Page 45 of 221 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Site Supporter

A great holster for experimenting...

I've been lurking here a while but this is my first post on this site. I hope y'all find it useful.
    After reading ToddG's AIWB thread on the m4 site I was glad to find the discussion continued over here.

This thread has done a great job fleshing out the growing number of holster options for AIWB. However, I share in the frustration that many have expressed regarding "What is right for me?".... Will I prefer a deeper concealment AIWB, or do I have the right body proportions to comfortably use a combat grip ride height? How does MY weapon of choice change the recommendations from someone who is using the holster I'm considering, if they are putting a different weapon in it? Do I prefer a neutral cant or will a slight reverse cant or cross-draw conceal better or be more comfortable on a long drive? ...... And so on...

What we all wind up with is a lot of waiting around for expensive holsters that don't turn out to be as perfect as we had hoped. What I'm hoping to add here is my recommendation on a highly adjustable holster that has allowed me to answer a lot of these questions for myself, hands on, quickly. I'll be up front and say that this holster has a few shortcomings for AIWB. I'll explain some of those later. But, what this holster has allowed me to do is experiment with a very wide variety of carry positions, from 5-o’clock to cross-draw, and test a variety of ride heights, using one holster.

Please note that I have no affiliation with the maker of this holster other than being a one-time customer.

The holster is made by a guy named Rocky at Pure Kustom Holsters http://www.purekustomholsters.com/ .
    Service from Rocky was “ok”. I was told 6 weeks when I ordered, but it took about twice that.
    His communication was good, so I didn't get too upset at the delay. “Ok”.
    The model name is "Special Ops". Weapon is a H&K P2000SK. Here are a few photos...

Overall, it's a great holster. Well-made, great quality, boning is good, retention is solid, materials and finish seem top-notch. The holster carries well and is easy to conceal strong side, as any good IWB holster should be.

Where it really shines, however, is adjustablility. As you can see from the photos above, on each side of the holster body are 3 holes. The photo below shows the additional holes in the tuckable belt loops. The combination of these holes give you a wide choice of height and cant. I'm able to cant this holster from FBI to muzzle forward. I can raise the ride height from deep concealment to my rib cage. (I'm 5'8 [173cm], 180# [81.5Kg], 33-34” [85cm] waist size). I've been able to experiment with different positions and cants from 5-o'clock to cross-draw, using just one holster. I can make small changes, try it, then quickly change it again.

I still find AIWB to be the best for me, but now I also know that I prefer a straight drop with the ride height raised just to the point where a combat grip is accessible. I thought a slight forward cant would be good for me, but, if I cant it forward I either lose access to the combat grip or I have to raise the ride height to compensate and the slide starts poking me in the bottom of my rib cage. I feel like I've saved at least 5 holsters, 2 years of wait time and tons of frustration having instant adjustments with the turn of a few Chicago screws.

Here's the results …. for me..

1. I have a very nice IWB holster.
    2. Move a few screws and I have a solid AIWB holster. Not perfect, but solid.

This is what I was wearing yesterday, but this rig conceals just as easily for me under a t-shirt. You can see that the butt is pulled in reasonably well, the sweat shield is also firmly against my skin/shirt.

So now that I've discovered what cant and ride height fits me and this particular weapon, the next question is, “Is this a full-time AIWB rig?”.... and my answer is... “Maybe.”

For AIWB this holster has two (and a half) noticeable shortcomings.

1. As you can see in the top photos, the bottom of the holster has a fairly square profile. The amount of leather under the grip side of the trigger guard could be enough to poke you in the groin constantly. Clearly the shape of the leather in this area could stand to be contoured more for better AIWB comfort. FOR ME, it's not a problem. I found that it was poking at me to the side (grip side) and not down towards the groin. I didn't have a problem sitting comfortably, even with the ride height lowered another notch. This observation is, of course, VERY height/proportion/dress/choice-of-weapon dependent. I did have to massage the leather (just in this area) to straighten the curved profile of the holster a bit. After I flattened it a bit, it's now all-day comfortable, even though an “AIWB cut” would probably be even better. If I was shorter, or if I wanted a very low ride height, getting poked in the groin might be a problem. Hopefully you get all the nuances here.?

2. I really like the stability provided by the well spaced belt loops. However, for AIWB, this distance might limit the placement of the holster. As you can see in the photos above, the belt loop nearest my mid-line is pressing up against my belt buckle. If you wear a belt with a large buckle, trouble. If you prefer to carry closer to the mid-line, you would need to buckle your belt on the side. A web belt would give you some additional room. This is all “no problem” for experimenting, but for a dedicated AIWB, it might be an issue for you. For me, the loop spacing positions the weapon exactly where I want it. Lucky me.

2.5 I really prefer snap loops to having to remove my belt.

So what will “I” do? At the moment, I'm “happy but looking”. I've been able to clearly identify what I want in a dedicated AIWB holster, I've crossed a bunch of holsters off my list, and I'm content to shop around until I find something that exactly fits the bill. When I do find a dedicated AIWB holster to order, I plan to send this one to the maker and ask them to match the ride height.

I would NOT buy this holster as a dedicated AIWB rig unless the maker was willing/able to contour the bottom corner of the holster for a more AIWB-friendly fit. But it's great as-is for strong side IWB, it works pretty well for me for AIWB and the adjustibility makes it a great choice if you're still trying to figure out how exactly you prefer to carry. If you like the adjustibility and you're inclined to try and work with the maker, I'd assume he would custom-shape an AIWB version for you to deal with issue #1. Issue #2 is really a feature of the holster and would be difficult to change.

Thanks again to everyone that's contributed to this thread. It's been very helpful.

Site Supporter
    Is the mouth reinforced? Does it collapse after you draw the gun?

Nice write up. Personally, I would not want that ride height on my AIWB holsters. It would be a little too low for me to get a great purchase of the grip before drawing, I would then have to adjust my grip while bringing the gun up for my press out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
    Nice write up. Personally, I would not want that ride height on my AIWB holsters. It would be a little too low for me to get a great purchase of the grip before drawing, I would then have to adjust my grip while bringing the gun up for my press out.
    It's easy to make that adjustment if you prefer it that way. Just move the belt loops lower.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Is the mouth reinforced? Does it collapse after you draw the gun?
    Not reinforced, but does not collapse. The leather is pretty stiff.
    Here's a pic I didn't post earlier...

Lucky you I was wearing a long shirt.

I tried AIWB for the first time over the last couple of days. Unfortunately the scar from a hernia surgery several years ago is irritated by the pressure of the pistol. Has any body else had this issue? If so do you know of any way to get some relief? Other than the scar which feels like a bad bruise it was going great.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    I tried AIWB for the first time over the last couple of days. Unfortunately the scar from a hernia surgery several years ago is irritated by the pressure of the pistol. Has any body else had this issue? If so do you know of any way to get some relief? Other than the scar which feels like a bad bruise it was going great.
    What holster were you using? The holster makes all of the difference.
    #RESIST

Probably not the best choice but it was fairly inexpensive for a proof of concept / gap filler until CCC starts accepting orders again. A Raven Concealment Vanguard 2.

Well, thanks for the advice I guess this dream will just have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    Probably not the best choice but it was fairly inexpensive for a proof of concept / gap filler until CCC starts accepting orders again. A Raven Concealment Vanguard 2.
    I'm just spitballing here but you might be better off purchasing a leather holster for your comfort needs. Look at the AIWB designs from JRC and Desbiens.

Disclaimer: I'm currently using the Shaggy but have ordered an AIWB holster from JRC.

I've been CCWing, AIWB, with a glock 19 for a month now.

I am absolutely in love with it. Last week I took a class which involved about 35 hours of sitting in a classroom, with a 20 minute drive to and fro.

All together I spent about 50 hours sitting, getting up and down, driving, etc. These are typically where the weakness of AIWB are found, IMO.

I'm running a C&D, (thanks TCinVA) and it took me about two weeks to get it where I wanted it, and it was comfortable.

Yes, you read that right, TWO WEEKS of carrying, adjusting, moving a holster, all the while it was uncomfortable as heck.

Now that I have it where I want it, how I want it, it is actually the most comfortable carry method I've ever used, and conceals amazingly well. I can even tuck in my shirt around the single loop (I removed one) and it's gone.

That class I took? There were 15 other officers in it. Not a single one picked up my gun the entire week. I asked them about it at the end of the last day.

I had been using a super tuck, and it was pretty comfortable for a IWB, but I hated having something behind my back in the car because 1) it was uncomfortable sitting and 2) I can't reach it in a hurry. That was actually my main reason for wanting a AIWB, because I wanted to be able to reach it in the car, without having to change my method of carry.

All in all, I'm thrilled that I put in the time and effort to get it right.

Now all I have to do is keep from blowing out my femoral.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-12-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Profanity
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    -General Mattis

User Tag List