Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Witnessed Model 1911 600yd shot

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    At what juncture is "a gun" not the same gun it was from the factory? Or are they like my dad's old axe that's had 3 new handles and two heads, but it's still the same axe.

I mean, replacing the frame is a pretty obvious one, but what about barrels and slides?
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post

Some folks definition of "not long ago" is skewed by their age. My 72 year old dad is an example.
    Well I /am/ an old man, and my first car -- a '62 Galaxie 500 -- was purchased gently used with 102k miles on it. I put another 80k on it before the frame rusted through, but the engine and tranny were as original. Ditto my second car, a '69 Beetle, which I owned in the mileage span of 120k to 160k.

I recently bought a case of primers for more than those two cars cost me combined.
    Ignore Alien Orders

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Well I /am/ an old man, and my first car -- a '62 Galaxie 500 -- was purchased gently used with 102k miles on it. I put another 80k on it before the frame rusted through, but the engine and tranny were as original. Ditto my second car, a '69 Beetle, which I owned in the mileage span of 120k to 160k.
    I hate taking the turn down the road to threadjack, but it was well within my memory that a domestic car with 100k on the clock was generally considered "used up". Heck, Detroit didn't start adding a sixth digit to the left of the decimal on their odometers until the mid-to-late '80s (Pontiac wanted to seem European.)

Sure, you could do a lot better with a well-maintained example, but most weren't. Heck, the term "planned obsolescence" originated with Detroit.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    At what juncture is "a gun" not the same gun it was from the factory? Or are they like my dad's old axe that's had 3 new handles and two heads, but it's still the same axe.

I mean, replacing the frame is a pretty obvious one, but what about barrels and slides?
    Exactly my point about the AR15. What's the standard to apply? Is it once we've exceeded user level parts replacement? Armorer level? Depot/Manufacturer level?
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Exactly my point about the AR15. What's the standard to apply? Is it once we've exceeded user level parts replacement? Armorer level? Depot/Manufacturer level?
    With the AR15, I don't think there can be a standard. It's a big kid's lego set. So many of them are built from parts. When people ask me what AR15 I have, I'm sort of dumbfounded. Is it a Rainier Arms because the lower was bought from Rainier? Legally, yes, but that's only one part of many, and not even the part that matters on an AR15 for performance or reliability. So is it a BCM because of the upper? What about when I replace the barrel with an Afghan, should I just call it a Noveske at that point?

So, I usually just say, "It's a frankengun."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    In fact, aside from the near lack of rifling, the loss of Armory Kote, and the beat to shit mag well - this gun might as well be brand new....at basically 66,000 rounds. If I sand blasted it, then re-sprayed it, put it together with the new barrel, I'd put my lunch money on it being indistinguishable from new.
    Would you say the same would be true if it had been a .45ACP?
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

I wouldn't expect a properly sprung 10mm to be different.

The 1911 frame has massive buffering capacity. As does the slide. And the gun has huge locking surface area.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

User Tag List