Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Brownells Shopping experience

The Brownells Shopping experience

"Oh hey, I need recoil springs for my gun. Better check Brownells. Oh look, spare mags on sale? I'll get three just in case. Hmm, I'm going to need some extra magazine springs too..."

$500 dollars later, you're staring at your order confirmation thinking "why did I just buy a sight pusher for a Beretta Cougar?"

Brownells is like Target for gun people. Go for recoil springs, spend $500 bucks.

Site Supporter
    Indeed.
    In my experience it applies to any and every internet vendor of firearms parts & accessories.

It always starts with one bona-fide need - new springs, new sights, whatever. Then I'll spend the next three hours on their website putting together an order to 'save on shipping' or 'see what else they have' at which point a $75 shipped 'need' turns into a $400 shipped 'deal'.
    Then I open the package, and as I'm wondering why I bought 5 surplus G3 slings, the only answer is 'they were $2 each when you bought 5'.
    Which is how a G3 sling ended up as the shoulder strap on one of my tool bags.

Similar thinking has led me to buy magazines for firearms I don't own yet.

Amazon's "one click" order method gets me out of there fast before I browse around any longer.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I just did the same thing at Graf's.

"I need a replacement primer seater cup spring in case I lose mine switching my press from small to large primers. Huh. $8 shipping on a $2.50 part. Oooo, they have the whole primer arm assembly for $15, I can just keep one set up for large and one for small. Still $8 shipping. Ooooo, cleaning stand. Might as well get a cleaning rod guide for the 9.3 while I'm at it. Do I need any brass? How much are .375 H&H dies?..."

And that is how I have four box of M&P spare parts, two boxes of Sig Spare Parts (still trying to figure out where I bought a P229 Elite Slide), two boxes of XDM spare parts, and another 3 boxes of assorted spare parts.

Seriously I have more spare parts than many gunsmiths.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Amazon's "one click" order method gets me out of there fast before I browse around any longer.
    Last summer downloading a free kindle book turned into ordering new exhaust for my Harley.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Last summer downloading a free kindle book turned into ordering new exhaust for my Harley.

You win.

CountyComm is the worst for me. They have so many small, interesting items that I add something and then keep looking and add more...and the next thing you know, I've got $300 worth of <$10 items in my cart. Then I don't buy anything. It's maddening.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post

Stupid Amazon and their stupid "People who viewed this item also viewed" function No telling how much time and money that's cost me.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    CountyComm is the worst for me. They have so many small, interesting items that I add something and then keep looking and add more...and the next thing you know, I've got $300 worth of <$10 items in my cart. Then I don't buy anything. It's maddening.
    Same here. As noted above you start out looking for a $5 item but it's $8 shipping, next thing you know it's an hour and $100 later.

I fell into this with my last 2 orders from Weapon Outfitters; just need a flash hider? Ooh, look if I spend $100 I get $3 cash back to spend in the store....well now I'm at $100, if I hit $200 I get free shipping and another $3 store cash. What brilliant marketing to trap a simple creature such as myself, give me $14 of free shipping/store cash and I'll spend minimum $200. And this is what I complain to my wife about with her shopping...

I don't think I'll be buying any more 3V Surefire batteries until these ones have maxed their shelf life..

User Tag List