Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting N Frames in Elmer Keith Country

Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My brother has a 6" Model 29 that I've been trying to bamboozle him out of for a few years now. Until that time I'll have to 'settle' for my 4" Model 28.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Lost River, you mentioned in a caption, "smoked up trousers" from the braced between the knees sitting position - I love shooting like that. I swear it's steadier than off a rest on a bench. Lean back into a pack or tree etc and clamp those knees around the hands. I tried to use it in a 3 gun match that had a stage that required knocking down multiple 8" plates at 60 yards with the pistol to stop time; but the RO had heart failure over my feet being out front. So we went another way on that.

Reminds me though of the recent discussion of Cooper's four rules etc. It never occurred me growing up that this position was the least bit of a violation of anything, including those four. Just don't screw it up!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This is turning into one of my all time favorite PF threads. I just love that part of the world. Here I am shooting a 5x5 elk at just over 400 yards with a .270WSM, back in that country.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'd like to get out that way some time. Closest I've come is the other end of the west, shooting my Model 544 off Art Eatman's front porch down in Terlingua. It seemed to be the appropriate wheelgun for the trip.

Name:  DSCN4392a.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  66.3 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

544? What is that??? I'm gonna have to search that one.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    544? What is that??? I'm gonna have to search that one.
    Model 544: Modern N-frames don't come much more hipster than one in .44-40.

Which reminds me,.....those two boxes of 44-40 factory loads I mentioned a couple years ago were gone when I went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Which reminds me,.....those two boxes of 44-40 factory loads I mentioned a couple years ago were gone when I went back.
    'Salright. The only chamberings in which my ratio of "on-hand ammo" to "guns actually owned in that caliber" are even more out of whack are probably .22 Rem Jet and .32-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I'd like to get out that way some time. Closest I've come is the other end of the west, shooting my Model 544 off Art Eatman's front porch down in Terlingua. It seemed to be the appropriate wheelgun for the trip.
    I used to live down the road from there, in the bustling metropolis of Lajitas. I miss that area terribly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing your pictures. My brother has a 6" Model 29 that I've been trying to bamboozle him out of for a few years now. Until that time I'll have to 'settle' for my 4" Model 28.
    Thanks for the kind words Friend.

I am an unabashed fan of Elmers favorite caiber. That being said, there are no flies on a fine old Model 28. I normally hunt rabbits with light .44 mag loads, but lately I have been loading up and shooting .38 special 145 grain DE wadcutters. I loaded them for my J frame but will likely run some in other guns like my old 1930s Colt Official Police, for hunting desert Jackrabbits. Wadcutters really do a number on them. You cant stop grinning when you roll one with a wadcutter out of an old "obsolete" handgun. At least I cant.

User Tag List