Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shooting N Frames in Elmer Keith Country

The 5" 29-2 started out as this guy:

I was heading back from visiting a friend in Montana, and spent two days and a night on the Pahsimeroi goofing off. These ground squirrels look untouched because I was aiming low, as they would hide behind their dirt mounds. If you hit just below them, the bullet travels through the dirt mound and launches them into the air, killing them stone dead. LOADS of fun competing with yourself in the "Ground Squirrel Olympics".

This is the result of a medium range hit with a hot loaded 185 grain jacketed/exposed lead hollowpoint. I was burning up a couple boxes I had left and Mr. bunny came into range just before supper time.....

While the head was gone, the good meat was still intact.

Slow cook with some soup and it is back country gourmet!!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Lost River, you mentioned in a caption, "smoked up trousers" from the braced between the knees sitting position - I love shooting like that. I swear it's steadier than off a rest on a bench. Lean back into a pack or tree etc and clamp those knees around the hands. I tried to use it in a 3 gun match that had a stage that required knocking down multiple 8" plates at 60 yards with the pistol to stop time; but the RO had heart failure over my feet being out front. So we went another way on that.

Reminds me though of the recent discussion of Cooper's four rules etc. It never occurred me growing up that this position was the least bit of a violation of anything, including those four. Just don't screw it up!
    I agree you have to pay attention, but I (like you) find the braced shooting position to be very effective. I like to lean against the tire/wheel of my pickup, or against a tree/boulder, whatever.

People usually call BS when you say you can usually hit a 5 gallon bucket at 300 yards with a round from the first cylinder full. I must admit it makes me grin to see their face when you or someone else shows them what can be done at extended ranges, with consistent technique.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is turning into one of my all time favorite PF threads. I just love that part of the world. Here I am shooting a 5x5 elk at just over 400 yards with a .270WSM, back in that country.

GJM,

That is a great photo! So many things are just right with it. Congrats on your Idaho Elk!

GJM,

I forgot to comment about you using a 329 and Garrett ammo. Garrett loads are not for the recoil shy and to shoot them out of a 329 is getting smack dab in the middle of brutal recoil I would imagine, based on shooting 329s with standard pressure loads. I consider the 329 a great candidate for mid range and light loads. Kind of like a magnum chambered .44 special.

Do you have any pics of you Muley?
    Last edited by Lost River; 04-05-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: added comments

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post

Whats your medium load? I settled on 9 grs Unique with the Lyman 429421, or whatever commercial swc I found locally. It makes longer range hits vastly easier than the 44 spl level loads, but not as unpleasant as full power loads. 22 grs 2400 with the Lyman bullet, or sometimes a heavier bullet is my mountain carry load. I have a few 290 gr Lyman/Keith look-alikes that shoot well. With 18 1/2 grs 2400 they clocked at 1225 fps with about 25 fps max deviation in a 6" gun.

Years ago I settled on 3 main loads for my .44 mags here they are:

#1 = 8.5 grains Unique with 240/250 grain cast SWC loads for light loads. Great for focusing on the fundamentals of marksmanship and getting back into shooting large frame revolvers if I have been busy elsewhere. Great load for introducing shooters to big revolvers, and for rolling rabbits in the off season.

#2 = 10 grains Unique with 240/250 grain cast SWC loads for mid level/everyday loads. These work perfect for Idaho Mule deer, hogs, etc. Excellent GP loads

#3 = 22.5 grains H110 with 300 to 320 grain cast SWC loads for anything heavy, such as elk or dinosaurs.

Those three loads will do pretty much everything you will ever need to do with a .44.

In reality, 95% of all of most people's needs can be met with the mid level, 10 grain Unique load.

I do not shoot too many of the heavy loads through my Smiths. That being said, they are not nearly as fragile as the internet has given them a reputation for being.

While I would not pound many thousands of hot 320 grain loads through my Smiths, practicing and then regulating the sights for big game season are no issue.

Most of the time I shoot the mid level loads, with 10 grains Unique through my Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    GJM,

That is a great photo! So many things are just right with it. Congrats on your Idaho Elk!

GJM,

I forgot to comment about you using a 329 and Garrett ammo. Garrett loads are not for the recoil shy and to shoot them out of a 329 is getting smack dab in the middle of brutal recoil I would imagine, based on shooting 329s with standard pressure loads. I consider the 329 a great candidate for mid range and light loads. Kind of like a magnum chambered .44 special.

Do you have any pics of you Muley?
    I was shooting the Garrett "Defender" load which is designed for the 329 and mountain gun. The Defender load is 300 something at about 1,020 fps. Wouldn't shoot full power Garrett out of a 329 on a bet. Will have to look for a photo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was shooting the Garrett "Defender" load which is designed for the 329 and mountain gun. The Defender load is 300 something at about 1,020 fps. Wouldn't shoot full power Garrett out of a 329 on a bet. Will have to look for a photo.
    I just had my 3" 629 out yesterday. Shot around 30 rounds of Remington factory 240's, usually with only 3 to 4 live rounds and spinning the cylinder after every shot to get rid of any flinch. My 329 Night Guard has yet to be shot........because its a scary thought. I will look into those Defender loads as they sound about perfect as many of my .44 Mag S&W's are short barreled guns. I have a bunch of Ruger S/A's for the really heavy .44 stuff.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Darryl, I think you will find the a Defender load perfect in the 3-4 inch N frame .44's. Randy Garrett says the load will reliably penetrate the skull of a brown bear. This is my Nightguard .44 magnum. I shoehorned on K/L frame grips to be able to fit it in a fanny pack. It ain't fun to shoot with the Garrett ammo but it is doable. When I check loads with the Scandium .44's, I often alternate from right to left hand every shot or two, to distribute the pain.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That is a seriously cool .44 and would be perfect for lightweight carry when hunting or backpacking. I should pick one of those up so.e day soon.

They are really neat guns, and not made any longer. They really are an excellent evolution of the defensive revolver. The key is to finding the right loads for these that will take advantage of their caliber, while being shoot able. Also, what I want for a "counter car jacking load vs. A counter Grizzly load are very different. For me, I have a Ruger Alaskan that is my current favorite "Fishing Gun" as it handles .454 Casul really well. My N frames tend to be geared towards two leggers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I just have to say, You guys are a real inspiration. That's the good life, right there!

User Tag List