and right now have settled on the belt buckle at 11 O'Clock.

User Tag List