Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Hobo Hardware

What all have you done to it?

A few years back I spent a couple weeks at the FN factory, working on M240 and M249 series belt feds. The guards were carrying new FN pistols and I was not really familiar with them, so I asked about them. The guys at the factory let me monkey finger a few, but unfortunately was not able to shoot them. I wondered if they could be tricked out and turned into a good carry/race gun.

I am interested to hear about your overall thoughts and what you think needs work to make one "race ready".

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    At the end of the day, though, like all these plastic commodity pistols, it's full of toaster parts, and that's just hard to love.
    THAT'S RACIST!
    Or organicist, or speciesist or something.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    That gun, if FN wakes up, could be a Glock/M&P killer. There's lots to like, and a few things that need work.
    I'd love to know more.

Okie John

Funny thing - when I first got that gun, I think I made some snide comments about it. When I was working on it, I made even more snide comments.

When it went back together, both Tactical Hobo and I were actually impressed with it.

That gun, if FN wakes up, could be a Glock/M&P killer. There's lots to like, and a few things that need work.
    It seems to me that FN understands how to promote guns to the shooter community, but not how to sell to the mass market. Until they figure out how to play the large-scale marketing game at the level of Glock or Smith, they're not much of a threat no matter how good their guns are.

It's not like it's an impossible task which requires marketing geniuses -- look at how SIG has managed to do well for themselves despite Glock and Smith gobbling up the lion's share of the LE market.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

After shooting an FNS for the first time a few weeks ago, I was impressed. I really liked it. I thought "If they'd pack the market with mags and replacement parts, they might be on to something." My response to someone saying that have an FN has always been "Oh, that's cool." Zero interest in ever shooting one, much less owning one, but I must admit they have my attention more lately than ever.

I for one would like you to expound upon your thoughts of this pistol. How nice do you find the manufacturing quality to be? How well made are the small parts/striker/sear? Are the tolerances above or below what you would consider average in the industry? How is the barrel to slide lock-up? Would you elaborate on the modifications to the magazine release? How does the heat treat and Rockwell hardness of the parts strike you?. What do you think needs to be improved upon? Your projects and evaluations on the forum have been invaluable and I would like more information on this pistol as I am currently thinking VERY hard about purchasing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    THAT'S RACIST!
    Or organicist, or speciesist or something.
    All toasters were created equal. Some toasters are more equal than others.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Funny thing - when I first got that gun, I think I made some snide comments about it. When I was working on it, I made even more snide comments.

When it went back together, both Tactical Hobo and I were actually impressed with it.

I shot a Glock 34 in Production Division for years then switched to a M&P PRO 5 inch which I use for USPASA and IDPA. Recently, a FNS "long slide" used by a nationally ranked competitor was brought to the range when a group was practicing (all shooting G34 or M&P PRO 9's). All thought the FNS "long slide" was interesting but none saw a need to switch and thereby incur the cost of new gun, new mags, new holsters, and new accessories. It may be late to the party.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FuSchniken View Post
    I for one would like you to expound upon your thoughts of this pistol. How nice do you find the manufacturing quality to be? How well made are the small parts/striker/sear? Are the tolerances above or below what you would consider average in the industry? How is the barrel to slide lock-up? Would you elaborate on the modifications to the magazine release? How does the heat treat and Rockwell hardness of the parts strike you?. What do you think needs to be improved upon? Your projects and evaluations on the forum have been invaluable and I would like more information on this pistol as I am currently thinking VERY hard about purchasing one.
    The custom FNS "long slide" I recently shot (not mine - brought to range by other when a group was practicing) was very nice and I would say equal in manufacturing quality to G34 and M&P (based on a very short observation!). If you did not already own a G34 and/or M&P PRO, I would certainly consider the purchase positively.

It seems like I remember seeing or reading a foreign military carrying FN pistols. I seem to remember seeing it with my own two eyes at a FOB somewhere but I'm really foggy on it. I remember bull pup rifles and drop leg holster FN's vaguely.

It could be old age screwing with me though. My point is if there is a mil contract somewhere there are lots of magazines and spare parts somewhere
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List