Page 96 of 221 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

This is why i switched back to leather. It breaks in and conforms to the body. Detrimental for side carry, beneficial for aiwb. The bottom of nylon belts dig into the holster while the top barely touches. Creates an effect of higher ride height for tuck without the benefits of a more exposed grip. I LOVE my 5 stitch 1.75" Wilderness but switched to an AG custom bull hide for appendix.

Hey guys, brand new here. I joined last week after becoming interested in AIWB carry and seeing how many big names have converted to this form of carry. A link to this thread was shared with me after I started a thread about appendix carry at xdtalk.com. I didn't see a new member forum so I figured I'd say hello here.

I've be carrying strong side in a hybrid holster for the last 4 years or so. I am still very interested in giving AIWB a go but it seems like any of the holsters that are held in high regards here are pretty expensive and have huge lead times. I'm pretty hesitant to spend $75 plus on a holster that I am not sure if I am going to like. I am 5' 9"/175 lbs....no 6 pack but I don't think I have too much excess in my mid region to carry appendix based off some of the photos I have seen of other members. I just looked through classifieds looking for a Shaggy or a JM Customs (G19) and they don't seem to last long! lol

Anyways, looking forward to spending some more time here as it is very apparent that there is a ton knowledge on this board.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno785 View Post
    I just looked through classifieds looking for a Shaggy or a JM Customs (G19) and they don't seem to last long!
    That might make it a little more palatable to take a risk on one of them. If it doesn't work for you, they're very easy to resell at little to no loss.

Spend about $20 and just try a Trigger Guard Holster
    Tried several different AIWB holsters but none suited me. I then decided to try a trigger guard type and that hit the sweet spot for me.

I have both a MIC and a Vanguard 2. I like the MIC better.
    The Vanguard tends to dig into my leg
    (I may cut off the end on the Vanguard) and I don't like the loop. I use the lanyard.

On both I have the lanyard tied shorter to keep the pistol from riding too low and the holster comes off as soon as the pistol clears my belt.

The loop on the Vanguard holds the pistol in place and won't let it move but you need to unsnap it, remove and then place back on pistol before putting back in pants and re-snap.

The lanyard lets the pistol float with a small amount of movement and to me that is more comfortable as I move, sit or drive.

With the shorter cord my pistol is already pointed away from my body as I draw.
    I clear the belt in a forward direction, the cord pulls the holster off as soon as I go forward a very little way.
    Another thing I like is the trigger is covered by replacing the trigger guard before you stick the pistol back in your belt.

It took several tries before I settled on the cord length.

I also tried both with a Clip Draw but decided the Clip Draw was not needed and shirt couldn't be tucked using it.
    My waist size is 38.
    I wear size 38 pants/jeans or shorts and they work well with AIWB and the trigger guard. Don't need a bigger size.
    Last edited by ken grant; 02-03-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Hi everybody. I'm a new member to this site but I've followed it (roughly) since 2013. Semi-long post but thanks for the opportunity! I love this site! Todd's original post is what helped me start carrying appendix in 2013. I did the typical hybrid style for a few months when I first started carrying but I didn't dig it at all. Comfort wise, it was great. But if I wanted to do anything other than...oh....stand or wear a jacket or XXL shirt (I'm 6'0, 185-ish) it would print and I would be self conscious about it. Then I'm on YouTube like anybody else over thinking and saw somebody doing appendix, did some research, which led me to here. Todd's OP was what I needed to read. My first carry gun was a Sig P250 and I tried appendix carry with that in a rig made by a guy who oddly, no longer sells holsters, or if he does he completely changed his brand, website, the whole 9 yards. Problem with the holster was it was belt loop, nothing to keep the butt tucked in and made the gun flop over. Seems to be a common problem. So I did more research and came across K Rounds appendix holster which up until two weeks ago, I carried exclusively from like October 2013 with a Glock 22. Fantastic piece of kydex but the genius part is the strut and belt loop combination. Without going into a ton of detail, it basically allows you to unholster the holster from your pants while still mounted, reholster the gun, then stuff it back in. There's also enough play in it so that when you sit down it doesn't jab you in the uncomfortable places, it just sort of moves with you. The strut is angled to tuck the butt of the gun in and the soft loop used pull-the-dot snaps. Very well made, very nice holster.

Fast forward to about two weeks ago, I get G-Code's INCOG in the mail because I eventually want to start carrying that extra mag up front and just be able to grab it all at once and go. I've only seen the INCOG mentioned on here maybe twice but it could have been more, I just don't remember at the moment. Since most of this thread has been about holsters I thought I'd give my initial review of carrying and playing with this holster:

The Good: Stupidly well made, positive retention with adjustable retention. You get a positive snap when the holster locks in. The fuzz, while I was initially stupified by it because I thought it was pretty dumb, is actually pretty comfortable. A lot of people on reviews of the holster have complained that it keeps the holster put, which isn't a bad thing, but like me, want a little bit of play when you sit, bend etc. Well that can be remedied by removing the "top side" belt clip and only having the one under the trigger guard. Found this out yesterday. <shrugs> So in a slight re-explanation, what actually keeps the holster in place...are BOTH clips. I feel that the second clip will only be really useful once a mag caddy is installed, which I don't have yet. It is ride height adjustable and IF you wanted to go that route, cant adjustable for wearing it in other positions other than appendix. However, it is 98% an appendix holster, especially when you add the mag caddy. The clips are TOUGH and angled much like the K Rounds strut to tuck the butt of the gun in. The neat thing I noticed is that they have sort of a positive "lock" as well. On one of my super thick gun belts, it's almost too difficult to pull the clip over it but once it gets over it, you get a snap and it's on. I'm weary of clips personally but my due diligence won't let me do anything until I really try it out. I do have two extra K Rounds strut/loop combos I can make work if need be.

The Bad: Shortly, if you're not going to add the mag caddy, it's having that 2nd clip. It locks the holster in place with no give. Almost at all. If it moves, it's so little I can't tell. A BUNCH of reviews I've seen have had people on forums either take the second clip off and wear it with one and baddabing or even go so far as to cut that tab off and that's the end of ever having a mag caddy and second clip. Another bad for others, but not for me, not yet anyway...is the open bottom sight channel. Some people don't care (me) and some people hate it and think it's the devil and call on a full exorcism. Whatever. Proper steel sights shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure of any other short comings as of yet, I'm not saying there aren't any but keep in mind I carried the K Rounds for a little over a year and have had an INCOG for like, two weeks tops and am still tweaking it. Oh, and customer service. I had an XST holster from them back before I even had a CHL in 2012, awesome customer service then. When I ordered the INCOG, awful customer service. I ordered two, one for an XD45 and one for a Glock, got rid of the XD a week after the order, sent an email, no response. Called, didn't get a person. Called again two days later, didn't get a person. Called a third time two days after the last call, didn't get a person, left a message, never received a call back. Got ONE email notification four weeks after the original order saying it's about to ship and received BOTH the XD and Glock holsters 4 days later. Take into account it's an average of four week wait time as well. No CS to speak of to me, means if I'm not in love with this holster in a month, I'm going back to K Rounds, after....

The Interesting: G-Code seems to have noticed the tweaking done by people with that second clip and have now introduced their INCOG Eclipse. It is a purpose built, one clip, never going to have a mag caddy INCOG. A different change they've made is with the machined mounting hardware. On the original INCOG, it was just a spacer style but on the new one, it arcs over to the very middle of the holster, supposedly the "natural center-line" of the gun according to G-Code. Not many reviews out yet but two of them hate the new "super mojo" as G-Code calls it as they say it's bulkier and doesn't really add to carry. Both moved the clip over to the "original" spot. One guy had an extra original piece of hardware, the other made his own. I have since ordered an Eclipse just to see what the fuss is about, because I like checking out new gear mostly. It arrived while I was typing this so I will check it this week. Upon initial reactions, it pretty much solves the double clip issue for the original INCOG.

Overall, the K Rounds is the optimal holster for me in my opinion. I don't have a photo of mine currently because my dad has it as he has nothing to cover his Glock's trigger guard while being stored. The photo with the firearm shows my INCOG sans the "top side" clip and the struts from K Rounds and the second is my just arrived INCOG Eclipse.

What do you all think of the Vanguard 2? Figured I'd give it a whirl, but seems a bit pricey @$40 for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs6 View Post
    What do you all think of the Vanguard 2? Figured I'd give it a whirl, but seems a bit pricey @$40 for what it is.
    It's not a savings over say a $75 or more purpose built AIWB holster. I say that with the caveat that I assume you plan to actually train with your carry holster and prefer comfort over convenience of attachment.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs6 View Post
    I use one with a 19 a lot and like it. It's the easiest on/off holster I have and is very low profile. It's very comfortable for me but I can see how it might allow the muzzle to dig in on some people.

It's a PITA to train with but there is virtually no chance of an ND when using one. I've owned several different higher end and not so high end appendix holsters and it's the one I currently use most often. It's especially handy if I know I'm going to have to disarm and rearm multiple times during the day.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've had JM Custom, Shaggy, Cane & Derby, Phlster, etc. JM Custom was the best for me of all of those. However, I decided to stick w/ Glocks and I just have trouble hiding that darn G19 for some reason. Other guns aren't quite as difficult. The grip just juts out for some reason on it. M&P hid pretty darn well. So, before going all in on a JM again, which are great, I thought I might give the non bulk world of the vanguard 2 a try. I can always buy a $35 holster from bladetech for training.

Do you find it holds close to the body rather well? I'm concerned that although there is no bulk, the grip won't tuck against the body very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_9...ature=youtu.be

Luv a MIC , like a Vanguard 11 but thinking about trying the above.

User Tag List