Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Legal problems using a Ak?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Anyone who has been involved in a Jury trail knows it's a crap shoot to some extent. It's all a matter of perception. The Jury's perception of the events will determine reality. My take from this is not as a defendant, but as a LEO trying to get convections in Common Pleas court.

As far as increased legal issues if using an AK for home defense versus using an AR, the same argument has been made over the years for not using a pistol with aftermarket trigger work, or any modifications, ect. The same arguments have been made for not using any type of AR platform and instead using a shotgun. After all, that's what our Vice President says we should all do...

I strongly believe so long as the firearm is legal to own in your jurisdiction, that a good shooting is a good shooting. And a questionable shooting will be scrutinized.

No matter how good of a shooting incident you feel you are involved in. Get an attorney. Not all attorneys are the same. It's your freedom at stake, so treat yourself and get a good one.
    I think pretty much everything you said is correct. I don't think choice of arms will make an obviously good shooting questionable, but I do think it can influence how a borderline shooting is viewed at any stage in the proceedings, with the influence strongest at the jury level.

Juries...I've talked to a few after the verdict came in and the stuff they come up with to focus on...let's just say I am always surprised.

Site Supporter
    I strongly believe so long as the firearm is legal to own in your jurisdiction, that a good shooting is a good shooting. And a questionable shooting will be scrutinized.
    I think that Leupold is coming out with the Good-Shoot-o-tron to be mounted on all guns. Until then, there is no way to know before hand if a shoot is good until the legal process scrutinizes it. Perhaps, we will get miniaturized cameras and mikes on all defensive home and carry guns. You might also have a camera/mike set up as being pushed for LEO shoulder mounts. It will record your every movement and utterance in a shooting. When you draw the gun, you will have a record. The shoulder camera will record before that. Is that the good shoot solution?

If you have the successful Zimmerman model as a good shoot, you had two people alone. George lucked out on the jury and the charge. It could have easily been a bad shoot for him.

There is no algorithmic way to determine what is a good shoot beforehand. Thus, if you go to court, then the factors mentioned will come into play. Training, competition, gun type, ammo, your postings, your haircut, even the close timing between shots can be found in discussions of court proceedings.

The good shoot may finally be determined when the jury lets you go, the civil case comes out in your favor (depending on state laws) and perhaps even when society decides you are not a putz or killer.

Site Supporter
    A PS - folks down play appearance issues due to their precognitive insight into their good shoot. But if you go to trial - some are sure that appearance issues will not be important. Just for grins - here is a legal journal take on clothes:

http://www.thejuryexpert.com/2012/07...ght-statement/

Be sure to wear your AR-15 zombie killer tee-shirt to court.

User Tag List