Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Should I Buy A 1911 Springfield stainless steel-Model LOADED-45cal. Handgun?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    Here is Springfield's Contact us page: http://springfield-armory.com/contactus.php
    Thank you.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Thank you.
    shooters that pay attention to details are the wisest shooters-Your Welcome
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Thank-you Bill for your reply. I am looking for: 1911-(I) lightweight & yet the recoil allows you to stay on target (2) good sights ( I guess I could replace bad sights). My definition of both reliable & durable is with proper maintenance that this 1911 will function properly (feeding & extracting ,slide locking back on last round in magazine) for many years of shooting.

This 1911 will be used as an addition to protecting my home as well as plinking at targets at our local range. To be honest I am open to opinions on whether a 5" or 4 1/4 inch barrel is preferred for home defense?
    I am willing to pay up to $1300.00 for a 1911 45acp. Semper Fi-Mike
    I paid ~$1100 for my Colt Rail Gun locally. Colt 5" 1911 w/rail for light/laser, intended as training and home defense gun. (Carry is a Combat Commander.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I paid ~$1100 for my Colt Rail Gun locally. Colt 5" 1911 w/rail for light/laser, intended as training and home defense gun. (Carry is a Combat Commander.)
    Thank-you Drang for your information. Colt remings me of the Honda car-it keeps operating for quite some time!

That was the stainless model, IIRC the blue steel version runs ~$150 less.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I called Springfield today to ask about their 1911 light weight Operator and during that time asked if Brazil was making all the forgings. Springfield Rep told me that that was a few years ago and that contract with the Brazil Co. has ended and that Springfield in Illinoise is making the entire pistol. Now that's great news -better quality in our 1911's.
    That's great news, I would now consider them for a 1911. With the state of the US and it's economy I try to buy from the homeland

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
    That's great news, I would now consider them for a 1911. With the state of the US and it's economy I try to buy from the homeland
    AMEN!

As I've previously discussed, I carried a .45 Auto 1911 from 1986 to 2010 in some capacity or another, including LE, military, and CCW/personal defense roles. Since than, I retired my 1911's and sold almost all of them--mostly Colt's. While I now carry a 9 mm, I did carry an M&P45 in 2010. I find the M&P45 to be far more user friendly than a 1911--lighter weight, just as accurate, greater magazine capacity, easier to work on, softer shooting, available with an ergonomic manual safety, highly customizable, etc... If I were in the market for a new .45 Auto pistol, the M&P45 would be my first choice. Better yet, why not go with a good 9 mm?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As I've previously discussed, I carried a .45 Auto 1911 from 1986 to 2010 in some capacity or another, including LE, military, and CCW/personal defense roles. Since than, I retired my 1911's and sold almost all of them--mostly Colt's. While I now carry a 9 mm, I did carry an M&P45 in 2010. I find the M&P45 to be far more user friendly than a 1911--lighter weight, just as accurate, greater magazine capacity, easier to work on, softer shooting, available with an ergonomic manual safety, highly customizable, etc... If I were in the market for a new .45 Auto pistol, the M&P45 would be my first choice. Better yet, why not go with a good 9 mm?

Reason I favor the .45 caliber is because I learned how to effectively shoot this caliber under the most streesful conditions while active in the Marines & have shot & rented many at our range. It's what I shoot best. Thank-you for suggesting the M&P45. I'll have to check this gun out at our local range. Later Doc

To be honest I am open to opinions on whether a 5" or 4 1/4 inch barrel is preferred for home defense?
    I personally prefer Commanders. I do not recommend Commanders to other people, but I wills say this:

If it has

Flat bottom firing pin stop (I have an EGW, but if I were doing it again, I'd use a Harrison Design unit.)
    22 lbs flatwire spring (I like the Wilson unit)
    proper dimension feed ramp
    throated barrel
    properly fit barrel (I use a Kart)
    heavy hammer spring (I use 22 lbs. ISMI spring)
    Good strong slide stop (EGW, 10-8, or Harrison)
    Good magazines (Wilson ETM, Tripp Research with Super 7 upgrade kit, or Colt factory magazines.)

It should be fine if you replace springs at the proper interval.
    Quote Originally Posted by montanadave
    My wife has already written my obituary which, in part, attributes my death to complications from my second penis reduction surgery.

User Tag List