Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Witnessed Model 1911 600yd shot

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The long range shooting isn't exactly new or unique. Many here have done it to varying degrees of range and success. I've read of Lippards technique, its more formalized and developed than most, and he seems to get good results, but still is not revolutionary by any means. The front sight system and general technique is copied from Elmer Keith and his front sight he worked out in the 1920's or 30's, and he learned of the principles from older men than him. The hype in the description on the web site is a bit over the top, claiming "common" pistols are basically 20 yard guns, while the amazing, revolutionary Lippard system is a 400 yard gun right out of the chute. Uh, no. I've shot almost every handgun I've owned (other than 2" revolvers, I just wasn't interested in shooting them at beyond 200 yards), and a number of other peoples guns at 300 yards pretty often, with decent results on the 18" plate. Most of the guns are box stock as far as accuracy. The one time I shot at the 24" plate at 600 yards, I managed to hit it with a g-19 and wwb ammo (1 hit in 10 shots figuring out the hold). It's not that big of a deal. If I, or any fairly proficient pistol shooter spent any time practicing it with their carry gun of choice, assuming its reasonably accurate, theyd get decent results also. Pretty much everyone of decent skill level I've shown the basics to can shoot much better at distance than they believed possible.

I have no problem with the man or his accomplishments in life, but the long range shooting is hardly as unique or new as he makes it sound. Hype is the only word that comes to mind looking at the web site tho.

I agree! The last time I was shooting in Nevada before I moved back to California I stretched out my still new Gen 4 G17 out to 300 yards onto a half gallon water bottle.
    I didn't hit it often but I was shocked how close the shots were consistently.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Cool. I'm out.
    Oh, don't be like that, Bill; it's beneath you.

I will say that designing the average handgun to go 250k+ rounds is like designing the average car to last 2,000,000 miles. I'm not sure that's cost-effective.

Further, by the time we're talking six-figure round counts, the cost of the pistol starts becoming a rounding error. ("How about you make it with half the lifespan, and I'll buy a second one on the off chance I wear the first one out?")
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The long range shooting isn't exactly new or unique. Many here have done it to varying degrees of range and success. I've read of Lippards technique, its more formalized and developed than most, and he seems to get good results, but still is not revolutionary by any means.
    Yeah, the part about putting a mag all over a six-foot square target was the most believable part of the whole ad copy. I've seen someone stand flat-footed on their hind legs with a 9x19mm P99 and hit a rock maybe half that size a lot more often than they missed at 500yds, once they walked the first couple in to get the holdover.

"My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge."- Hosea 4:6

And judging from the incredulous looks I get from other shooters at the range witnessing me shooting objectively skunk-tacular 7" patterns at 25 yards, there's a lot of folks lacking some shooting knowledge. Which is good news for Mr. Lippards income statement.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

I will say that designing the average handgun to go 250k+ rounds is like designing the average car to last 2,000,000 miles. I'm not sure that's cost-effective.
    Perhaps...........but if we read the posts, and apply the "Words have meanings" philosophy, we would note that Mr. R stated that "250,000 cycles isn't exactly a high number of cycles for most machines."

I did not see firearm/gun/weapon mentioned. I saw, read, and interpreted "machines", and applied the definition of "machine" as it best applied to the context.

I am quite sure my truck engine, a machine, has far exceeded 250,000 piston cycles.

Back on topic........

I have tried to take my 1911's out past 400, but have yet to find anything that could be called success. At 200, I can usually go somewhere in the 75-80% range. Drops to about 50/50 at 300. By the time I get to 400, it is more like 10%. I have no practical need to ever shoot a pistol at 200, 300, 400, or further, but for pure concentration on the basic fundamentals of marksmanship, I have found it to be a nice alternative to shooting groups at paper once in awhile.

As for the record tying feat at Camp Matthews...........not nearly as impressive as 600 yards with a 1911. There is no shortage of Marine recruits who step onto the range and tie the range record. Edson Range at Camp Pendleton has 4 KD ranges for recruit rifle quals. At one point prior to the USMC changing the rifle qualification course of fire in the mid-90's, 3 of the 4 ranges had records of 249/250. The fourth had a record of 250/250. Since "V" rings are not scored for qualification purposes, who actually shot the highest scores is debatable. In my company alone, there were 11 shooters who tied the range record (248/250 at the time) on Day 1. Two of them tied to set the new record of 249/250 on Day 2, followed by 6 others who shot 249 by the end of the week. One of the first 249 shooters shot a 250 on the final day, Day 4.........however, it was decided he had one late round fired during one of the rapid fire stages, and had 5 points deducted from his score, leaving him with a 245. According to USMC rules at the time, he should have been allowed to re-shoot the stage, as he had a malfunction, which, if the shooter makes every attempt to properly clear the malfunction, but cannot, he will be allowed to fire however many rounds remaining, based on the time/round ratio of the stage. Since he was the current range record holder, the DI's didn't give him his alibi.

I ran into said shooter several years later after he had gone double distinguished, and set a new range record of 250/250...........shooting the entire course of fire off-hand. That kind of marksmanship always impresses me.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 04-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Yeah, the part about putting a mag all over a six-foot square target was the most believable part of the whole ad copy. I've seen someone stand flat-footed on their hind legs with a 9x19mm P99 and hit a rock maybe half that size a lot more often than they missed at 500yds, once they walked the first couple in to get the holdover.
    Since hitting a 3x5 at 7yds on demand is sorta hit or miss for me, I choose to believe that this long range pistol malarkey is unpossible.

Oh, don't be like that, Bill; it's beneath you.

Further, by the time we're talking six-figure round counts, the cost of the pistol starts becoming a rounding error. ("How about you make it with half the lifespan, and I'll buy a second one on the off chance I wear the first one out?")
    Ok, serious question then - how do you wear out a gun?

Crack the frame? I'm looking at Todd's 1911 with 65k+ on it right now. The hammer-sear engagement surfaces look basically new. The locking lugs look like they were just cut on the machine. The slide to frame fit is tight. The barrel feet look unused. In fact, aside from the near lack of rifling, the loss of Armory Kote, and the beat to shit mag well - this gun might as well be brand new....at basically 66,000 rounds. If I sand blasted it, then re-sprayed it, put it together with the new barrel, I'd put my lunch money on it being indistinguishable from new.

My point is - 250,000 rounds is a heck of a lot of rounds. But that is a testament about the person, not the gun. 250,000 cycles for a machine, that is properly lubricated, isn't much. And especially so on a modern 1911. Because with modern materials, it's grossly overbuilt.

You can do silly stuff such as make the slide out of free-machining steel so you can hog out material easily, give it a hard surface (carbonitriding is popular) so you don't have to through harden, make most of the internals out of stamped medium carbon steel, and so on. But even then, the actual wear points are pretty low stress. Heck, I bet the HK and 1911s would have seen 250k w/o much more than they saw getting to where they stopped.

I'm not trying to put you on the spot Tam, and this was the purpose of my original statement concerning # of rounds. That said, I've not actually seen a gun I'd have said was worn out from shooting. I've seen abused guns that were not lubricated, shot with broken recoil springs, and all other manner of abuse. But I've never actually seen a worn out gun.
    Last edited by BLR; 04-13-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Using Todd's endurance guns as a sample population...

GEN4 G17 - slide (breechface erosion)
    P30 - frame (small piece sheared off)
    M&P9 - slide (crack)

To be fair, in each of those cases, I understand that the pistol remained functional, but the endurance test was ended as a precaution.

Your point about the 1911 is well taken; I was always impressed with how PWS continued to rebuild the MEU (SOC) 1911s year after year. I'd be curious to know how many rounds have been through those frames.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Ok, serious question then - how do you wear out a gun?

Crack the frame?
    That'd count. Or tear metal rail tabs loose from their polymer moorings. Maybe get to a point where replacement parts costs have exceeded the cost of just buying a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl
    And especially so on a modern 1911. Because with modern materials, it's grossly overbuilt.
    Duh. The 1911 is so overbuilt that you can make the frame out of aluminum without changing any of the dimensions and it'll still hold up to a bunch of shooting. It was designed in an era when Materials Science consisted of saying "That looks about right."

User Tag List