Thread: Have you used the Dale Fricke Joshua? Looking for tuckable IWB.

Have you used the Dale Fricke Joshua? Looking for tuckable IWB.

It's getting warm and I'm starting to shed the sport coats and such. I'd really like to be able to choose tucked or untucked t-shirts and polos most of the time this summer, and I prefer tucked almost all the time. I've lost a bunch of weight with a bunch to go, and most of my dry-fit polos and such just look sloppy untucked.
    However, I have to disarm in a parking lot before work every morning and then re-arm afterwards, and it's a PITA with a hybrid holster like the Crossbreed I used to use in other states.

So, I'd like to find a reasonably comfortable, secure IWB tuckable holster. I'd prefer that it pull the butt of the grip in as tight as possible against my body, and I'd also like it to be as easy as possible to get on and off. My next purchase will probably be a G19, but right now the butt of the G17 is the part most likely to print a little. This is likely to be worn between 3:00 and 4:00. I've seen people advise against using holsters designed for AIWB for strong-side carry, but I don't really know why. It seems like something like the Dale Fricke Archangel II would probably work well, but I don't claim to know. The most intriguing thing I've found so far, though, is the Dale Fricke Joshua. So:

• Anybody used the Dale Fricke Joshua a lot? What did you think?
    • Anybody have other suggestions for tuckable IWB holsters I should look at?
    • Anybody used a holster designed for AIWB as a strong-side IWB? Specifically, something tuckable like the Dale Fricke Archangel II? Did it cause you any trouble?

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

Site Supporter
    I think the handicap with using AIWB holsters for IWB behind the hip is that most AIWB holsters have no cant. AIWB are usually pretty close to vertical, so you'll have to work a little harder to get the pistol out if you carry it at 3:00 to 4:00. Given your situation, I think I'd just use my ArchAngel AIWB and then tuck my shirt in after I got to work (and removed my pistol). If you use the tuck function, you'll have to untuck and retuck your shirt anyway. The ArchAngel is very easy to remove. I take mine off and put back on all the time in my car.

You might also consider the Garret Industries Slim Appendix Silent Thunder. I have no experience with this exact holster, but before they were selling the AIWB holster, I bought one of their strong side IWB holsters that has adjustable cant and works pretty well for AIWB. The belt clips are a bit of a weak spot on these holsters though. I've had to order replacements for mine.

These are really the only two holsters I've used. I'm sure there are other good options that I just don't know about.

I've done quite of bit of tuckable holstering and it's a real PITA trying to get on and off in a car. For your situation, I would carry a j frame in my pocket during my commute and have the full size gun and holster readily available in the console, if you've got a quick stop to grab coffee or gas or something you can either just roll with the pocket gun or untuck your shirt/throw on a cover garment and put on the real gun depending on your risk analysis of the situation.

FWIW, I started doing that last summer when I went from AIWB, tuckable - to a standard 3:00 carry under a sports coat and I've found that the j frame has become my always gun and my full size is my almost always gun and it works pretty well. I've now got a decent tuckable 3:00 set up but it's a put it on the morning and don't mess with it if you can help it kind of thing.

I'm a big fan of Fricke but would not use an exposed-slide holster like the Joshua. It's too easy to bump or flex the gun out of retention, plus holstering a hot pistol while practicing could result in an 0.355" circle brand on a valuable asset.

Given your situation, I think I'd just use my ArchAngel AIWB and then tuck my shirt in after I got to work (and removed my pistol). If you use the tuck function, you'll have to untuck and retuck your shirt anyway. The ArchAngel is very easy to remove. I take mine off and put back on all the time in my car.
    Frankly, I don't have the guts to carry AIWB because I don't want to take the risk of a lot of live-fire training AIWB. I rarely draw or holster a gun in my day-to-day life, and I trust a holstered gun to be safe, but if I carried AIWB I'd want to do my own practice and take classes that way . . . . and I'm just not there. Carrying a Glock makes that worse. For now, I'm looking for a strong-side solution. Besides, you have got two buttocks to sit upon, which, while comfortable, is probably inhibiting you in the confined quarters of your vehicle.

I've done quite of bit of tuckable holstering and it's a real PITA trying to get on and off in a car. For your situation, I would carry a j frame in my pocket during my commute and have the full size gun and holster readily available in the console, if you've got a quick stop to grab coffee or gas or something you can either just roll with the pocket gun or untuck your shirt/throw on a cover garment and put on the real gun depending on your risk analysis of the situation.
    I'm . . . probably not going to do that right away, but I want you to know that I like your attitude. Specifically, I like that your solution to a problem with holstering one gun is to go buy another gun and holster.
    It's tempting, but I'm really trying to master one system before I move to others. Otherwise it feels like I'll jump around like I do and never find enough focus to master one.

I'm a big fan of Fricke but would not use an exposed-slide holster like the Joshua. It's too easy to bump or flex the gun out of retention, plus holstering a hot pistol while practicing could result in an 0.355" circle brand on a valuable asset.
    I hadn't thought of that . . . I've been thinking of the open end as an asset because I could use the same holster for G19/G17.
    And again, we come back to reholstering as the most dangerous thing.

You've all given me food for thought. But I still think I want a tuckable option, even if I might end up using it less than I hope right now. During the hottest summer months, for instance, I won't have to do my daily dance for work (I'm a school teacher by trade.) And I definitely want to be able to walk around in jeans, cargo shorts or slacks with tucked shirts.

However:
    The Garrett Silent Thunder IWB looks like the closest thing I've found to what I'm picturing. I see it also allows for canting . . . full length slide protection . . . interchangeable clips with tuckable options including tuckable with snap loops and various clips. And they sell IWB tuckable single magazine carriers, too. So . . . new question. Anybody know of other brands or holsters I should consider before I shell out for the Garrett and try it out?
    I checked to see if they'll be at NRAAM this month, but neither Fricke nor Garrett will be. I realize I may be walking around there and see something that works, so maybe I should just wait. Garrett says they usually ship within a week, so I have time. But right now Garrett is a strong contender. Thanks, Pangloss. Truly, yours is the best of all possible gun forum posts.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

User Tag List