Thread: Glock 34 Gen4 frame & trigger modifications

Glock 34 Gen4 frame & trigger modifications

Posted this over on M4C as well. Copied and pasted it here.

Decided to modify the frame on my Gen4 34 last night. I've always had an "issue" per say with the hump on the full size (17, 22, 31) frame Glocks. I also have a Gen4 19 and I find it much more comfortable to draw and aim quickly because the hump doesn't protrude into my hand as much as my 34. Plus, I hate finger grooves on my pistols. So after reading some on grip reductions and stippling/finger groove shaving, I decided to jump into it last night...mind you this is my first time messing with a polymer frame to this extent. I used the "candle method" to reduce the hump on the grip. Used a dremel to remove the finger grooves, undercut the trigger guard and round the nose of the trigger guard. Used a $10 wood burner from Walmart to stipple. Couldn't retain the factory backstraps with the grip reduction. Tried unsuccessfully. I have medium-sized hands, so the small(er) grip doesn't bother me. I noticed in immediate improvement with how the gun points when I draw with my eyes closed. Front sight is right on target every time. All said and done, I'm pleased with how the frame turned out.

Here's a before pic:

During:

After:

I also ordered a trigger kit from Glock Triggers. Decided to go with the Vogel kit. This is my primary competition and carry gun. The factory trigger has had an abnormally harsh break that I haven't been able to get rid of. I've tried the $.25 trigger job, used the dremel to round the nose of the trigger bar (which has helped some) 3 different times, but this trigger is still rough compared to my factory Glock 19's trigger. So I decided to spend some money on an upgraded trigger system. Planning to install it later this evening. I'm either going to stick with the stock 5.5# striker spring or go with the 5# striker spring in the kit to lower the pull weight slightly. The pull weight on this trigger will still be more with the 5# spring and Gen4 trigger bar than a 5.5# factory spring and the Gen3 trigger bar, so I'm not worried about it being "too light." I'll keep an eye for light strikes, but if there is none, I'll probably just stick the 5# in there. Might play around with the 4.5# and 4# springs at matches and in practice to see how they feel/perform.

I like the idea of getting rid of the finger grooves. I use the Guardian trigger from Glock Triggers. I shoot mine, actually a G17 Gen 4, in GSSF matches.

Does stipling the underside of the trigger guard cause any issues with blisters/discomfort on shooting hand middle finger? Does that sipling help?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Does stipling the underside of the trigger guard cause any issues with blisters/discomfort on shooting hand middle finger? Does that sipling help?
    That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the pics. I would definitely pass on stippling the underside of the trigger guard.

The stippling under the trigger guard doesn't bother me while shooting. I did knock some of the higher edges down with some sandpaper. I have pretty rough/calloused hands so YMMV.

Site Supporter
    I find that stippling under the trigger guard prevents me from getting a good grip because I can't roll my support hand (swing the bottom in) as consistently.

I haven't ran the pistol in a high round count situation yet so that could be why I'm not bothered by it. I'm taking a 2 day Hackathorn class on the 26-27. If the stippling bothers me I'll have some sandpaper in my range bag to knock it down.

But, I like the finger grooves......

I shot a Robar modified G17 awhile back for an article Rich Grassi was doing for the Tactical Wire. I found that I had so many reps of getting index under a stock G17 trigger guard that the high undercut style seriously jacked up my ability to hit my grip on the draw.

Just an observation.

User Tag List