Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger Gunsite Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Can you direct me to the info about the detachable magazine being a spec of the scout concept? I've seen it mentioned as desirable, but not necessary. Not that I'm hung up on the exact specs for my own use, just curious about that bit.
    Cooper actually spoke against big box magazines:

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?...7&topic=1298.0
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That does not surprise me in the least, one of the objectives was to have an easy to carry gun, and one reason to have a forward mounted scope or irons was to be able to easily carry the gun in hand at the balance point. Magazines that stick out at the balance point are't that easy to carry.

I nearly always carry a rifle in hand.

I was also scratching my head about this. I have seen most of Jeff Cooper's various scout rifles, and don't recall them fitted up with a DBM. My recollection was that the DBM was optional, and found its way onto the Steyr Scout. Early on, Robar did a M14 DBM mod on something, maybe a Ruger as I recall, but it screwed up the ability to work the bolt well.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Steyr is kind of the best of both isn't it? A standard capacity mag that hugs the stock line, and a higher capacity mag that is available if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    The Steyr is kind of the best of both isn't it? A standard capacity mag that hugs the stock line, and a higher capacity mag that is available if desired.
    I assume you mean the Steyr's magazine arrangement and not the whole rifle? There is a real gotcha with the Steyr's magazine system. Jeff specified a magazine position where you can single feed, leaving the DBM essentially "disconnected." My concern was always that it get that way, when you wanted it feeding the action, leading to click not bang.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I noticed in the article Cooper mentioned the Savage 99. I've sort of felt like a BLR would fit in this role quite well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I assume you mean the Steyr's magazine arrangement and not the whole rifle? There is a real gotcha with the Steyr's magazine system. Jeff specified a magazine position where you can single feed, leaving the DBM essentially "disconnected." My concern was always that it get that way, when you wanted it feeding the action, leading to click not bang.
    Absolutely. Just the low/high option.
    I have only played with a Steyr Scout briefly, on a couple occasions. My overall reaction was "so what is all the hype about?" I was seriously underwhelmed. I would definitely take a warmed over Winchester, Ruger or Remington over it in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The problem with the "general purpose" practical bolt-action rifle is that very few people actually do general purpose practical things with their firearms.

I've been hunting for an inexpensive, compact, even marginal quality, lightweight .308 Bolt action rifle with iron soghts for quite some time, and they just don't seem to exist. I can't even begin to justify the cost of a true custom practical rifle.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but can you top up the Ruger through the ehection port?
    Savage Arms 11 Hog Hunter

Mossberg MVP patrol
    Last edited by markp; 04-03-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Acquaintance of mine made his Scout Rifle out of an Ishapore SMLE
    I happen to have an Ishapore and have been kicking around the idea of making a scout rifle out of it. Any ideas on who did the work on your friend's rifle? I'm also unable to find any kind of replacement stock for it (it's been importer-converted into a jungle carbine configuration)

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    The problem with the "general purpose" practical bolt-action rifle is that very few people actually do general purpose practical things with their firearms.
    Right. I never understood the point of the scout rifle concept. Seems like a solution for a problem that stopped existing a long time ago.

User Tag List