Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: M&P Failure - Striker Breakage

Quote Originally Posted by TigerStripe View Post
    Yes, sir I believe so. My limited understanding is that the melonite makes the striker, or other material, more brittle and subject to breakage with impact but I defer to your superior knowledge.
    It has been too long since I looked at comparison photos, but I believe the newer ones also have additional material in the more highly stressed areas.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    It has been too long since I looked at comparison photos
    http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....771#post601771

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yup. But exposed to the general gunternet, one would be hard pressed to know anything other than "MIM bad".
    You can keep saying that all you want, but for those of us who have had bad experiences with MIM, it is BAD!!! That said, I prefer quality over cheap a$$ crap parts that has now become the defacto standard with most gun companies. Whats next to make things cheaper in the gun world to bolster the bottom line, paper mache? I'm sorry, but S&W autos, or revolvers for that matter, are in no way the same quality now as they were pre MIM. You know what I'm talkin' about, you own fine examples of old S&W revolvers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jkurtz7 View Post
    You can keep saying that all you want, but for those of us who have had bad experiences with MIM, it is BAD!!!
    When something fails, how are you concluding the failure was the fault of MIM and not a design/engineering issue?

There are more than a few guns that are filled with MIM parts and work just fine, like HKs.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    When something fails, how are you concluding the failure was the fault of MIM and not a design/engineering issue?

There are more than a few guns that are filled with MIM parts and work just fine, like HKs.
    Then you, and the vast majority of the handgun buying public can have all the MIM you want and be happy. I want quality guns built with quality parts, not the latest form of pot metal. Taurus pistols are full of MIM and very few here will buy them right? What's the difference between today's S&W and Taurus? To me, there isn't much of a difference between the two. S&W quality is about on par with Taurus these days, but people buy a name with S&W.

Looks like S&W is now using MIM barrels in the new M&P Bodyguard 380. That's simply a new all time low in gun manufacturing.
    Since MIM is the god of gun parts these days, I'll stay the hell out the discussion from now on, I'm obviously some retarded fool since I'm not hip to substandard materials in firearms.

Site Supporter
    So ... you haven't done anything to eliminate a design/engineering issue vs. a MIM failure issue. Got it.

can have all the MIM you want and be happy.
    Yup, I'm pretty pleased with my Glocks.

You can keep saying that all you want, but for those of us who have had bad experiences with MIM, it is BAD!!! That said, I prefer quality over cheap a$$ crap parts that has now become the defacto standard with most gun companies. Whats next to make things cheaper in the gun world to bolster the bottom line, paper mache? I'm sorry, but S&W autos, or revolvers for that matter, are in no way the same quality now as they were pre MIM. You know what I'm talkin' about, you own fine examples of old S&W revolvers.

I wish the would make the regular 38spl standard pressure only AW j frames again. My M37 had a little more class than my M637-1.
    Accuracy has stayed the same. POA/POI =158gr and still able to group 5rds into a clover at 7y.
    Really haven't been let down by the 6Jframes I bought trough out the years. 80`s to the last one in 5-2012 a M642-2 evil lock. Yes I rather see the lock go. but on the other hand haven't had any problems with M642-2

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    You can keep saying that all you want, but for those of us who have had bad experiences with MIM, it is BAD!!!
    Unless you, too, wrote up broken guns for a living for nearly fifteen years, I've probably seen more broken MIM than you can imagine.

Also more broken castings, fractured aluminum, snapped plastic, splintered wood, and cracked machined-from-barstock blessed-by-Odin Vikiing war steel.

Guys that don't even know what MIM IS are conditioned by misinformed chatter on gun fora to rail about its presence in the lockwork of a Commander whose frame is made out of recycled beer cans. It's ludicrous.

(...and I fully admit that I was parroting the "MIM Bad!" stuff myself up until less than ten years ago. After all, I'd read it on the internet.)
    Last edited by Tamara; 04-06-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Incidentally, ranting about the quality of new-vs.-old S&W revolvers is actually saying "I've never looked under the sideplate of a new 629 and a pre-war .44 HE side by side."

Joe Jablonski knew nobody was going to be looking at the surfaces in there; CNC Mill #62185 did not. Guess which gun looks like the frame was machined out with a flint axe?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Here is a thread I started 3 years ago with some pictures of my broken silver and black strikers. The single reason I can never see myself ever buying another M&P. Maybe they got it figure out but I won't stake my life on it. http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...one-else/page2

User Tag List