Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M&P Guts

M&P Guts

I really like the M&P design. Only a couple of missteps IMO. I don't like the idea of having to remove the rear sight to disassemble the gun. I am not a fan of ferritic nitrocarburizing on gun or parts. I don't mind the MIM'ed everything except the stamped parts. I'm generally not a personal fan of striker guns, but can appreciate the potential for simplification (realizing that "simplification" might as well be replaced with "cheapification" theses days - not limited to striker guns). This one is a 40, and has a MASSIVE slide.

Belongs to a copper out in Utah, and is being rushed back to him as apparently he has to use cut-outs of the letter "L" in place of his duty weapon while it's gone.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    I don't like the idea of having to remove the rear sight to disassemble the gun.
    Agreed. Once I get my sights dialed in, I don't want to touch them until they're replaced.

I've been meaning to ask you about what you can do with the internals on a striker gun. This jogged my rememberer.

I assume that you're going to do something magic with the internal parts and they'll be better/smoother/faster as my friend Mark Fricke likes to say? If a guy needed his gun to stay visually stock on the outside would getting the internals coated be worth the effort to smooth things up for trigger pull quality and/or reliability purposes?

Agreed on the rear sight thing, that idea is left over from the 3rd gen days at S&W, we had to deal with it when we had the 5906/3s issued.

I am not a fan of ferritic nitrocarburizing on gun or parts.
    I think I heard the gunternet just kitten out a brick.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I think I heard the gunternet just kitten out a brick.
    Ha! I think you overestimate my influence.

Chuck - to date, aside from Todd and the Tactical Hobo's guns, I've not done really anything that didn't look 100% stock. I have a sneaky bunch of friends...

To answer your question, yes. You'd see a big return on the internals. Reliability, not likely much as most guns are pretty good these days. I have a couple of G17s I'm fiddling with for myself for just that reason.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I don't mind the MIM'ed everything except the stamped parts.
    See? Except for a couple big sintered chunks, it's all toaster parts in there.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The new style slide release (something that I've been trying to get my hands on with no success) and the new style unified sear housing block.

Personally I never remove the rear sight after I install the Apex striker block.

Bill, if you get a big box of Glock internals, with the return address written in large block letters in crayon, that's from me.

Roger that ref reliability, and I thought so, but I had a suspicion that the smootherosity of the trigger pull would be more-better with secret magical coating applied.

Side note; I know for a fact that something like NP3 on an AR bolt makes things more reliable and resistant to getting gunked up, but one doesn't want to coat the extractor. An extractor shouldn't be slippery.

Bill, what's your take on the accuracy issues with the M&P platform?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Side note; I know for a fact that something like NP3 on an AR bolt makes things more reliable and resistant to getting gunked up, but one doesn't want to coat the extractor. An extractor shouldn't be slippery.
    *Full Disclosure - I'm trying to make money in this field - shouldn't be a surprise by now*

PTFE containing aren't the best thing in the world to put on AR bolts, especially DI systems. Just consider PTFEs upper use temperaturs and burning characteristics. We all but refuse to finish AR bolts in the PTFE containing coating. When we get an AR, the client is typically educated as to what each finish does well, and what it doesn't do well. And almost no one chooses PTFE for the BCG or upper. Those get the BN finish, and most choose black.

User Tag List