Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Left-handed, but right eye dominant – advice requested

Are you keeping both eyes open? If not, you should be, and then squint your right eye just a bit, as suggested. You can also put a piece of scotch tape over the right lens of your shooting glasses until you get proficient (it is like squinting without the eye strain).

Talking C.A.R.

Well, you could always just try to get really really good at the CAR system.

same boat...almost

I am in a similar situation. I am left-handed, but I have been shooting right-handed all my life. Last year, I worked at a job that required me to use a hand-held scanner, which I held in my left hand. I figured that since my natural inclination was to use that hand for my scanner, why wouldn't it be the same with a handgun. Since then, I have been practicing with my left hand and it feels remarkably comfortable. It was then that I figured out that I am right-eye dominant. I've not been able to get out to the range as often as would like to test, but I think the accuracy is close. I think I just need to train with my left hand a little more. Any advice on training methods other than range-time (which would be best)? I still shoot rifles and shotguns right-handed.

I just registered on this forum today, and this is my very first post. Looking forward to talking guns with you all.

me too

first day on this forum and first post here. great topic too.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I've been shooting since I was big enough to hold a rifle and since the beginning I've shot my rifle off my left shoulder. We never did alot of handgun shooting, but a 3 years ago I bought my first handgun. Although I'm fairly ambidextrous (can throw a football/baseball, golf, tennis, ping pong, basketball just as good left handed) I'm more comfortable manipulating things in my right hand. So I started and have always shot my handgun right handed. In my short experience I have to completely agree with Todd's article. its not a big deal to move the pistol an inch or two to sight with your dominant eye. In my case I found it much more natural to draw and consistently present the gun with my right hand. I shoot both eyes open with my handgun and when using open sights on the rifle and havent had any issues, other than always wondering if I should switch. I started shooting 3gun this year and I've got a few confused comments from people about shooting my rifle left handed and my pistol right.. but it works well for me. sorry for the rambling here.. but my recommendation would be to use your dominant hand because you'll be more confident in the motion and probably be more consistent. Good luck!

RH/Left eye dominant. Always shot long guns from the port side. Didn't know anything about that "cross dominant" stuff growing up on the farm, but shooting LH just felt right. (Did this new fangled "cross dominant" stuff even exist back then?)

Later, as an adult, and so much more sophisticated, I reasoned I should shoot handguns LH as well. (Smarter trigger finger?)

Perhaps I outsmarted myself and steepened the learning curve as hand strength (as well as dexterity) is a major factor in handgunning, but I'm glad I did it.

It's kinda cool having the "smarter/stronger hand" available to do things like grabbing mags, opening doors, operating lights and maybe even fending off a threat if need be.

Again, maybe I've outsmarted myself, but it's working reasonably well for me.
    Last edited by NETim; 08-08-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: dexterity
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Unhappy Still just not getting it

Hi guys, first time poster but lurked around for a while. I have the same issue but for the life of me I can't seem to get on the paper without moving sights to the extreme. Maybe I'm just a horrible marksman but I shoot left handed and am right eye dominant. With rifles, especially with scopes ;-) it doesn't really matter but I do typically buy left handed bolt action rifle. For my pistols I try closing my left eye and aiming with my right eye using my left hand to fire, but I'm always a full target width off. I have a picture of what I mean I just can't post it. I've tried extending my dominant hand under my right eye (read in a different book) with no luck and it's horribly uncomfortable. I just can't seem to find my "sweet spot" for how to hold the firearm so what I see is what I hit. This is going to sound silly, but does anyone have any other advice? I'm starting to think my eyeballs or skull is messed up causing this wonkiness. And it's consistent with at least 5 pistols so I know I'm the root cause

Maybe this will help:

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Maybe this will help:
    Totally appreciate that Caleb! I think I just need a lot more practice. I've tried this technique (kind of. I was told to lower the pistol and raise it under my dominant eye). Then I overthink the angle of the firearm when my dominant arm is extended (in other words I twist my wrists and move my head around to make a good sight picture). I put 300 + rounds through my 1911 before taking a brass drift to the rear site ... now I wish I would have just left it and asked more experienced shooters ;-)

Cross dominant shooter here as well. Self taught shooter. RH/LE dominant. Grew up shooting pistols and rifles right handed and I would either squint or close my left eye entirely. Did some eye dominance tests last year when I started getting more "into" shooting. Found out I was in fact left eye dominant. The transition in pistol shooting was quite easy; however, instead of moving the gun over, I simply turn my head slightly to line up my left eye behind the sights. This past New Year, I decided that I would only shoot rifle/shotgun left handed from now on, in order to maximize the use of my dominant eye. It's been a slow process, but my lefty long gun use is improving.

I'm not really specifically hand dominant, the only thing I can't do with either hand is write neatly; you could argue I can't write neatly period, but that's a different joke. I learned to shoot right handed because that's how everyone else shot from when I was little, and then it was a lot easier to get right handed gear when I was an adult.

User Tag List