Page 220 of 221 FirstFirst ... 120170210218219220221 LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2208

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

Hello folks,
    I recently moved back to VA after 20+yrs behind the lines in MD. So, as I wait for my permit in the mail I’m on the verge of ordering a couple holsters from JMCK for a 19/17 and a 43/48. As I’m sure happens to a lot of you, after endless hours reading everyone’s opinions and experiences I’m in a position of analysis paralysis. I fully understand that I may end up with something completely different than what I start with due to the individual nature of Appendix carry, but I’m looking for a little general advice before I click “checkout.” I’m pretty set on a 2.0 wing claw for the 19/17 due to the stability, adjustability and thinness of the widely spaced clips as stated by many here. I was going to go with the exact same setup for a 43 (in a 48 length holster), but have a couple apprehensions. This will likely be the gun/holster I grab to run out for milk or gas, which made me consider either the WC 2.5 or the classic AIWB with a monoblock clip for ease of on/off vs two DCC clips. My concern here is that this defeats the purpose of such a thin gun (especially the OG AIWB) by adding a little more bulk to the holster, especially since this would also be the gun used for any socially NPEs. I also considered using only one DCC clip on the WC 2.0 to make it a little easier on/off and could just add the second clip when necessary, like at the range or under clothes w/ a Mastermind covert belt. This SEEMS like the best compromise…

I guess my question boils down to this:
    Have you found one particular holster works best for a single stack vs double stack gun?
    OR
    Do you find that once you find the right holster and positioning for your body that one model of holster rules them all whether it’s hiding a 19 or a 43?

For reference, I’m 5’8” about 160, slight gut, and if I measure behind my belt loops with a holster a la Wilderness belt sizing, I’m a 37-38” belt (even though my jeans say 32). I have been wearing a p365x around the house in a basic comptac holster with a single DCC clip and their claw and it hides pretty easily in a t shirt, fwiw.

Thanks for any advice or anecdotes you may have.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 01-27-2024 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarity & grammar

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Hello folks,
    I recently moved back to VA after 20+yrs behind the lines in MD. So, as I wait for my permit in the mail I’m on the verge of ordering a couple holsters from JMCK for a 19/17 and a 43/48. As I’m sure happens to a lot of you, after endless hours reading everyone’s opinions and experiences I’m in a position of analysis paralysis. I fully understand that I may end up with something completely different than what I start with due to the individual nature of Appendix carry, but I’m looking for a little general advice before I click “checkout.” I’m pretty set on a 2.0 wing claw for the 19/17 due to the stability, adjustability and thinness of the widely spaced clips as stated by many here. I was going to go with the exact same setup for a 43 (in a 48 length holster), but have a couple apprehensions. This will likely be the gun/holster I grab to run out for milk or gas, which made me consider either the WC 2.5 or the classic AIWB with a monoblock clip for ease of on/off vs two DCC clips. My concern here is that this defeats the purpose of such a thin gun (especially the OG AIWB) by adding a little more bulk to the holster, especially since this would also be the gun used for any socially NPEs. I also considered using only one DCC clip on the WC 2.0 to make it a little easier on/off and could just add the second clip when necessary, like at the range or under clothes w/ a Mastermind covert belt. This SEEMS like the best compromise…

I guess my question boils down to this:
    Have you found one particular holster works best for a single stack vs double stack gun?
    OR
    Do you find that once you find the right holster and positioning for your body that one model of holster rules them all whether it’s hiding a 19 or a 43?

For reference, I’m 5’8” about 160, slight gut, and if I measure behind my belt loops with a holster on a la Wilderness belt sizing, I’m a 37-38” belt (even though my jeans say 32). I have been wearing a p365x around the house in a basic comptac holster with a single DCC clip and their claw and it hides pretty easily in a t shirt, fwiw.

Thanks for any advice or anecdotes you may have.
    Personally, I am 6'1" and 165lbs and the original AIWB and George don't work for me at all, they simply add a lot of bulk outwards, without enough grip rotation. I use a JM Wing Claw 2.0 with a single clip over the trigger guard with a wing, a Phlster Skeleton set up this way, or a JM Enigma Shell set up the same way. I personally don't find any need for the second clip over the sight channel, and it would also be right on my centerline at the peak of my narrow frame.

I've used Monoblock holsters, but the standard DCC clips work a lot better for me. If you want a Monoblock, I'd suggest a Wing Claw 2.5 over the George or AIWB, in my experience. The Wing Claw is simply a newer development, and I think that using added breadth side to side via the wing without adding depth is simply a better mousetrap than the bulkier but narrower side to side AIWB/George.

Someone with a different body type than me might have a different experience. If you think you would like the second clip, I would get a Wing Claw 2.0 since it gives you the option to run 2 clips or 1. I find a single triggerguard DCC clip to be similarly stable (allows some rotation but not too much) and convienient (very) as a Monoblock while being lower profile.

I have found that works well with a G19 or G17 sized gun, works equally well with a G48/365XL sized gun.

Another important component of AIWB to me is a Mastermind Pillow Wedge or other foam wedge. For me, they tuck the top end of the gun into my body helpfully while also increasing comfort. These are very subjective/personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Personally, I am 6'1" and 165lbs and the original AIWB and George don't work for me at all, they simply add a lot of bulk outwards, without enough grip rotation. I use a JM Wing Claw 2.0 with a single clip over the trigger guard with a wing, a Phlster Skeleton set up this way, or a JM Enigma Shell set up the same way. I personally don't find any need for the second clip over the sight channel, and it would also be right on my centerline at the peak of my narrow frame.

I've used Monoblock holsters, but the standard DCC clips work a lot better for me. If you want a Monoblock, I'd suggest a Wing Claw 2.5 over the George or AIWB, in my experience. The Wing Claw is simply a newer development, and I think that using added breadth side to side via the wing without adding depth is simply a better mousetrap than the bulkier but narrower side to side AIWB/George.

Someone with a different body type than me might have a different experience. If you think you would like the second clip, I would get a Wing Claw 2.0 since it gives you the option to run 2 clips or 1. I find a single triggerguard DCC clip to be similarly stable (allows some rotation but not too much) and convienient (very) as a Monoblock while being lower profile.

I have found that works well with a G19 or G17 sized gun, works equally well with a G48/365XL sized gun.

Another important component of AIWB to me is a Mastermind Pillow Wedge or other foam wedge. For me, they tuck the top end of the gun into my body helpfully while also increasing comfort. These are very subjective/personal.
    Thanks very much for the reply, that’s good info 🍻. I’m gonna get one flat and one wedge pad to try out for sure.

Different gun types work in different holsters for me. With small guns, I can do the single clip over the trigger guard just fine, and in your shoes I may try that for the 43/48 holster.

I also find that I like a 2.5 with center mounted DCCs for polymer guns, but need a clip over the trigger guard for steel frame 1911s because of the extra weight in the grip. I have not found the 2.5 DCC setup to add noticeable bulk compared to a 2.0 and I choose which I’m using based on the gun type, but others do notice a difference. Benefits to the 2.5 would be easier on/off because the clips are closer together and the retention adjustment is separate from clip mounting. Also, if you have the hardware for it, you can mount a DCC over the trigger guard on a 2.5 and get kindof a 2.25, but you’d need the right spacers as a 2.5 doesn’t come with them (I’m sure Tony could provide them but I did that to my holster with parts on hand).

Another point in favor of the 2.0 is that it works very well with an Enigma if you ever decide to get one. My current primary setup is an Enigma-1911-2.0 combo and I’m really liking it.

Finally, ending up with a few of the things isn’t bad, because even the highest quality kydex holsters are ultimately wear items, even if it takes years of very frequent use to break one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    Different gun types work in different holsters for me. With small guns, I can do the single clip over the trigger guard just fine, and in your shoes I may try that for the 43/48 holster.

I also find that I like a 2.5 with center mounted DCCs for polymer guns, but need a clip over the trigger guard for steel frame 1911s because of the extra weight in the grip. I have not found the 2.5 DCC setup to add noticeable bulk compared to a 2.0 and I choose which I’m using based on the gun type, but others do notice a difference. Benefits to the 2.5 would be easier on/off because the clips are closer together and the retention adjustment is separate from clip mounting. Also, if you have the hardware for it, you can mount a DCC over the trigger guard on a 2.5 and get kindof a 2.25, but you’d need the right spacers as a 2.5 doesn’t come with them (I’m sure Tony could provide them but I did that to my holster with parts on hand).

Another point in favor of the 2.0 is that it works very well with an Enigma if you ever decide to get one. My current primary setup is an Enigma-1911-2.0 combo and I’m really liking it.

Finally, ending up with a few of the things isn’t bad, because even the highest quality kydex holsters are ultimately wear items, even if it takes years of very frequent use to break one.
    Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

After Noah and Elwin’s remarks, I was looking at all the options on the website and came up with this question:
    Has anyone tried running only one DCC clip on the WC 2.5? Does it even make sense on this holster since they’re side by side?
    Seems like I could order the Monoblock clip AND the DCC option on the 2.5 for more options with the G43/48. The minimal, if any, perceived additional thickness wouldn’t be much of an issue with the thinner gun, and would give even more options. Just chewing it around a little more before I place my order tonight. I’m sticking with the 2.0 for the 19.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 01-27-2024 at 01:50 PM.

Personally, I am 6'1" and 165lbs and the original AIWB and George don't work for me at all, they simply add a lot of bulk outwards, without enough grip rotation.
    The George seems to be the sweet spot for us more girthy folks.

Site Supporter
    After Noah and Elwin’s remarks, I was looking at all the options on the website and came up with this question:
    Has anyone tried running only one DCC clip on the WC 2.5? Does it even make sense on this holster since they’re side by side?
    Seems like I could order the Monoblock clip AND the DCC option on the 2.5 for more options with the G43/48. The minimal, if any, perceived additional thickness wouldn’t be much of an issue with the thinner gun, and would give even more options. Just chewing it around a little more before I place my order tonight. I’m sticking with the 2.0 for the 19.
    Plenty of people run holsters that way! I prefer the single DCC clip over the trigger guard, because with 1 clip on the middle of the holster, it's closer to the peak of my stomach, and, since the leverage point farther away from the trigger guard, it is easier for a bit of rotation to sink the grip too close to the belt line, unless you carry the gun a little higher over the belt.

With the 1 clip right over the trigger guard, the small amount of rotation you do get will not significantly affect your amount of access to the frontstrap and bottom of the trigger guard for your draw.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Plenty of people run holsters that way! I prefer the single DCC clip over the trigger guard, because with 1 clip on the middle of the holster, it's closer to the peak of my stomach, and, since the leverage point farther away from the trigger guard, it is easier for a bit of rotation to sink the grip too close to the belt line, unless you carry the gun a little higher over the belt.

With the 1 clip right over the trigger guard, the small amount of rotation you do get will not significantly affect your amount of access to the frontstrap and bottom of the trigger guard for your draw.
    Thanks again Noah. I decided to order the 2.0 and see how it goes. I also just swapped the monoblock clip off a holster and put a DCC clip over the wing, and it does hold pretty well. That’s with a relatively heavy and chunky 228. I bought this holster mainly as a trigger guard cover since I don’t intend to carry this, but it seems to work better with the single clip… I initially figured this holster was just too thick to be practical (it’s good quality, but from what I’ve heard and seen, not as refined as JMCK and others. It was worth the modest price for the intended purpose). But after just changing the clips, it’s better than expected. Getting rid of the hardware on the front did make a difference for me, and it seems to tuck marginally better. Name:  IMG_2556.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  50.6 KBName:  IMG_2555.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  45.1 KB
    Have a good one.

ETA: I should say though, that this was the third attempt to find a kydex holster that properly fit my 228. One company whose ads you see all over YouTube promising an exact fit to your gun failed twice to do so. I’m skeptical of holsters for 228/229 because of the variation in the earlier 2 piece slides and the milled slides as well as the trigger guards. Anyway, this one clicks in nicely, but at the expense of some unnecessary space around the slide which makes it thicker than it needs to be.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 01-27-2024 at 05:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Thanks again Noah. I decided to order the 2.0 and see how it goes. I also just swapped the monoblock clip off a holster and put a DCC clip over the wing, and it does hold pretty well. That’s with a relatively heavy and chunky 228. I bought this holster mainly as a trigger guard cover since I don’t intend to carry this, but it seems to work better with the single clip… I initially figured this holster was just too thick to be practical (it’s good quality, but from what I’ve heard and seen, not as refined as JMCK and others. It was worth the modest price for the intended purpose). But after just changing the clips, it’s better than expected. Getting rid of the hardware on the front did make a difference for me, and it seems to tuck marginally better. Name:  IMG_2556.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  50.6 KBName:  IMG_2555.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  45.1 KB
    Have a good one.

ETA: I should say though, that this was the third attempt to find a kydex holster that properly fit my 228. One company whose ads you see all over YouTube promising an exact fit to your gun failed twice to do so. I’m skeptical of holsters for 228/229 because of the variation in the earlier 2 piece slides and the milled slides as well as the trigger guards. Anyway, this one clicks in nicely, but at the expense of some unnecessary space around the slide which makes it thicker than it needs to be.
    FYI, I use hard plastic spacers to bump out the DCC clip to avoid that "out and in and back out at the wing" shape of the belt and have a smooth beltline profile

I too am wearing dark blue jeans, black and white vans, and a dark tee shirt haha

Do you have a wedge on that holster? It's tucking pretty well already

User Tag List