Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a good grip with big hands?

Question Getting a good grip with big hands?

I have big hands. I can easily palm a basketball. One of the issues I am having since I start competing last month was that I am finding I can't get a good solid grip since my fingers wrap completely around the grip. This means there really isn't a place to put the palm of my weak hand on the grip. Do you find that your fingers wrap completely around the grip preventing your weak hand from making contact with the grips? Am I approaching this all wrong?

Last edited by Edwin; 04-07-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Wow. That Hi Power looks like a pocket gun in your hands.

Ideally, you want a small sliver of your support hand behind the back strap for best recoil management. If that is not possible you can squeeze the gun between your hands (tightening your pectorals) and use friction to "hold" it.

On the Hi Power, the distance between trigger and back strap is way too small for your paws. You want to press the trigger with the pad of the finger and that is going to be awkward with a trigger that far back.

Go to a gun store and try one of the large frame 4th Gen Glocks (.45ACP or 10mm) with the largest back strap insert or a double stack SIG with screws holding the grip panels. If the SIG is close but not quite meaty enough you could add a beefier aftermarket grip. Small handed people dislike these models for being "blocky" and that's what you need.

A Desert Eagle in 44 Magnum is another fine choice for very big hands but that one looses points in the concealability department. The intimidation factor and terminal effect is impressive though. I used to hunt with that cannon until I switched to a scoped wheel gun for longer shots.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
    A Desert Eagle in 44 Magnum is another fine choice for very big hands but that one looses points in the concealability department. The intimidation factor and terminal effect is impressive though.
    DE's are probably the most underrated CCW platform. Sure it's hard to AIWB, but once you select the proper holster you're good, and popular with the ladies.

I'll gladly give up capacity, reliability and concealability for the intimidation factor and the ability to shoot through schools.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
    Wow. That Hi Power looks like a pocket gun in your hands.

God kittens! LOL I'll say.

I don't know where he's going to anchor the support hand. I'll ping a big shooter and see if he can offer something.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

On a more serious note, you may want to go rent and try out a bunch of different pistols. I know a lot of folks recommend BHP's specifically for people with smaller hands; so it may not be the best choice for you.

Locally our school police used to issue G19s. One of the guys they hired was a really big dude, like Coke machine with a head big, with hands to match. He ended up being a variance from policy with a G17 with a grip sleeve and Grip Force Adaptor and one of those finger rest thingies on his mags that people generally put on a G26 magazine. He woulda been better off with a G21 but they wouldn't allow it.
    You appear to be in the same boat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    He woulda been better off with a G21
    That was my first thought for the OP, try a 21.

Nowadays if 9mm was what was wanted I'd start at the suggestion of a gen 4 G17 with the biggest beavertail backstrap installed.

Edwin, I have the same problem you have, when I am shooting a J frame. I have to use the same grip Jerry Miculek teaches for shooting small guns. Your hands are big enough that might work for you with the BHP

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Nowadays if 9mm was what was wanted I'd start at the suggestion of a gen 4 G17 with the biggest beavertail backstrap installed.

Edwin, I have the same problem you have, when I am shooting a J frame. I have to use the same grip Jerry Miculek teaches for shooting small guns. Your hands are big enough that might work for you with the BHP
    To save you the google fu

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...alks-revolvers

Thank you both for the link and the idea. I guess after this season is done and stop shooting the Hi Power, I'll have to find something more appropriate for my size.

User Tag List