Thread: 1911 Officer mags

1911 Officer mags

Hi all. Long time reader of pistol-training.com and have learned a lot. This is my first post on the forum. I have a question about 1911 magazines.

I've been a long time Glock shooter and armorer, but I wanted to try something different, thinner, and .45 for carry so I recently bought a 1911. I got the Sig Traditional Compact Stainless. It has a Commander slide and Officer grip. I really like it but haven't shot it much yet. Anyway, I'd like to pick up some more magazines. I hear a lot of good things about the Wilson ETM mags but...they don't off ETM mags for the Officer size 6 or 7 round mags. Are Wilson's standard mags the best option or is there a different maker I should look to for Officer sized mags?

Two good options are Metalform and Tripp.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Ser...oductinfo/609/

Seems a shame to make an Officers sized pistol bigger by using mags with a base pad, so I prefer a plain welded baseplate for Officers mags. These have hybrid feed lips and a stout springs, the latter being beneficial to ensure that the faster moving slide doesn't overrun the next round up. Pretty cheap too.

Rosco

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't mind a small base pad. I like the looks of Wilson's low profile base pad. Any difference using a metal or plastic follower?

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses. I don't mind a small base pad. I like the looks of Wilson's low profile base pad. Any difference using a metal or plastic follower?
    The gun will tell you which it likes best. I'm a little leery of running a steel follower in an alloy gun, but since yours is stainless, shouldn't be an issue.

The mags suggested previously are all good but again, your gun may have a preference.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I'm sure this will come with more training but I do find it hard to drive home a mag that fits flush to the bottom of the grip frame. It seems if I just use the palm of my hand I cannot get enough force during a quick reload to properly seat the mag. I have to give it an extra shove with my thumb. A little bit of a pad should help me be able to properly seat the mag with my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I'm sure this will come with more training but I do find it hard to drive home a mag that fits flush to the bottom of the grip frame. It seems if I just use the palm of my hand I cannot get enough force during a quick reload to properly seat the mag. I have to give it an extra shove with my thumb. A little bit of a pad should help me be able to properly seat the mag with my palm.
    My answer to that was to carry a flush fit in the gun for concealment purposes, and my spares had the larger base pads.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    My answer to that was to carry a flush fit in the gun for concealment purposes, and my spares had the larger base pads.
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

I also run a CCO (a term for the combo of 6 round frame and 4.25"barrel) in the summer, fact I just broke it out of storage today.

The spare mag can be a full government length magazine if it has a limiting baseplate, like this:
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/1911-Mag...uctinfo/47DOX/
    Ignore Alien Orders

Testing Location, sorry for the spam

User Tag List