Thread: I want to SBR my de-register lower receiver

I want to SBR my de-register lower receiver

Hi,

I bought a Colt lower receiver off a dealer and it was originally a 6933 lower receiver ( factory SBR ). It was removed from the SBR list ( heard really they just note, it's no longer an SBR ). It's on a 14.5 pinned 16" upper, I'm looking to use that same lower receiver to but register it as a SBR.

I contacted the dealer telling them I was interested in them doing the work, he's telling me it can NEVER be registered again as an SBR and I'll have to buy another lower receiver. If that was the case, I would of loved to know that information when I bought it ( plus I'd be pissed ).

In all honesty, it doesn't sound right to me.. Anyone know if there is any truth to his statement or is he mistaken.

I wasn't sure if it could be put back on the list without my name and info, or if my info would have to be on the side like normal.

Thank you

Site Supporter
    I would call ATF's NFA branch and ask if you can file an application to make an SBR on a Form 1 with a receiver that was formerly registered. I think the number is (304) 616-4500.

Site Supporter
    I am pretty sure it can be 're-registered'. IIRC, there is a box on the form asking if the item was previously registered/deactivated.

Just submit the form 1 yourself. You don't have to go through a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I am pretty sure it can be 're-registered'. IIRC, there is a box on the form asking if the item was previously registered/deactivated.
    ". Reactivation. The restoration of a registered unserviceable NFA
    firearm to a functional condition. This action incurs the making tax
    liability"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Just submit the form 1 yourself. You don't have to go through a dealer.
    I planned on getting a suppressor as well, and them putting my info on my lower. They do great work

"Re-activation" and registration are two different things.

Re-activation applies to unserviceable, registered NFA firearms. If it's not on the registry and is in working order, you're not reactivating it, you're applying to manufacture and register it.

I know of no reason why you couldn't re-register a de-registered SBR, but as noted you'll be manufacturing the SBR and will have to follow all the steps that entails.

Standard caveats that the NFA really isn't for dabblers and this isn't legal advice and I'm not your lawyer go here.

Yes, you can "de-register" and re-register firearms in the registry. Legally speaking, you don't even have to advise ATF that you have removed a firearm from the purview of the NFA.

I did this when I sold my Uzi that I had SBR'ed. Sent a certified letter to ATF advising them I was removing the features that made it an SBR and requesting they remove it from the registry. All I got back was a form letter thanking me "keeping the NFA registry accurate."

User Tag List