Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The mystery of the FAMS and the Sig P250

Site Supporter
    OK, that settled it, I'll never buy that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    So, the FAMS has an FFL for purchasing agency weapons, and the director was purchasing private weapons for himself and others using that FFL, IF the allegations are true?
    So there are two issues, really. The gun issue is the use of the FFL, which, is that illegal? Maybe he didn't follow all the rules on those purchases? Allegedly?
    The other issue appears to be a simple impropriety/bribery allegation where guns are only involved because the alleged bribes from SIG Sauer were guns instead of season sports ball tickets . . . .do I have this close to right?
    . . . . allegedly?
    There is no need for an agency to have an FFL. Agencies can received firearms on a letterhead. In fact, so can individual peace officers provided someone with authority within the agency authorizes it, and it is for duty use.

I just may know a guy who is high up in an agency who wrote a letter to himself authorizing himself to receive pistol on letterhead.

My guess is that they were using letterhead to obtain firearms strictly for personal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Are they making their own Serpa copy now?

That makes Baby Odin weep, uncontrollably.
    Sig has been selling that holster for sometime now.

http://sigsauer.com/StoreProductList...uches-111.aspx

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In fact, so can individual peace officers provided someone with authority within the agency authorizes it, and it is for duty use.
    Most abused part of federal firearms law. I think every gun store employee in the land has had the chief of some three-man department show up to buy a duck gun on letterhead.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    There is no need for an agency to have an FFL. Agencies can received firearms on a letterhead. In fact, so can individual peace officers provided someone with authority within the agency authorizes it, and it is for duty use.

I just may know a guy who is high up in an agency who wrote a letter to himself authorizing himself to receive pistol on letterhead.

My guess is that they were using letterhead to obtain firearms strictly for personal use.

Sig has been selling that holster for sometime now.

http://sigsauer.com/StoreProductList...uches-111.aspx

Most of SIG's accessories (holsters/lights/sights) are rebranded ITAC Defense products.
    http://www.sigsauer.com/StoreCategor...ories-110.aspx

Dave Spaulding did a complimentary review a few years back:
    http://www.lawofficer.com/article/te...s/itac-defense

I think this rendition of the finger paddle is a better execution that the SERPA design, but that's really not raising the bar a whole lot, either.
    The one-piece paddle holster is supposed to be not horrible:
    http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/glo...sters-460.aspx

I would probably recommend it over a Blackhawk offering to a tightwad copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Most abused part of federal firearms law. I think every gun store employee in the land has had the chief of some three-man department show up to buy a duck gun on letterhead.
    Don't they have to give it back to the dept after they retire/move/get fired/etc?

I could see this if it were a G18 or MP5 or something cool and fun. But a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Don't they have to give it back to the dept after they retire/move/get fired/etc?

I could see this if it were a G18 or MP5 or something cool and fun. But a shotgun?
    If the agency does the buying, no excise tax is collected. but if the individual is personally purchasing the weapon, they are supposed to pay the federal excise tax.
    If the agency buys it, and then later sells it to the employee? Not sure how that works out.

NFA rules apply to the fun stuff.

I'm referring here to the practice of skipping the NICS check, which can be waived with department letterhead stating that "Officer Krupke is purchasing this Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon, serial number XXXXXX, to be used in official duties, and that a records check reveals that the purchasing officer has no convictions for misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence."

I mean, it meets the letter of the law, and is some $8/hr gun shop clerk going to tell the guy in the uniform that he doesn't buy the story that the town of Ditchwater or Stumpjump needs to be protected from a scourge of clay pigeons?

Huh. Seems like more trouble than the nics check.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Huh. Seems like more trouble than the nics check.
    One would think so, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    If the agency does the buying, no excise tax is collected. but if the individual is personally purchasing the weapon, they are supposed to pay the federal excise tax. If the agency buys it, and then later sells it to the employee? Not sure how that works out.
    Individual officer purchases are subject to FET. An i/o purchase can't be made through the agency to avoid excise tax. However, if the agency later dispos the gun, they aren't obligated to collect the FET. Otherwise, trades, transfers, or surplus auctions would be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'm referring here to the practice of skipping the NICS check, which can be waived with department letterhead stating that "Officer Krupke is purchasing this Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon, serial number XXXXXX, to be used in official duties, and that a records check reveals that the purchasing officer has no convictions for misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence."

I mean, it meets the letter of the law, and is some $8/hr gun shop clerk going to tell the guy in the uniform that he doesn't buy the story that the town of Ditchwater or Stumpjump needs to be protected from a scourge of clay pigeons?
    In my experience, cops seek out the letters to avoid dealer transfer fees more than anything. NICS or local background check fees I suppose, too, where applicable.

The various public safety discount programs used to require a bona-fide letterhead, which drove some demand for them. Now, most just want an ID at the point of sale with the 4473 and NICS check.

At some point, enough will abuse the process and it will go away. Some agencies are good about policing themselves and letterheads can be darned hard to get. Others I've seen have pre-printed, fill in the blank forms on the desktop ready for whatever Deputy Dog needs that month.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List