Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Beretta 92FS

Keep me (us) posted on how you like these. My #2 grandson could definitely use "thinner". Heck, me too, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Keep me (us) posted on how you like these. My #2 grandson could definitely use "thinner". Heck, me too, for that matter.

I love them already. The texture has just the right amount of grip. The G10 material makes for very sharp checkering, With some styles gloves are a must, and forget about concealed carry as it will tear up your clothes. This pattern is just aggressive enough to be well suited for general use. Size wise I didn't have a problem with the factory grips, but these are just a bit thinner and make the pistol feel as if it were made for my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I love them already. The texture has just the right amount of grip. The G10 material makes for very sharp checkering, With some styles gloves are a must, and forget about concealed carry as it will tear up your clothes. This pattern is just aggressive enough to be well suited for general use. Size wise I didn't have a problem with the factory grips, but these are just a bit thinner and make the pistol feel as if it were made for my hand.
    They sound good. Where are these grips to be found? Did you buy them direct?

As an aside, I wonder if the new Wilson Combat grips are also thinner than the stock grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    They sound good. Where are these grips to be found? Did you buy them direct?

As an aside, I wonder if the new Wilson Combat grips are also thinner than the stock grips.

They can be bought directly from the company: https://vzgrips.com/

The grips offered by Wilson Combat are VZs.

Site Supporter
    Brownell's carries them too.

And Amazon...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Now that I've been living with this new gun for almost two months I thought I'd post an update.

I've mostly completed the modifications desired. These include replacing the rear sight, safety/decocker lever, magazine release and trigger. All of which were replaced by parts obtained from Wilson Combat. Also, the stock hammer spring was replaced with a factory D Spring.

I wanted to replace the rear sight with one possessing a forward ledge to allow for easier one-handed manipulation. The shape of the Wilson sight also makes working the slide easier on the hand as the stock sight can gouge the hand rather easily. The .270 sight offered by Wilson maintained the same POA/POI as the factory sight as well as the same rear notch width. The sight didn't require any fitting but was very tight going into the dovetail. At least on my sample of one the set screw is nice but not critical.

Next, the ambidextrous safety/decocker lever was replaced with a single sided low profile lever.

This was done for two primary reasons: as a long time user of the 1911 in a concealment role I've found I prefer avoiding ambi safties since they can catch on clothing and become inadvertently engaged or disengaged depending on the design. The low profile lever also helps mitigate the issue of accidently engaging the safety while performing an overhand manipulation of the slide. I typically prefer to use the slide stop when reloading but I've intentionally been doing a lot of overhand working of the Beretta's slide and have yet to engage the safety. The unit went in easily but was extremely stiff initially. It's since broken in nicely. Beware though, if you're going to install one of these you're well advised to place the slide in a box or plastic bag. The two spring detents on either side of the lever love to fly across the room if unrestrained.

The factory magazine release was replaced with an extended version. I didn't have a problem with the factory unit, but an extended release does make magazine release a bit easier and it's an improvement when wearing gloves. The factory polymer trigger was swapped out with a steel one because I intend to replace the mousetrap style trigger spring with a Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit and the stock trigger will not work. As of yet this part has not arrived so I can't comment on it, but the use of the steel trigger did take another half pound off the double action pull. I also replaced the factory hammer spring with a D Spring. The current result of these two modifications is a double action pull of eight pounds and a single action pull of four and a half pounds. Time will tell if the TCU lowers the pull further as I ordered the reduced power version. The use of G10 grips from VZ Grips also helps improve the pistol's ergonomics.

The one other change involved the pistol's duties rather than it's mechanics: it's now serving as my off duty weapon and the FNH FNS9 originally purchased to fill that role has been sold to a coworker. I found the more rounded profile of the Beretta's grip makes for easier concealment. In the end though it was the pistols accuracy that finally won me over. At ranges of twenty five yards and beyond the Beretta really outperformed the FN pistol and at least this particular sample vies with my 1911's for accuracy. I've now fired around 2500 rounds through the Beretta and it's accuracy and smooth shooting continue to impress me. I know it's shocking but I seem to be avoiding the latest spat of HK fever so I don't think I'll be dumping this one for a VP9 anytime soon.

I've gone from a high of 9 Beretta 92s (different variants, to just 5 of the non railed models - to the 3 I have now. I've sorta wanted to branch out again and try some different guns.

However - the Beretta 92 still remains my all time favorite handgun. Fantastic weapon - especially with Hogue rubber grip panels, a D hammer spring, and a skeletonized hammer!

What does the skeletonized hammer do for you other than sex appeal?

User Tag List