Page 12 of 221 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCz View Post
    When carrying AIWB while in a car, the lap seat belt is situated directly over the pistol. This would be unpleasant, to say the least, in the event of a wreck. What do y'all do to fix this,if anything?
    I meant to come back to this with a serious answer and forgot.

In the past few days, I've driven two Infiniti sedans and a Chevy sedan as well as riding shotgun in a Nissan SUV and an Acura. In all five vehicles, when properly situated, the the lap belt is low on my body and well below the grip of my pistol.

When I get in the vehicle, I belt in and then untuck my cover garment from beneath the lap belt. The chest restraint lies normally and whether it contacts the gun or not, pulling up on my cover garment gets it out of the way for a draw.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    properly situated, the the lap belt is low on my body and well below the grip of my pistol.

When I get in the vehicle, I belt in and then untuck my cover garment from beneath the lap belt. The chest restraint lies normally and whether it contacts the gun or not, pulling up on my cover garment gets it out of the way for a draw.
    Same Same here.

Maybe I'm wearing my gun or seat belt wrong then, but for me the lap belt comes across the gun's slide, below the grip. The belt exerts force on the slide, into my abdomen.

Here is a highly technical and brilliantly executed drawing to illustrate.

[IMG]By texascz at 2011-03-09[/IMG]

edit: I think you can see it now...
    Last edited by TCz; 03-09-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Trying to get the durn pic to show up

Thanks JV and Todd for the help. Now I just have to make my mind up between one for the G17 or G19. Or just buy both and sell whichever one I don't use.

Belts?

Is there any model or style of belt that you all have found particularly well- (or poorly-) suited to AIWB carry?

The buckle on the belt I've been wearing for the past few years broke recently. Thankfully it was at a moment I didn't have my gun on; shame on me for not having it but a lucky break on the timing since I was walking up to the counter at the pediatrician's office to pay.

I've always worn a heavy stiff leather belt vs. the nylon models, though I do have an Ares Ranger belt. It's extremely stiff though and the little adjustment tongue is perfectly placed to find its way into a trigger guard.

ETA: This may be worthy of a separate thread, if so move it or I'll start one.

Re: belts for AIWB.

I think whatever carry belt you normally would use is fine. If the tongue or extra fold-over flap (on Wilderness type belts) gets in the way just pull the buckle part around to your weak side ... thus wearing the belt off center. You are probably wearing your shirt tail out anyway, right?

I have to do this occasionally when wearing forward of 3 o'clock with regular OWB holsters because I ordered my last Wilderness belt too long.

I think I even noticed TLG wearing his belt waaaaay off center this weekend and I suspect it's for the same reason. No, I wasn't staring at his crotch or belt area. I was just watching him closely during the draw.

In my experience the added length of the G17 holster helps keep the G19 gripframe closer to the body.

The leather backing makes the holster more comfortabe against the skin.

I like nylon belts for two reasons:

1. It's easier to offset the buckle. The buckle generally takes up less space and is easier to adjust when in close proximity to a belt buckle. I find this helps with printing, or if you carry multiple items forward of you hips.

2. They are adjustable in basically infinitely small increments. This helps with comfort immensely. With a leather belt you are limited by the space between the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Is there any model or style of belt that you all have found particularly well- (or poorly-) suited to AIWB carry?

The buckle on the belt I've been wearing for the past few years broke recently. Thankfully it was at a moment I didn't have my gun on; shame on me for not having it but a lucky break on the timing since I was walking up to the counter at the pediatrician's office to pay.

I've always worn a heavy stiff leather belt vs. the nylon models, though I do have an Ares Ranger belt. It's extremely stiff though and the little adjustment tongue is perfectly placed to find its way into a trigger guard.

ETA: This may be worthy of a separate thread, if so move it or I'll start one.
    I've worn my Ares Ranger a few times for AIWB carry. It works ok, but seems to add a little extra bulk up front due to the Cobra buckle and the belt being overlapped on itself due to the Ares design. Still its a great gun toting belt with great support. So far the best belt for me has been a Wilderness Instructor or Frequent Flyer belt. Both work great for me and support both gun and mag(s) concealed. I don't have a solid leather belt for gun carry, gonna try a Belt Man or 5Shot in the near future. For belt selection, I think the same principles apply as for any carry belt selection, it needs to have good solid support and not roll over due to weight of the items/weapons carried.

Site Supporter
    Unless I am carrying tuck-able AIWB, I offset the buckle to around four o'clock. Not only does this get the buckle out of the way, if for some reason the buckle breaks, my holster is still relatively secure due to the distance it is from the end of the belt.

User Tag List