Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal problems using a Ak?

Legal problems using a Ak?

Is there a difference between using a Ak instead of an AR for home defense legally speaking?

Is it a legally owned weapon and a lawful self defense shooting? I fail to see why it would matter.

Media portrayal would probably be equally bad but a lawful shoot is a lawful shoot.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    If not me, then who?

That was exactly my thought process. I had a friend tell me today I should get rid of my underfolder for a AR because the ak would most likely get me in trouble if I ever had to use it..

An legal problems that stem from using an AK would be the same if you used an AR. If you act lawfully the specific tool you use should not make a difference. In some places, depending on the political climate and the people in the prosecutors office it might make a difference. To those people the AK and the AR are equally evil.

Just a side not, I did know a guy about 15 years ago who did use an AK in a self defense shooting. It was a very clean shoot and the cops wrote it up as such. Once everyone on the legal side was satisfied that the dead guy really needed to be shot nobody cared what he got shot with.

If you live in Montana, the chance you'll be dealing with a prosecutor who'd make a big deal about an AK seem remote at best.

On the other hand, I would not want to be involved in even the most righteous shoot using an AK in the SF Bay Area or LA.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

If I'm on the jury, I'll probably think you are a commie for using one.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It depends.

Tangentially-related anecdote: In the mid-late '80s a childhood friend of mine in the neighborhood in Atlanta bought a Polytech AK underfolder back when they were fresh and new to these shores. This friend also collected militaria, mostly WWII German stuff. Believe it or not, he was a big ol' peaceful hippie whose political views were generally what I'd consider pretty left of center, but his dad was a fairly high muckety-muck with a large Fortune 500 corporation. One day I noticed that he was keeping one of his magazines loaded "just in case anybody broke in."

"Dude," I said (and this was teenage me who had never even heard of Massad Ayoob and who owned, like, a 10/22) "If somebody busts in, you'd better use your dad's revolver, or just run out the back door."

"Why?"

"Because if you cap somebody, and they happen to be black, and there's a newspaper photo of *********'s son in handcuffs with one cop behind him holding an AK-47, the preferred weapon of the enemy, and another cop holding a Nazi battle flag found in the killer's bedroom, they won't be able to find an impartial jury between here and Seattle."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    If you live in Montana, the chance you'll be dealing with a prosecutor who'd make a big deal about an AK seem remote at best.

On the other hand, I would not want to be involved in even the most righteous shoot using an AK in the SF Bay Area or LA.
    In all fairness, he'd be in trouble in urban CA no matter which weapon he uses. To modify a saying , "eez gun! Eez not liked in Granola Republik!"

Likely sound bytes from anti DA:

1911 pistol-" Big Deadly .45."
    30-30 lever action-" wannabe cowboy"
    12 gauge - "assault shotgun".

And so on, and so forth.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Thanks for all of the replies. It's not my first line of choice when it comes to protecting my home (I use a pistol for that because of controlling my dogs). I consider it more of a back up plan or the cops are not gonna be showing up anytime soon plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    If I'm on the jury, I'll probably think you are a commie for using one.

Hey now, the polish are our allies

User Tag List