Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout

Ruger Gunsite Scout

For some strange reason, I handled one in the fun store the other day. I have hunting rifles and fighting rifles so why am thinking about one these? Plinking and truck gun? Thanks for your comments about the rifle or concept.

Ken

I think it is a nice practical rifle …. unless you have experienced a real, model 70 based practical rifle, at which point you will likely hold your nose with the Ruger and consider it more or less junk. Biggest problem is you can't run the action like a model 70. Further down the list, the reserve sights are not first rate, the rail and mounting is goofy, big magazines ruin the handling of that kind of rifle, the stock is not in the same league with a Brown Precision or equivalent, and the barrel is basic Ruger -- meaning about $25 worth of barrel. Other than that, it is fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

To not leave this on a negative note, here is my suggestion if you do want a quality practical rifle for similar or less dollars than the Ruger. Find a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .30-06, cut the length of pull to 13.0 inches, mount a Leupold 1.5-5 or 1.75-6, add an Andy Langlois Ching sling (using the stock front and rear swivels plus adding one intermediate stud), add a bit of weaver rail to the fore end for taking a Surefire, and take a Randy Cain practical rifle class. If you want to go big, put the Leupold in QD rings (Talley or equivalent) and also mount an Aimpoint PRO in a 30 mm ring, that you can switch out with the Leupold, in case you want to use the rifle like a M4. You will have a real rifle, that handles like a dream, can be run vigorously, and will do practical rifle tasks right up to any game in North America. Randy will, in three days, help you get the most of of the practical bolt as a social rifle.

I've used one a little bit while brush hunting. I have a vortex 1-4 mounted on it right now. I think it's a handy rifle that I mostly wanted to run a suppressor on thanks to its twist rate and threaded barrel. The fact it has a magazine doesn't hurt... That said it seems to have a hard time feeding and the action is pretty rough. It's really not as light as I would like and I typically have been ditching it for a 30-30 or the ak while in the brush and leave my Remington 700 for sitting around.

GJM,

My primary hunting rifle is a custom model 70 Featherweight .30-06, Krieger barrel and McMillan stock built by Terry Cross (KMW). Terry is a friend and builds some of the best tactical rifles anywhere, as well as being a world class shooter. He quit making hunting stuff long ago, but I've got an honest .5 - .75 minute rifle with my hunting loads, when I do my part.

My other primary hunting rifle is a an old Sako AII in .308, which is pure oiled walnut and blue steel craftsmanship.

I appreciate nice tools, and know the Ruger is what it is. I'd probably never go to the trouble of having something built from the ground up for a concept I'm not sold on or have any experience with. I'm an Aimpoint guy and a regular scope guy so the scout scope thing is a bit alien. I understand the concept, but have never worked it.

Thanks for the comments.

Ken

You will probably appreciate my wife's practical rifle. Left hand Dakota, NPI stock, Walther barrel, set up with a Scout scope, 4X Leupold, Leupold 1.5-5 illuminated, Aimpoint, reserve iron sights, Surefire and stripper clips. It has done everything from earning her an E ticket at Gunsite to harvesting deer.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To not leave this on a negative note, here is my suggestion if you do want a quality practical rifle for similar or less dollars than the Ruger. Find a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in .30-06, cut the length of pull to 13.0 inches, mount a Leupold 1.5-5 or 1.75-6, add an Andy Langlois Ching sling (using the stock front and rear swivels plus adding one intermediate stud), add a bit of weaver rail to the fore end for taking a Surefire, and take a Randy Cain practical rifle class. If you want to go big, put the Leupold in QD rings (Talley or equivalent) and also mount an Aimpoint PRO in a 30 mm ring, that you can switch out with the Leupold, in case you want to use the rifle like a M4. You will have a real rifle, that handles like a dream, can be run vigorously, and will do practical rifle tasks right up to any game in North America. Randy will, in three days, help you get the most of of the practical bolt as a social rifle.
    Looks like we hit post at the same time. I love my model 70s, but pre-64s are not inexpensive around here. I can't bring myself to like the FN MOA trigger so can't go that route. I do like the L 1.75 - 6, have one on my CZ .375. I like that scope MUCH better than the 1.5 - 5 due to better low light performance.

Have you fooled with the scout type forward mount? I've never found a quality scope mounted the old fashion way slow.

Ken

You will probably appreciate my wife's practical rifle. Left hand Dakota, NPI stock, Walther barrel, set up with a Scout scope, 4X Leupold, Leupold 1.5-5 illuminated, Aimpoint, reserve iron sights, Surefire and stripper clips. It has done everything from earning her an E ticket at Gunsite to harvesting deer.

Man, I do like! Thanks!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post

Have you fooled with the scout type forward mount? I've never found a quality scope mounted the old fashion way slow.

Ken
    I took my first rifle class with Jeff Cooper, with a scout rifle, in 1991, so I guess I have been messing around with scout scopes for a while. These days, with the advent of great low powered variables and the Aimpoint, I think IER scout scopes have been relegated to niches like a scope on a model 94, or for some magnification on a .416, where you want the action open for fixed reserve sights and easier loading, and to keep the glass out if your face with heavy recoil.

It used to be a scout rifle meant scout scope, but not anymore for me. A scout rifle is now a fast handling, trim rifle with a three point sling, shorter LOP, slick action, and features that can transition from the hunting field to social use. Caliber might vary from .243/.260 to the classic .30's to .375 H&H and larger for animal defense.

I think it is a nice practical rifle …. unless you have experienced a real, model 70 based practical rifle, at which point you will likely hold your nose with the Ruger and consider it more or less junk. Biggest problem is you can't run the action like a model 70.
    Can you expand on that part a bit?

I have a couple older tang safety Rugers that I like. One I'm planning to use for a moderately compact general purpose rifle.

User Tag List