Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DarkStar Gear low profile AIWB

DarkStar Gear low profile AIWB

A while back I hit up DarkStar Gear about making me a minimalist, low profile AIWB holster for my Walther PPS.
    I'm a fan of the HighNoon Hideaway and the Fist #1K, both are single clip attachment holsters with no frills.
    For a pistol the size of the PPS I don't want any wedges, spacers or extra tuck. With my body style these "enhancements" usually end up printing more than the pistol and/or end up jabbing my bony pelvis.
    Here's the result.
    A low profile simple straight drop kydex holster with a adjustable height "fish hook" belt clip, is somewhat "tuckable" and the most important part... is toxic green to match my urban camo bug out bag.
    I tested it out last night (especially the "tuckable") feature while doing 8 hours of "unarmed" security work at the carnival. It worked great. Solid. secure, comfortable and stayed concealed even through a fight with two BIG boys.

Last edited by JodyH; 04-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I like that design a lot. I use a few FIST #1K also. How would you compare the ride height to the FIST? (I think the FIST 1K carries lower than some other purpose built AIWB holsters; and I prefer it that way.)
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I like that design a lot. I use a few FIST #1K also. How would you compare the ride height to the FIST? (I think the FIST 1K carries lower than some other purpose built AIWB holsters; and I prefer it that way.)
    Adjustable and built to request.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Can you build one for a p224? Orr is it better suited to a thinner gun?

I remember reading that short AIWB holsters tend to be unstable (hence the preference for larger guns). How does this compare?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    As pictured it carries exactly like a Fist #1K, but with a smaller, smoother edged footprint and it's a fraction thicker kydex.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    I remember reading that short AIWB holsters tend to be unstable (hence the preference for larger guns). How does this compare?
    With a belt that fits the clip rotation isn't a problem.
    I also prefer the lower ride with short guns so there's more holster inside the pants and the grip just touches the belt. This keeps rotation to a minimum (but does make for a slightly slower draw).

Also, is this basically the PPS version of what IRISH has here?

Thanks,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by JollyGreen View Post
    Also, is this basically the PPS version of what IRISH has here?

Thanks,
    D
    Yes. Funny enough I had a shell hanging around when Jody emailed me, I've been wanting to try something slightly different than what he asked for but it worked out quite well, so it seems.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

It came out exactly like what I had pictured in my mind.
    A Kydex HighNoon Hideaway, a sturdier smoother Fist #1K... in toxic green.

Anxiously awaiting mine, but I asked for orange

User Tag List