Thread: Friend looking to purchase a G19 - Best price/value?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Friend looking to purchase a G19 - Best price/value?

Hey all -

So I have a buddy looking to buy his first centerfire handgun. He has settled on the Glock 19 (with only modest prodding on my behalf). My question is this - if you were buying a G19 and it was to be your only pistol, would you 1) buy new or used and 2) if used, which generation and from where?

I ask because outside of the used Gen2 G19s on sale at Aimsurplus, I am not really seeing any good deals on used G19s. I know that used G19s dont sit long on the shelf but I really can't find anything anywhere. His other option is buying a NIB Gen4 which we have found locally for $530 before tax, or sourcing one online.

Any tips on which to buy and where to buy it from? I want him to get a good deal if possible, but I also am not sold on the idea of him getting a used Gen2 pistol as his first gun, given its lack of frame rail (he does want to CCW it eventually and the ability to mount a weaponlight is A Good Thing, IMO) and the parts/wear/etc of the older gun. I am a glock armorer so I know it doesn't take a brain surgeon to get an old Glock up to working order, but I also know some of the Gen2s had problems with 3 point malfunctions etc. Just trying to make sure he gets a gun he is happy with.

I'd have him buy new, and Gen4. Honestly, though, if I were advising someone about buying their very first handgun, I might suggest they wait until after SHOT - likely to be a few very interesting "new" or updated designs revealed in response to the FBI's RFP and the Army's MHS. If I had a new shooter who wasn't invested in a platform already, I'd also be hard pressed to argue against the P320C, or the VP9. Not that there's anything WRONG with the G19, just there are other options that will meet it's general size/capacity and likely be a little more "shootable".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'd have him buy new, and Gen4. Honestly, though, if I were advising someone about buying their very first handgun, I might suggest they wait until after SHOT - likely to be a few very interesting "new" or updated designs revealed in response to the FBI's RFP and the Army's MHS. If I had a new shooter who wasn't invested in a platform already, I'd also be hard pressed to argue against the P320C, or the VP9. Not that there's anything WRONG with the G19, just there are other options that will meet it's general size/capacity and likely be a little more "shootable".
    Had him look at the P320C in a shop - not able to find a VP9 locally. Also had him dryfire an M&P9FS. He remains pretty sold on the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Had him look at the P320C in a shop - not able to find a VP9 locally. Also had him dryfire an M&P9FS. He remains pretty sold on the Glock.
    Then he should rock out with his GLOCK out, for sure. Gen4, NIB - if he has any issues, it'll be under warranty. GLOCK can be "sticky" when it comes to dealing with issues on used pistols (or new pistols more than 1 year old).

If he's looking for a light rail, then I'd go Gen3 or Gen4 G19. I wouldn't hesitate to go used as they're just generally rock solid pistols. There are probably some new things on the horizon soon, but honestly, the G19 isn't a bad option at all.

NIB Gen 4 G19.

Have him buy a 2 yr GSSF membership ($60 I think). He will get a blue label coupon. Find a blue label dealer and he can get said Gen4 G19 for +/- $425 plus tax. In 2 yrs he will get another blue label coupon. By then he should know whether he wants a backup G19 or go larger for range/gun games and get a 17 or 34.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 3 View Post
    Have him buy a 2 yr GSSF membership ($60 I think). He will get a blue label coupon. Find a blue label dealer and he can get said Gen4 G19 for +/- $425 plus tax. In 2 yrs he will get another blue label coupon. By then he should know whether he wants a backup G19 or go larger for range/gun games and get a 17 or 34.
    That was what I came here to post and what I am planning to do. Wondering if I should pull forward my purchase given the upcoming elections in 2016, although I'd really planned to get more experience on my CZ for at least a year before buying my 2nd gun... decisions, decisions....

User Tag List