Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout

Site Supporter
    GJM,

Could you please provide some details regarding the spare mag/ammo holder on the stocks of your "scoutski's" ?

I have CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with a 2x7 Nikon. It's one of my favorite rifles. Affordable to shoot with steel case AK stuff, good accuracy with quality brass cases ammo such as Hornady Z max and a good trigger out of the box. It currently has a leather 1907 pattern sling I bought from some "old dude" at the gunshow but I think a true scout sling would suit it better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If I was going down that route, I think I'd go for a Browning BAR or Benelli R1 instead. Semi-auto is a big advantage over a bolt action...
    Unless you're limited to ten rounds ,and can't change magazines easily due to communist legislation re: detachable magazines.A manual action long arm which can be legally reloaded fast is an advantage.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    GJM,

Could you please provide some details regarding the spare mag/ammo holder on the stocks of your "scoutski's" ?

I have CZ 527 in 7.62x39 with a 2x7 Nikon. It's one of my favorite rifles. Affordable to shoot with steel case AK stuff, good accuracy with quality brass cases ammo such as Hornady Z max and a good trigger out of the box. It currently has a leather 1907 pattern sling I bought from some "old dude" at the gunshow but I think a true scout sling would suit it better.

Thanks
    I would also look at Andy Langois' Rhodesian sling. It doesn't require the third middle swivel, so you can still use it as a carry sling, but still also keep the loop open with your hand for quick hasty slings.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have a couple of Savage .308s, one of which is an original Scout. Someone school me why these might not be suitable for the job.

I would love it if they could be clip loaded, but both have DBMs that can be single loaded through the top so they got that going on at least.
    Kent Gooch told me the Savage extractors were problematic. Sure enough, at about 4-500rds they failed to complete extraction in both my 16FSSs. All commercial or quality surplus ammo... didnt' see steelcase .308 back then. The extractors were not difficult to replace, but certainly not robust in design or material. I sold my spare extractors/springs/detent balls with the rifles.

For me, a knock around rifle for backcountry living would be a Scout-ish .308, similar to the Hill bros. But there'd be an AR as well.

Jim Brockman made up a custom nylon piece, that screwed to the stock, and holds a spare magazine and two rounds. I go hot and cold on butt cuffs -- love the ammo, but hate how you can loose ammo clambering through the bushes.

I have been buying Andy's slings since he started making them. Great kit. A year ago, we experimented with some new designs that would work like a three point, but use just two swivels. I kind of prefer a long length three point Langlois Ching, or the two point design SLG made up.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is more oriented to hunting and general boon docking, but here is my .260. Controlled feed model 70 action, Brown Precision stock, Lilja fluted barrel, cerakoted metal treatment, one piece Tally rings, Leupold 2.5-8 with a Premier style holdover reticle, blind bottom metal, three position sling, reshaped bolt handle, action tuned, etc.

That's a dead sexy boom stick.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For some strange reason, I handled one in the fun store the other day. I have hunting rifles and fighting rifles so why am thinking about one these? Plinking and truck gun? Thanks for your comments about the rifle or concept.

Ken
    I own one and used it to take 3 whitetails last season. Two of them within a few seconds of each other and the bolt cycled just fine for me. I'm running mine without the flash hider and with a normal mounted 2-7 scope. Is it a Model 70? No, but mine is a good working gun. I also like the fact it has a threaded barrel and DBM. I think it's a great rifle for the price and would work very well for a plinking/truck gun.

Not to overly derail or bump a zombie thread but...

Between this thread, the pics of Guide Guns, and the tub of N frames, does anyone else just want to spend a few days playing with all of GJM's guns?

I've shot trap with Ruger 10-22's some set up as a scout and some set up as long eye relief. The Scout concept just didn't work for me. I was much faster and much more accurate with a long eye relief scope 3-4". I think the Scout concept could be learned but for me it would require a lot more time and ammo to be as proficient as with the long eye relief. I think from what I've read the long eye relief is a similar concept to the Trijicon Bindon Aiming Concept. https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/compa...o_trijicon.php
    You may want to give it a try before you invest all the money to set up a Scout Rifle.

User Tag List