Thread: Doc, have you tested the Nosler .223 bonded?

Doc, have you tested the Nosler .223 bonded?

Doc,

Have you tested the .223 64gr Nosler bonded bullet? Just curious if it is comparable to the Speer Gold Dot. Looking for a good bullet to reload that is actually available.

http://www.nosler.com/bonded-solid-base/
    http://www.nosler.com/defense-rifle/

Quote Originally Posted by Symmetry View Post
    Doc,

Have you tested the .223 64gr Nosler bonded bullet? Just curious if it is comparable to the Speer Gold Dot. Looking for a good bullet to reload that is actually available.

http://www.nosler.com/bonded-solid-base/
    http://www.nosler.com/defense-rifle/
    Don't want to speak for Doc, but the bullet is the same one used by Winchester for their FBI round. When I called Nosler after the description appeared on one of my distributor websites, they informed me that it was not sealed and the primers were not crimped.

Sigfan26 hits the nail on the head. Any defensive load should be sealed and the primers crimped...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Not a problem when you have to control over loading them yourself. Thanks for the info.

I would rather load it myself than to have crimped and sealed necks and primers. I can do the sealing myself, and the only primers I have ever popped were in factory ammo with crimped primers.

I bought stuff to seal my ammo, and I tested it side by side with just my standard unsealed ammo. I loaded two rounds one sealed and one loaded without sealing.

I put them in water for a week and then pulled them apart. There was no moisture in either one. I put the powder back in and reseated the bullets and fired them. From my very unscientific test im good with how tight the components fit for waterproofing.

If you have access to some cfe 223 it gave me the best loads just slightly under max. I dont have my notes handy, but if your interested just let me know. I also have the nosler 7 if you need the load info.

Doc, have you tested the Nosler .223 bonded?

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Sigfan26 hits the nail on the head. Any defensive load should be sealed and the primers crimped...
    Thanks Doc. I, personally, don't have an issue with the lack of sealant living in a Midwest state (if I was in a coastal state, sealant would be a deal breaker for me). The crimped primers is the killer. A popped primer is something that can render an AR platform useless. I have a bunch of the Silver State 5.56 ammo using the same bullet that have crimped primers... And (based on dealer cost), are between $4 and $6 less per box... I still want some of the Winchester, though, that meets ALL the criteria of ideal duty ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I would rather load it myself than to have crimped and sealed necks and primers. I can do the sealing myself, and the only primers I have ever popped were in factory ammo with crimped primers.

I bought stuff to seal my ammo, and I tested it side by side with just my standard unsealed ammo. I loaded two rounds one sealed and one loaded without sealing.

I put them in water for a week and then pulled them apart. There was no moisture in either one. I put the powder back in and reseated the bullets and fired them. From my very unscientific test im good with how tight the components fit for waterproofing.

If you have access to some cfe 223 it gave me the best loads just slightly under max. I dont have my notes handy, but if your interested just let me know. I also have the nosler 7 if you need the load info.
    Thanks for the info. Powder is pretty hard to come by these days, so most of my stock is Vihtavuori N133 and N135. Got any load info on those for the 64gr?

Nosler only has data for imr4895, cfe223, varget, and benchmark. I used data for the sierra 63grain smp on noslers recommendations before they had published data. I was able to snag some of these before they were released as a component from shooters pro shop.

The data for the sierra 63 smp part #1370 is: viht n133 min21.4 at 2600fps max 23.0 at 2800fps
    Viht n135 min 22.1 at 2600fps max 24.3 at 2850

Oal from nosler is 2.175"

These loads are right in line with noslers data. All there loads clock in at around 2800-2850 for max.

When I pushed these passed 2900 the groups went way downhill, and I could not find a higher accuracy node without excessive pressure. A very light crimp applied with the lee fcd also cut group size from a little under 2 inch average at 100. To just slightly above an inch average.

Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post

Back in the mid 90`s
    I went to go buy sealant (primer & bullet) at one of the shops. and a guy pretty much laugh at me! O well I wanted to loaded up some SD pistol loads for future zombies LOL.

So I went home and loaded up some 9mm 124 Ball. I didn't seal both ends, and set the 9mm cartridge in a glass of water over night.
    After work I took the cartridge out of the class of water and dried it off with paper towel. I went to my back yard/range and fired it off! Boom.

I use to hunt all the time until my move to SWF and have cross creeks , got soaked, hunt in the rain and snow and never had a DUD because of water getting into the case.

I did have a habit of spraying of my 222rem bolt action with WD40 when it got wet or had any moisture. After drying I would put a cartridge in the chamber when staying at the cabin . I got a dead primmer because the WD40 penetrated the cartridge. That's what the letter from Remington stated. I don't care what Painless /box of truth says the WD40 did its trick .

I still a fan of both ends sealed even though I never had any water problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Back in the mid 90`s
    I went to go buy sealant (primer & bullet) at one of the shops. and a guy pretty much laugh at me! O well I wanted to loaded up some SD pistol loads for future zombies LOL.

So I went home and loaded up some 9mm 124 Ball. I didn't seal both ends, and set the 9mm cartridge in a glass of water over night.
    After work I took the cartridge out of the class of water and dried it off with paper towel. I went to my back yard/range and fired it off! Boom.

I use to hunt all the time until my move to SWF and have cross creeks , got soaked, hunt in the rain and snow and never had a DUD because of water getting into the case.

I did have a habit of spraying of my 222rem bolt action with WD40 when it got wet or had any moisture. After drying I would put a cartridge in the chamber when staying at the cabin . I got a dead primmer because the WD40 penetrated the cartridge. That's what the letter from Remington stated. I don't care what Painless /box of truth says the WD40 did its trick .

I still a fan of both ends sealed even though I never had any water problems.
    From my experience I wont turn away sealed ammunition. I just wont take the extra time to do it for myself.

User Tag List