Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birds of Prey Know they are Cool

Birds of Prey Know they are Cool

Saw both this afternoon while walking the dog in the impound yard.

A Bald Eagle being harassed by a smaller bird I could not identify:

Small Red Tailed Hawk
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    The one thing Jefferson (attributed) was wrong about. </where's the wink smile?>
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Forgot to mention that what inspired me to dig out the camera was having a pair of hawks buzz me in the yard, one screaming overhead as the other flew just out of reach to my left with what could only be identified as a piece of bloody meat in its talons. I think I am going to need to get some better long range equipment if I am going to get any decent shots of soaring birds.

One of a pair of Ospreys that were hanging out on a cell tower.

The Ospreys are back and have nested in the cell tower and this immature Bald Eagle sometimes likes to hang out.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 09-01-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Thanks for the pictures, they are very well done.

I have a cell tower about 75 yards from my back door. There was an osprey nest in that tower several years ago, but an owl family moved in about five years ago. The owls were there for one season and trashed the nest and it fell out of the tower. The osprey's still perch on the tower, but haven't rebuilt the nest. The county has put platforms on several phone/power line poles in the area specifically for the osprey's and there are several osprey nests in the area.

The school across the street has quite a few Live Oak trees that are favorites of some hawks. I'm not much of a bird expert, but I've been quite surprised at how low the hawks stay vs. the higher flying of the osprey's. I used to walk my dog at the school and the first time seeing out of the corner of my eye, a big hawk flying under the tree canopy was quite startling.

My hobby is radio-controlled model planes. One genre I fly is electric sailplanes; essentially a soaring glider with a small electric motor and folding prop in the nose, used to get the thing to altitude instead of needing a glider tug or winch hi-start. Once "up", you kill the motor, the prop folds back, and you glide around to your heart's content.

Two weeks ago, I was soaring around at 500 feet or so, looking for thermals. and a big hawk swooped in and flew formation with me for about five minutes. He was definitely checking the model out, as he got right up to it and I could see his head moving about as he looked at it. This model has a six-foot wingspan, although its skinny, etc. The hawk apparently decided the model was not suitable groceries and no threat, and eventually he peeled off and disappeared. But he stayed right with me the whole time; I made some sharp aileron turns, and then dropped about fifty feet quickly via deploying spoilerons… didn't faze him a bit.

That was just too cool. They are indeed amazing critters.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    That was just too cool. They are indeed amazing critters.

Very cool. Something you'll never forget.

User Tag List