Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal recollections with the M4 carbine.

Personal recollections with the M4 carbine.

A friends AR-15 hate got me thinking about my personal experiences with it so I thought I would share what I think the main issue is with the "lack" of reliability so many note from combat theaters.

A little of my background:
    I joined the Marine Corps in 2009 right before the "surge of troops" into Afghanistan. I was an 0311 (rifleman) and 0313 (LAV crewman).

I did two deployments (both 7 months) to southern Helmand that spanned the years 2010, 2011, and 2012. During this time I got to intimately know my M4 carbine and what it took to make it run.
    Here are the two main problems that I and other troops I knew ran into (none which were the weapons fault):

1) Lack of training on how to properly lubricate the weapon system for a desert environment.
    This is the major issue I ran into really quickly when I first arrived in country. I had been told by a SGT to hardly lube my gun because it would cause malfunctions because of the dust it would gather. I quickly learned (during a gun fight unfortunately) that a dry bolt simply does not run and that spitting on the bolt is a ineffective method of making the gun work(I hadn't of thought to bring CLP with me). From that point on I heavily lubed my bolt and carried extra lube on me and promptly spread the word not to listen to that Sgt's knowledge. I still saw this lack of lubrication practice later on in my deployments and to my dismay was usually told I was an idiot for voicing my opinion on the matter. What was worst is I commonly heard a lot of these same guys cursing their bolt action carbines during after action reports.

*its important to note that a lot of us were against heavily lubing our rifles in the states because it would cause us to have to spend more time cleaning our weapons to turn them into the armory. IMO this is a huge flaw in the system, troops should be taught to heavily lube their weapons with a little less emphasis on inspection ready cleaning.

2) Bad magazines.
    I was issued six magazine when I first got to my unit, all very old with very old springs. Those promptly got replaced by pmags until it was decided that those were unsat by someone.. So I was regulated to carry the old magazines that often caused double feeds (which was a common theme among my buddies as well). We resolved this by replacing the magazine springs with any newer ones we could scrounge up but its still a issue we should of never ran into.

*also another important note. Even though Pmags are still banned before I left new magazines and extra followers were dished out. So it seems at least the old followers and springs have been addressed for the most part.

Just are just my thoughts on the subject, I hope other people will throw in some of their ideas on why people perceive the gun as unreliable and how its not a hard ware problem, but a software issue.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 04-07-2014 at 05:35 PM.

1st LAR?
    #RESIST

Ah yes, the timeless themes of insufficient lubrication and the critical importance of properly functioning magazines.

And to think that people get hung up on DI vs piston and 193 vs 855... sigh.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    *its important to note that a lot of us were against heavily lubing our rifles in the states because it would cause us to have to spend more time cleaning our weapons to turn them into the armory. IMO this is a huge flaw in the system, troops should be taught to heavily lube their weapons with a little less emphasis on inspection ready cleaning.
    When we ran ranges in Afghanistan with U.S Army personnel present, any stoppages they had were usually attributed to painfully bone dry weapons or sketch mags. A liberal application of Frog-Lube CLP to the former usually got them right back up and running.

With regard to bad mags - I procured some PMAGs and kittencanned the POS USGI relics were were issued.

FredM, I feel like this is a common theme, which is sad. I will say one of my least cool moments was trying to make my M4 not a be a bolt action by spitting on it... lol

Dean Caputo coined the acronym "MEAL" and Pat Rogers has propagated it.

M - magazines. Don't marry then, use good ones.
    E - extractor. Use the one with the correct inserts and replace at about 5k RDR.
    A - ammo. Not very applicable for LE/MIL folks, but the idea is to use good ammo, not crap.
    L - Lubrication. Use it, ARs like to be wet, not dry. I'm more of a use most anything, as long as it's wet.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    A friends AR-15 hate got me thinking about my personal experiences with it so I thought I would share what I think the main issue is with the "lack" of reliability so many note from combat theaters.

A little of my background:
    I joined the Marine Corps in 2009 right before the "surge of troops" into Afghanistan. I was an 0311 (rifleman) and 0313 (LAV crewman).

I did two deployments (both 7 months) to southern Helmand that spanned the years 2010, 2011, and 2012. During this time I got to intimately know my M4 carbine and what it took to make it run.
    Here are the two main problems that I and other troops I knew ran into (none which were the weapons fault):

1) Lack of training on how to properly lubricate the weapon system for a desert environment.
    This is the major issue I ran into really quickly when I first arrived in country. I had been told by a SGT to hardly lube my gun because it would cause malfunctions because of the dust it would gather. I quickly learned (during a gun fight unfortunately) that a dry bolt simply does not run and that spitting on the bolt is a ineffective method of making the gun work(I hadn't of thought to bring CLP with me). From that point on I heavily lubed my bolt and carried extra lube on me and promptly spread the word not to listen to that Sgt's knowledge. I still saw this lack of lubrication practice later on in my deployments and to my dismay was usually told I was an idiot for voicing my opinion on the matter. What was worst is I commonly heard a lot of these same guys cursing their bolt action carbines during after action reports.

2) Bad magazines.
    I was issued six magazine when I first got to my unit, all very old with very old springs. Those promptly got replaced by pmags until it was decided that those were unsat by someone.. So I was regulated to carry the old magazines that often caused double feeds (which was a common theme among my buddies as well). We resolved this by replacing the magazine springs with any newer ones we could scrounge up but its still a issue we should of never ran into.

*also another important note. Even though Pmags are still banned before I left new magazines and extra followers were dished out. So it seems at least the old followers and springs have been addressed for the most part.

Just are just my thoughts on the subject, I hope other people will throw in some of their ideas on why people perceive the gun as unreliable and how its not a hard ware problem, but a software issue.
    What slows the AR15/M4 action down quickly is lack of lubrication between bolt and carrier. I vaguely remember a picture in a TM showing a few drops of CLP introduced into the opening of the carrier key. Was that enough or did you need to generously lube the surfaces where the bolt carrier touches the upper receiver? These will of course attract dust much sooner than the "guts" of the BCG.

Personallly, I only apply lube to surfaces that show direct contact with other surfaces (by the coating being worn off) but I did not have the chance to test that philosophy in the "sand box". There is in my opinion no need to turn the rest of a gun's action into a fly/dust catcher.

Healthy magazine springs and the correct followers are a must for all auto loading weapons. Even a Glock will choke on LE trade-in mags that were carried topped off for ages and had their springs permanently set. The inside of magazines needs to be bone dry and cleaned occasionally to prevent binding of the follower due to attracted dirt or powder residues.

Site Supporter
    You are spot on re: Lube and Mags.

Re Pmags: I believe they were declared unsat due to incompatibility with the HK M27 IAR/ HK 416 rather than any intrinsic failing of the Pmags themselves.

I had the best results if I lubed almost the whole bolt carrier and the actual bolt(besides the face). It did suck having to clean it after a 6-8 hour patrol but it's worth it when you consider the alternative.

HCM, that is very true. I was with one of the units that first brought the IAR down range but I'm under the impression the new gen of Pmags make up for that.

Side note: lube still applies to the IAR, as a lot of our newer guys figured out.

User Tag List