Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal recollections with the M4 carbine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    HCM, that is very true. I was with one of the units that first brought the IAR down range but I'm under the impression the new gen of Pmags make up for that.

Side note: lube still applies to the IAR, as a lot of our newer guys figured out.
    10-4 The E mags and the Gen 3 Pmags (which share the exterior dimensions of the Emag) are supposed to be GTG for the HK.

Aftermarket AR mag compatibility can be a little hit or miss. Gen 1 Pmags run fine in my personal an work issued Colts but had fit / locking issues in my LMT and S&W. Conversely, Gen 1 ARC mags ran great in the S&W but wouldn't run at all in my Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You are spot on re: Lube and Mags.

Re Pmags: I believe they were declared unsat due to incompatibility with the HK M27 IAR/ HK 416 rather than any intrinsic failing of the Pmags themselves.

Wasn't there also a flood of TAPCO and similarly unsat mags running in the system that contributed to the ban? I recall hearing something about that a while back.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Sad that the minimal lube desert myth persists. We got the same bad advice in Iraq 2005. Fortunately not many small arms engagements in those days. GI mags with green followers seemed ok at that time.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for your service.
    Your account bothers me, since guys like Larry Vickers and Mike Pannone have been stating this stuff for awhile (and I imagine they weren't the first). The knowledge just hasn't trickled into the institutions, I guess. I think your conclusions about lube and mags were spot on.

Mike Pannone: http://www.defensereview.com/m4m4a1-...yre-our-fault/
    Larry Vickers: http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-...n-lubrication/

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Sad that the minimal lube desert myth persists. We got the same bad advice in Iraq 2005. Fortunately not many small arms engagements in those days. GI mags with green followers seemed ok at that time.
    Ran my M4 wet in southern Afghanistan and used good ammunition and magazines. Ran like a kittened ape.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Fred, that's my exact experience as well. Another thing I discovered there was the AK is no where as inaccurate as people say.. What is your experience on that?

Fred, that's my exact experience as well. Another thing I discovered there was the AK is no where as inaccurate as people say.. What is your experience on that?
    I'm not Fred but I strongly agree. I wouldn't feel outgunned by anyone if I was issued a good AK.
    #RESIST

My experience as well. In one of our arms rooms we had some lovely Bulgarian milled AK's and they were quite accurate. Issued ammunition was 1965-1966 steel washed Chi-Com ammo. Go figure. A properly zeroed Kalashnikov and skilled end user is a formidable combination.

I have a stamped Arsenal that out shoots my AR's - when and if an Aimpoint is attached and not working itself loose.

I really enjoy the rifle and think most of its perceived downsides are no big deal, but the sights are an issue.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    My carbines lead a comfortable, cake-eating civilian existence by comparison. I still don't get the goofy rumors that float around the internet about how these things malf if you shoot them outside of a clean room.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List