Page 61 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

When I placed the order initially, I followed the instructions you quoted. They were ordered for a P226. The packaging didn't specify which size was sent. I'm in the middle of a patrol shift at the moment but would be glad to measure them for you when I get home if that helps.

T

EDIT: PM sent to avoid further clutter
    Last edited by taadski; 08-10-2012 at 12:10 PM.

I'm new to AIWB so I've been playing around with a SIRT as well. As Todd has mentioned in previous posts, angle is critical for safe reholstering. If the holster is pushed toward the body during reholstering, the results are undesirable:

From my practice I have also noticed that hip position plays a critical role in ensuring safe reholstering. A "netural" hip position or a slightly leaning forward position can result in the muzzle sweeping your body even prior to the handgun entering the holster:

The best way to ensure that the muzzle clears my body entirely has been to push my hips as far forward as possible and slightly leaning backward. The result is that at no time does the muzzle sweep any body part:

This will not win you any cool-guy points on the range as you look like a bad 80s disco dancer suffering from a cramp, but, coupled with Todd's excellent advice to push the grip into your gut, you should not run into any major issues throughout the reholstering cycle:

I can see the appeal of a "fail safe" "bullet proof" holster that would ensure a last resort measure during a ND; however there are safety steps to mitigate that from occurring in the first place (thumb safety, hammer, "the gadget", proper body position, visually and physically clearing the holster of obstructions", angle, hard-break, etc).

Note: I apologize but the top-down photos have been flipped 180 for clarity, thus it appears I am left handed when I am actually using my right hand.

Had a revelation while looking at the latest threads here on PF. When this thread started AIWB options were pretty limited, with the unobtainium Shaggy being the best option and very few other options, period, much less good ones. Now look at all the (very good, judging by the reviews) holsters that are out there: JRC, JM, Darkstar, Keepers, looks like PSS will soon have something, the long awaited 5Shot rig, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.
    I've got the itch for a new AIWB holster and the problem now is not availability, it's deciding WHICH one to buy. How far we've come, and kudos to all the makers that have stepped up and turned out great gear for a very difficult niche.
    ETA : great pictures yute, makes everything crystal clear.
    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NickA; 08-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    I'm new to AIWB so I've been playing around with a SIRT as well. As Todd has mentioned in previous posts, angle is critical for safe reholstering. If the holster is pushed toward the body during reholstering, the results are undesirable:
    Thanks for that great illustration. I've also found that taking a half step back with the strong side leg (or forward with the other one) seems to work well for me. It doesn't really change the angles so much, but it does serve to pull the important items like the artery out of the muzzle line. Not sure if it will work the same for you as it looks like you carry more centered than I do, but I'd be curious to hear about it and any thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by mchasal View Post
    Thanks for that great illustration. I've also found that taking a half step back with the strong side leg (or forward with the other one) seems to work well for me. It doesn't really change the angles so much, but it does serve to pull the important items like the artery out of the muzzle line. Not sure if it will work the same for you as it looks like you carry more centered than I do, but I'd be curious to hear about it and any thoughts.
    Thank you for the kind words - I am a novice at this so please do take my words with a grain of salt. As you mentioned, taking a step back with the foot on the holster side (or a step forward on the opposite die) helps to prevent muzzle sweeps to the leg when standing fully upright - however, I have noticed that even with the legs moved apart, a slight (10-15 degree) forward lean in the upper body will still result in the muzzle sweeping the groin region. My concern is that there may be environments where someone might not be conscious of their body's posture (e.g. a slope where people naturally lean forward to compensate), where inadvertent muzzling may occur. At least for me, hip position is a more consistent factor that I can control regardless of environment.

Interestingly, putting your holster side foot back does make pushing your hips out less awkward - so combining the two techniques might not be a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    I can see the appeal of a "fail safe" "bullet proof" holster that would ensure a last resort measure during a ND; however there are safety steps to mitigate that from occurring in the first place (thumb safety, hammer, "the gadget", proper body position, visually and physically clearing the holster of obstructions", angle, hard-break, etc).
    Awesome pictures, dude, thanks for that! I agree that holster technique is important. Even so, if a safer holster comes out that is just as good as the JRC/Shaggy/Keeper/DarkStar stuff, why not? Safer is safer, right?

But if I'm honest, this idea interests me more because I just can't leave well enough alone. Combine that with a healthy dose of hubris ("how hard can it be?") and I'm always looking to tweak and fiddle with even the most proven time-tested stuff. Once in a while something good comes out of it. In the meanwhile, tinkering is fun.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

One of my (many) developed bad habits that Todd corrected during last weekend's AFHF in RI was my AIWB reholstering. Yes, I was taking a hard break while scanning and yes, I was going slow back to the holster but I did not even realized I was angling the muzzle into my lower abdomen just enough to create an unsafe situation. No good!

Gadget, Gadget, Gadget...

Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?
    Sheep Have Wool

Personally, I'd ride the hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    Question: I've got a P30LS, the model with the ambi thumb safety. Ride the safety or the hammer during holstering? Or does it matter?
    Ride the hammer.

The safety may fail internally, but the gun simply cannot fire if the hammer doesn't come back.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

User Tag List