Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ivan, did you see the sunrise?

That would have been something to experience. My childhood airplane memories are mostly of the "Air Rendezvous" air show in Springfield, IL, which *of course* came to an end years ago because of low attendance.

They used to get either the Thunderbirds or the Blue Angels every year. The Thunderbirds would send one plane off somewhere out of sight, perform some cool maneuvers in front of the crowd, and then the missing plane would make a supersonic pass over the audience from behind. I will never forget how frightening and exhilarating that was.

Also the A10 pilot who just laughed when I asked him what his patch meant. It read, "A-10: Ugly, But Well Hung." Dad wouldn't tell me, either.

"Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray.
    My legs are longer though, to run away."
    --Helena of Athens

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    A Merlin in full song has a glorious mixture of snarl and whistle and general mechanical goodness.

"I feel like somebody gave you the keys to the Washington Monument and said 'Hey, take it for a spin.'"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You know what was great? Baa Baa Black Sheep. Corsairs and A/T-6's dressed up as Zeros winging around the Catalina Islands, man that was good tv.

One of the great things about growing up in SoCal was seeing those planes flying around all the time when they were filming the show. It's also funny how good those shows were when we were younger......but we have been spoiled by Hollywood. I got the first several seasons of Hunter on DVD........it was SO much better when it first came out.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    .but we have been spoiled by Hollywood. I got the first several seasons of Hunter on DVD........it was SO much better when it first came out.
    I agree. I loved Hunter as a kid. A few years ago one of the local channels ran the reruns during the day and I DVR'd them. When I sat down to watch it, I realized that not since the A-Team did a show from my childhood disappoint me as an adult.

(sniff) I love you guys! (sniff)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    You know what was great? Baa Baa Black Sheep. Corsairs and A/T-6's dressed up as Zeros winging around the Catalina Islands, man that was good tv.
    I mentioned this thread at dinner with my folks last night.
    I had known that my dad was on the USS Yorktown when it picked up the Apollo 8 capsule. What he told me last night was that on that same cruise the Yorktown delivered to Hawaii the aircraft used in the movie Tora! Tora! Tora!. He's supposed to have some old Super8 reels packed away somewhere.

Anybody else remember seeing Midway in the theater with "Sensurround". As a kid, that was simply the ultimate in anchoring WW2 aircraft love.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Just finished season 8 of Magnum. Even though I was born as the shows was entering its later seasons, it is still my favorite show of all time. If I could only find an Al's Automotive Tigers ball cap....

Now on to Miami Vice, can't believe I never watched this before.

User Tag List