Thread: Fixed Blade Carry in VA

Fixed Blade Carry in VA

Anyone carry a defensive fixed blade knife like a TDI in VA? Looking at the law opinions are varied to whether you can or not. Im leaning towards the can but I'm curious to know peoples experiences.

I've never been able to find a definitive answer to this.

Assuming you want to CC the TDI, the relevant VA Code is 18.2-308: https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...0+cod+18.2-308

State wise there is the question of what is a "dirk" and what does "any weapon of like kind" really mean.

Sadly the VA CHP doesn't cover blades.

Good luck trying to find a definitive answer, I sure haven't been able to.

Dirk is a term used to describe a long stabbing dagger in older days. However It also covers "Bowie Knives", Switchblades etc.

In VA I would opt against carrying a fixed blade knife with a blade longer than 4".

It's stupid easy to get a CHP here in VA, so best bet is get one and carry your gun.

Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Kevin,

Reading the linked statute I didn't notice anything relevant to 4". Are you saying that because a dirk or bowie is typically longer?

It also mentions razors so I would assume length is not the determining factor. Of course I could be wrong....

I would like to carry a fixed blade in addition to a CHG but always hit a wall when reading the laws and don't see a way to do it.

Can you offer any additional info in the 4" length?

Thanks
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Dirk is a term used to describe a long stabbing dagger in older days. However It also covers "Bowie Knives", Switchblades etc.

In VA I would opt against carrying a fixed blade knife with a blade longer than 4".

It's stupid easy to get a CHP here in VA, so best bet is get one and carry your gun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

User Tag List