Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Witnessed Model 1911 600yd shot

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That'd count. Or tear metal rail tabs loose from their polymer moorings. Maybe get to a point where replacement parts costs have exceeded the cost of just buying a new gun.

Duh. The 1911 is so overbuilt that you can make the frame out of aluminum without changing any of the dimensions and it'll still hold up to a bunch of shooting. It was designed in an era when Materials Science consisted of saying "That looks about right."
    Heh. You say duh, but there are entire articles and blogs posts about 1911 durability issues.

But back to topic - what really bugs me about the link mod and the premise behind it. From the Lippard website: "It is because of poor linkage design that all 1911A1 models and clones fail to remain accurate and in fact are unserviceable after 5,000 rounds." http://karllippard.com/military/CQBP.html

http://youtu.be/iA0WcJDR4g4

This BS polluted my forum also.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    250k through most machines isnt exactly a hight number of cycles, and your comment left room for interpretation. So I asked.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Through a Glock, I would say that is a high number of cycles. Relatively speaking to other Glocks, or even ANY handgun, it's a high number of cycles. We're not talking about sewing machines or internal combustion engines.
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
    Through a Glock, I would say that is a high number of cycles. Relatively speaking to other Glocks, or even ANY handgun, it's a high number of cycles. We're not talking about sewing machines or internal combustion engines.
    Why do you say that? Based on what? What makes a handgun different than any other machine?

I've seen, literally, 7 1911s with (documented, verifiable) round counts over 100k through them. And half of those were over 300k. None were "worn out." I'm asking what exactly wears out? The frame rails? Locking surfaces? Ignition parts?

Or compare to a service rifle. An AR-15 isn't going to go 250K before bolt or barrel failure. Of course, I'll wager that Defoor's Glock didn't go 250K rounds without part replacement either. I suppose then we're discussing what's considered routine part replacement and what's a terminal failure of the firearm? I suppose you can just keep replacing bolts and barrels on the AR15 upper.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Why do you say that? Based on what? What makes a handgun different than any other machine?

I've seen, literally, 7 1911s with (documented, verifiable) round counts over 100k through them. And half of those were over 300k. None were "worn out." I'm asking what exactly wears out? The frame rails? Locking surfaces? Ignition parts?
    Based on the millions of guns produced that don't see that round count when compared to the hundreds (or thousands?) that have. I'm looking at this from the perspective of the average owner, not an engineering standpoint.

edited to add: I'm not sure where the "worn out" questions are coming from. I never said the guns would wear out (sure, parts would need to be replaced, as on Defoor's Glock). I simply said that a gun (ANY GUN) with a 6 digit round count is impressive.
    Last edited by hossb7; 04-13-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Or compare to a service rifle. An AR-15 isn't going to go 250K before bolt or barrel failure. Of course, I'll wager that Defoor's Glock didn't go 250K rounds without part replacement either. I suppose then we're discussing what's considered routine part replacement and what's a terminal failure of the firearm? I suppose you can just keep replacing bolts and barrels on the AR15 upper.
    Of course not, but parts replacement isn't what we're talking about. In my [apparently narrow] opinion, round count of that level is way beyond what would be considered a "normal" life of a gun. Obviously it's not impossible for guns to have 6 digit round counts but it IS out of the ordinary.

Side note on Defoor's Glock (the barrel was shot out, but the gun was still functioning):

With that, I've "shot out" a barrel on my Glock 17. During this weeks pistol class I noticed that every thrird or fourth round was, as Bob Ueuker says-"just a bit outside". I first assumed it was me, then after I shot some of the students guns I found out it wasn't(kinda glad of that!). I took the barrel out and compared it to the 2 other Glock 17s in the class and that's when me and the 2 Army snipers that were in the class saw the obvious lack of rifling at a certain spot.

I thought it was impossible to shoot out a pistol barrel, but apparantly I've succeded. I also don't think I've ever heard of anyone else doing it. As for the number of rounds, it's somewhere around 205,000. The ole girl has had 2 sets of sights, 2 recoil springs, and 8 trigger return springs. She has served well. I still managed to pull off 2 - 623s on the 700 Pt Agg (lowering my goal to average 630 or above), and a 275 on the Hack (25 yd line was ugly with said pistol). I'm glad she died during a good class. I had the 2 Army Snipers, a Doctor from the Mayo clinic, an Army Captain headed to the Q-Course, and a magazine writer.
    If not me, then who?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    in fact are unserviceable after 5,000 rounds.
    Yeah, that's pretty LOLWUT?

It doesn't do anything to help Mr. Lippard's credibility, no matter where he formerly worked.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Side note on Defoor's Glock (the barrel was shot out, but the gun was still functioning):
    I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but it seems appropriate to repost it.

This thread has been moved or deleted since I copied it (01-13-2012), but the URL used to be:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96530

Question to Kyle Defoor:
    ...how many malfunctions you had, how long it took to reach 200k rounds, etc?
    Answer:
    Malfunctions- I honestly don’t know. Just the normal stuff like when you break trigger springs and slide release springs. I think there was one squib round in there, the rails had to be replaced a few times, a number of extractors, etc.

I'm not sure how the rails on Glocks are replaced without changing out the whole frame, after-all that's what they did with the E series guns that had a rail defect - complete frame swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty LOLWUT?

It doesn't do anything to help Mr. Lippard's credibility, no matter where he formerly worked.
    Yeah, he has a few guys trolling gun forums, and in particular 1911 forums spewing forth this type of stuff.

Shame, 'cause I'd have had a gun built by him considering the pedigree. Shame about that and the beavertail fit, because it looks like a drop in for a GI tang.

hossb7 - I think you and I are talking in cross purposes, so I'm just gonna leave it alone. Cheers, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I posted this elsewhere on this forum, but it seems appropriate to repost it.

This thread has been moved or deleted since I copied it (01-13-2012), but the URL used to be:
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96530

Question to Kyle Defoor:

Answer:

I'm not sure how the rails on Glocks are replaced without changing out the whole frame, after-all that's what they did with the E series guns that had a rail defect - complete frame swap.
    Probably deleted - that seems to be a growing trend on M4C.

But as for the rail replacement - me neither. I'm not familiar with Glock at an armorer level and don't know what it takes to get that sort of work done. Pure speculation but is it possible to replace rails on the same frame (not a typical option but for someone like Defoor maybe Glock did him a solid)?
    If not me, then who?

User Tag List