Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am not a rifleman......these are my rifles.

I am not a rifleman......these are my rifles.

For some reason or 'nother, I've never really been interested in rifles. I recognize their uses, but for sheer enjoyment, I've always been a handgun guy. Not to be "that guy", but National events in the last few years have convinced me that at some point in my lifetime, I might actually NEED a rifle. Soooo....I picked up/Leggoed a couple.

Waffen Werks AK74 with a Damage industries rail, an Aimpoint Comp-M2, 200 lumen Surefire/V-TAC E2D, and a Blue Force Gear Vickers two point sling.

Palmetto State Armory mid-length AR with a pencil barrel, Rainier XTC break, BCM gunfighter grip and charging handle, Magpul MOE stock, Aimpoint Comp-M4, and fixed Daniel Defense iron sights.

I absolutely LOVE my AK. I really like the AR as well, more than I thought I would, actually........but I also don't have anywhere near as many rounds through the AR. With more range time I might come to like the AR just as much, it is after all, an extremely handy little carbine.

I guess for now I'll just have to shoot them both......as much as I can afford, that is.

How do you like the Damage Industries rail? It's an interesting design, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    How do you like the Damage Industries rail? It's an interesting design, for sure.
    Seems like lots of shops are licensing the Parallax Tactical base design and calling it their own with a few tweaks. Looks like DI eliminated the tapped holes where you could add rail sections along the sides and bottom.

That's a solid-looking setup on the AR. Good call on going with the fixed iron sights instead of flip-ups. Really, the only thing I'd change right away if it showed up on my doorstep would be to swap in an ambidextrous safe/fire lever. I'm a big fan of the BAD-ASS kit that comes with an assortment of lever sizes and shapes.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Good stuff, we need more rifle threads.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    For some reason or 'nother, I've never really been interested in rifles. I recognize their uses, but for sheer enjoyment, I've always been a handgun guy. Not to be "that guy", but National events in the last few years have convinced me that at some point in my lifetime, I might actually NEED a rifle. Soooo....I picked up/Leggoed a couple.
    Nice!

My only real criticism? If I were buying two rifles for eventual/maybe pragmatic need reasons, I'd have bought two of the same gun.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Eli,
    Some nice looking and well thought out rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Nice!

My only real criticism? If I were buying two rifles for eventual/maybe pragmatic need reasons, I'd have bought two of the same gun.
    Me too, but I think that an argument could be made for having 1 of each in popular calibers - if you can't feed one, hopefully you can feed the other.

Nice set up, I am almost done with my underfolder, only have to get a H-1 and I'll be good. Also waiting for magpul to come out with the metal reinforced 7.62x39 mags...

-polish underfolder from Atlantic firearms
    -us palm grip
    -thorntail offset with surefire G2x
    -ultimak rail
    -krebs underfolder saftey
    -rifle dynamics rear sight
    -soon to be h1
    - ms3 sling (works on two sling attatchment points)
    *pretty handy general purpose rifle

Thanks guys, I don't have many rounds through either one, but they are fun to shoot. Once I get out of school I plan on maybe picking up a couple more......and a ton of ammo for them. For now though, I'm content with putting a few boxes through them every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I really like the longer section on the gas tube. It allows me to put the light in perfect position for easy activation with my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor
    Looks like DI eliminated the tapped holes where you could add rail sections along the sides and bottom.
    The top and bottom rails are solid, but the sides are tapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    I had honestly intended on picking up a AK47 and an AK74, but PSA had an unbelievable sale last Black Friday. I picked up the complete AR in parts kit form, for about what a Carbon-15 is going for now. All of the aftermarket stuff (grip, charging handle, XTC, sights, optic), got added slowly and only when I found them on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ
    Me too, but I think that an argument could be made for having 1 of each in popular calibers - if you can't feed one, hopefully you can feed the other.
    Which was working out pretty well until the BATFEIEIO came along and goatstuffed the importation of 7n6. I've still got most of what I bought, but as a full time student with all of the bills that that incurs....I wasn't able to pick up much. I'm not generally a negative vibes type of person, but I'd like to see everyone involved in that organization come down with a very embarrassing and inconvenient STD.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakingtime91
    Nice set up, I am almost done with my underfolder, only have to get a H-1 and I'll be good. Also waiting for magpul to come out with the metal reinforced 7.62x39 mags...
    Ideally, mine would be wearing an H-1 or T-1 and it'd be riding in some kind of "co-witnessable" mount, but I found the Comp-M2 on sale for way less than I've ever found a Micro.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    At times, I have been accused of being the Guy that gives "That Guy" a bad rep. So I understand your motivation for buying a couple of rifles. Not to mention they are fun to shoot! But the thing that has kept me from buying a AK74 clone over the years is ammo availability should it no longer be permitted to be imported. Kind of like right now...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Nice!

Please listen her... There is a lot of wisdom is such a short sentence!

If you are just buying a carbine for protecting your home, buy a spare of the same gun. If you use it, the gun you use will end up in an evidence locker for a period of time. The bad person you had to shoot may have friends and relatives. These stellar individuals may have issue with your decision making process, and they may want to visit you and personally express their displeasure at your shooting their loved one. I'm thinking that would be a bad time to have a different system to learn.

If you get into training and/or competition, your gun may go down for various reasons. Spend all the money to travel half way across the country for a training course, only to have an equipment issue that is not a quick fix. Easiest way to get back up and running is to have a spare in the trunk you can go grab.

If you're limited on funds available for gun stuff, it's cheaper to only have to stock one type of ammunition, magazines, ect.

I own a couple of Micro Aimpoint T-1 sights. Excellent RDS. But any new purchases have been the Aimpoint PRO RDS. The PRO is really a great RDS for the money. But with that said, the Comp-M2 isn't a bad sight. If the price was right, you are much better off with a Comp-M2 than with no RDS at all.

User Tag List