Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Witnessed Model 1911 600yd shot

Born in Combat and tested there by Marines, Delta and CIA since 1987 the Combat NCO remains the only "Offensive use" 400 yard accurate military pistol designed for that duty in the world today
    This also helps to explain Soviet rotary winged aircraft losses in Afghanistan in 1987-1988.

There is a humorous aspect to the Lippard 600yd shooting event, which many of the subsequent posts have highlighted. The 600yd shoot does seem like something off of the show "Hot Shots", and I have enjoyed reading all of the resulting posts.

However....Mr. Lippard does have some bona fide shooter and gunsmith credentials - such as Marine Sgt wounded 5 times in Viet Nam, worked on improvements of the gatling gun on the F4 Phantom, package designed the F8 Crusader and A7A weapons matrix and wiring systems, worked on the Apollo space program.

In the Marine Corps in 1963, Lippard matched the Camp Matthews range record on his first day of shooting with a 248/250.
    http://karllippard.com/Our_History.html

I was hoping that the technical aspects of his improving the M 1911 barrel lock up and durability (military link) would draw some of the curiosity of the more engineering oriented forum members. I am not qualified to fully appraise his efforts in this area.

"The new Karl Lippard Patents take the John Browning design to levels far beyond what was achievable in late 1800's". The technical aspects of Karl's "military link" can be found here in this document - http://karllippard.com/military/docs...Fact-Sheet.pdf

Thanks to all for your considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Why is that impressive?

No smartass meant.
    The cost alone is pretty impressive. If you're being comped ammo that's a different story but us mere mortals don't usually get comped $75,000 worth of ammo.

Aside from cost, the vast majority of gun owners will never hit that volume of fire on any one of their guns (or even all of their guns combined) in their lifetime.

And IIRC Kyle Defoor's Glock was still running, he just needed a barrel swap.

Also, if you have to say "no smart as meant"...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post

Also, if you have to say "no smart as meant"...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    That was said so you would know I was actually curious about what aspect of that you found impressive. The cost, the gun aspect, and so on. Since you couldn't tell simply by the question and you don't know me, I thought it was a good idea.

250k through most machines isnt exactly a hight number of cycles, and your comment left room for interpretation. So I asked.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    That was said so you would know I was actually curious about what aspect of that you found impressive. The cost, the gun aspect, and so on. Since you couldn't tell simply by the question and you don't know me, I thought it was a good idea.

250k through most machines isnt exactly a hight number of cycles, and your comment left room for interpretation. So I asked.

Tell that to Todd's test guns.

Cool. I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by choclabs View Post
    I was hoping that the technical aspects of his improving the M 1911 barrel lock up and durability (military link) would draw some of the curiosity of the more engineering oriented forum members. I am not qualified to fully appraise his efforts in this area.

"The new Karl Lippard Patents take the John Browning design to levels far beyond what was achievable in late 1800's". The technical aspects of Karl's "military link" can be found here in this document - http://karllippard.com/military/docs...Fact-Sheet.pdf

I'm out of my lane of knowledge but a wider link may/would reduce or eliminate lateral rocking of the barrel as it locks and unlocks maybe contributing to accuracy a little but if it were the panacea Mr. Lippard's press releases make it sound like it wouldn't be such an obscure item.

1911 accurizing has been around for a while and the successful items have stuck around.

Is his "military link" the accuracy key or is it the fact the military link is installed in a perfectly hand fitted 1911 with premium components? I'm betting throwing the military link in a $500 Rock Island 1911 is not going to turn it into a 1" 50 yard gun.

There is a humorous aspect to the Lippard 600yd shooting event, which many of the subsequent posts have highlighted. The 600yd shoot does seem like something off of the show "Hot Shots", and I have enjoyed reading all of the resulting posts.

However....Mr. Lippard does have some bona fide shooter and gunsmith credentials - such as Marine Sgt wounded 5 times in Viet Nam, worked on improvements of the gatling gun on the F4 Phantom, package designed the F8 Crusader and A7A weapons matrix and wiring systems, worked on the Apollo space program.

In the Marine Corps in 1963, Lippard matched the Camp Matthews range record on his first day of shooting with a 248/250.
    http://karllippard.com/Our_History.html

The long range shooting isn't exactly new or unique. Many here have done it to varying degrees of range and success. I've read of Lippards technique, its more formalized and developed than most, and he seems to get good results, but still is not revolutionary by any means. The front sight system and general technique is copied from Elmer Keith and his front sight he worked out in the 1920's or 30's, and he learned of the principles from older men than him. The hype in the description on the web site is a bit over the top, claiming "common" pistols are basically 20 yard guns, while the amazing, revolutionary Lippard system is a 400 yard gun right out of the chute. Uh, no. I've shot almost every handgun I've owned (other than 2" revolvers, I just wasn't interested in shooting them at beyond 200 yards), and a number of other peoples guns at 300 yards pretty often, with decent results on the 18" plate. Most of the guns are box stock as far as accuracy. The one time I shot at the 24" plate at 600 yards, I managed to hit it with a g-19 and wwb ammo (1 hit in 10 shots figuring out the hold). It's not that big of a deal. If I, or any fairly proficient pistol shooter spent any time practicing it with their carry gun of choice, assuming its reasonably accurate, theyd get decent results also. Pretty much everyone of decent skill level I've shown the basics to can shoot much better at distance than they believed possible.

I have no problem with the man or his accomplishments in life, but the long range shooting is hardly as unique or new as he makes it sound. Hype is the only word that comes to mind looking at the web site tho.

A link that changes precisely nothing about the function of the weapon with a correctly-sized link, but requires machining that makes the frame more susceptible to damage from over-springing. A hammer/sear that turns a single stage trigger into a two stage trigger. A rifled barrel bushing that will constantly be experiencing loosening/tightening cycles. And a barrel bushing comp.

These aren't even solutions looking for problems. More like problems looking for suckers. Lippard is a crank.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    This also helps to explain Soviet rotary winged aircraft losses in Afghanistan in 1987-1988.
    No, I know who did that and it wasn't with a 1911 (but I do have his....;-)).
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List