Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED conversion module for OLD SureFire G2

Deleted.
    Late to the party concerning the Amazon led bulbs.
    Last edited by Chefdog; 04-12-2014 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    The cheap import alternatives were disappointing, even for the $10 price point. Blue color and lower than advertised output were the norm.
    No doubt. Again, if it were a primary light, I'd have gone with a Malkoff. If this one just puts out some light, I'll be happy. The odds of it ever being needed are very slim.

But I need it to be LED, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    McGizmo did the reflector... I'm in. I've heard of these guys, off and on over the years, but never actually seen any of their wares.

You're saying the brass housing the unit comes in isn't a good enough heat sink?

The Malkoff brass housing is excellent, but I'm honestly not sure how long you will have the light turned on. If it's just an intermittent flashbulb "there's my keys" sort of thing, the polymer bezel will be fine.

If you are going to be searching for a lost child in a rain storm, it might be a benefit to have the additional thermal goodness.

I'm in no way at all trying to talk down or belittle anyone, just elaborating a bit in answer to the question asked.

And if all you want is an inexpensive 300-ish lumen Cree, send me your address. I've got a couple of spares laying in a drawer, and will throw one in the mail to you free gratis.

I bought several led. conversion lamps from Amazon one is just on/ off and I use it all the time for long periods of time .one other that came shipped wrong, we'll really 3 were shipped wrong is a low, med, high, strobe, and SOS this dosnt see much action it stays in the car. I also updated a sure fire weapon mounted light on my shotgun with the on/ off model.I am pleased with all of them and would buy them again, they are all made with Cree led's which are some of the best out there.

Site Supporter
    I'm a big Malkoff fan, but if you're looking for a slightly less expensive option, I've had very good luck with the drop-ins from customlites.com. Dave, the owner of customlites, uses a more traditional P60 format drop-in, but the electronics are still fully potted, so they're very durable.

Seems like a bunch of you have these things laying around… I've had several offers to send one gratis.

Greatly appreciate all of that, and I took up one fellow on his offer.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The Malkoff brass housing is excellent, but I'm honestly not sure how long you will have the light turned on. If it's just an intermittent flashbulb "there's my keys" sort of thing, the polymer bezel will be fine.

If you are going to be searching for a lost child in a rain storm, it might be a benefit to have the additional thermal goodness.
    Understand completely. No, this one is going to be a "spare for a spare", if you will. I've been slowly converting my household lights to AA power, but still use 123-powered lights for EDC/in-the-warbag. So, with a stash of 123s on hand, its worth the effort to make this old G2 hotwire into an LED back-up light, for one of the grandkids, etc.

I have a hybrid I threw together, using an old KL3 head, new 6P body, and Z49 clickie tail cap, that I use as a dumping ground for the partially-spent 123s I change out of my E1B and A2 periodically. Its my workbench hand-held, so it dying unexpectedly is no big deal.

This old G2 will serve the same purpose, I think.

surfire will send you free replacement parts like a metal G2 bezel , tails caps etc.

I have a couple of malkoff drop ins dating back to about 2008(?). still going strong

User Tag List