Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Friends Don't Let Friends Buy the Mini-14

Why Friends Don't Let Friends Buy the Mini-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcfqZFWpk9s

I've always heard they don't perform so well in dirty conditions, but never saw a demonstration. This video shows the Mini 14 both clean and in a dust test, also using CLP, grease, and dry. It's even worse than I thought.

The dust test seems reasonable, without being to the extreme that some of the youtube torture tests are.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

BTDT circa 1980, they do not hold up to hard use.

I thought it was because they used proprietary mags, were 6MOA guns for decades of production, cost the same as an AR, and aren't modular
    #RESIST

The Kalashnikov is a better gun in every regard.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I thought it was because they used proprietary mags, were 6MOA guns for decades of production, cost the same as an AR, and aren't modular
    I think the whole inability to repair basic parts on your own is the biggest hit against the gun.....well, other than it not being able to function when dirt gets on the action.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think the whole inability to repair basic parts on your own is the biggest hit against the gun.....well, other than it not being able to function when dirt gets on the action.
    Yup. Also strongly concur with FredM on the AK.
    #RESIST

I took a Mini to a week long rifle course conducted on a talcum powder range in high plains wind conditions. Several Minis were on the line those days, and their performance was not surprising. The guns were not paperweights, but much time was spent fighting guns instead of targets.

Mini-14s are found in LE use here and there, and usually in clusters. Less often every year as they are replaced by AR types. Some users have elected to retain them as spares or deep stock, as they've had virtually no trade in value. They have some value as "aww, shucks" guns, a gun that prompts little more than "aww shucks" when lost, stolen, or ditched.

If you're going to run a Mini...

domestically manufactured, .223 Rem SAAMI spec ammo from a credible manufacturer
    OEM 5rd or 20rd magazines
    lube generously, relube often
    stock a spare FP and extractor
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Would the use of the 5.56mm ammo vice .223 be a contributing factor to the issues in the video? (I did not watch the whole thing as of yet, just noticed the printing on the ammo can)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Why Friends Don't Let Friends Buy the Mini-14

Id be interested to see how an m1 carbine would fair in the same test. Given pretty much the same action i would expect to see similar results. If so then while the AR is a clearly better rifle, the fact that this action served in combat so well for so long - the test might be a little extreme.

I have found my mini runs better on 223 than 556 ammo. The mini is what it is. I like them but don't consider them the rifle the AR or AK are. Newer guns will certainly shoot better than 6 moa with the best ones getting close to stock ar accuracy.

Being in a ban state full of hoplophobes I see a lot of value in a rifle like the mini. It is the "gray rifle" and accompanies me on camping trips far more often than my ARs do.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 04-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Many years ago I used to see people bring these things out to Ft Meade from time to time. As close as I could tell, the main purpose was to occasionally make noise. They were routinely no more accurate than an AK firing combloc surplus, and way less reliable.
    One day, a guy explosively disassembled one, no one was hurt, so it was fairly humorous. Not sure if he got a little enthusiastic with reloading or what, but he carried it home in a grocery bag.

User Tag List