Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using Tritium Sights versus Flashlight

Using Tritium Sights versus Flashlight

I am starting to question the value of Tritium sights. Good use of a flashlight seems to accomplish everything I need to do with sights. If I don't have a flashlight or drop it or don't have time to get it out, then I see the value (assuming I can see the threat and know there is a lethal threat). In order to see a lethal threat, I either have to already have the flashlight out or there is available light. Yes, maybe there are some marginal lighting conditions where it would be useful, but haven't found that to be the case.

What is the experience with members here?

Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Folks spend hours debating minutia, I see no reason given that to throw away an advantage (night sights).
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I figure that if i drop my flashlight or the battery fails I can still see my sight (hopefully after identifying the target correctly)

Almost zero non cop deadly force events where a firearm would be used, such as a robbery in-progress, involve the need for a light. You may well be in lighting that is not high noon and have a real need for tritium sights.

Most tritium sights also do well in different targeted colors.
    I prefer the HD/Hack sights as the Orange is impossible to miss, but back to the tritium aspect -- on a white target the sights will be dark and on a dark target the sight will be lighter.

I equate the question to be like: I wear a bulletproof vest, why do I need a gun.

The light will fail, and when the sweat and blood get on everything - the light (since your one of those no pistol light guys) may not longer be on your person (and frankly even with a WML it may not survive).
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    In order to see a lethal threat, I either have to already have the flashlight out or there is available light. Yes, maybe there are some marginal lighting conditions where it would be useful, but haven't found that to be the case.

What is the experience with members here?

Thanks,
    Cody
    This is where the argument falls apart. Lighting is not binary. The magnitude, direction of light, and color of the target and background play important a roles in the ability to pick up your sights clearly and accurately.

Seeing your sights on a dark background is similar to reading small text without much contrast: being in a dimly lit room makes it very difficult.

Recognizing a person requires very little light. Identifying someone as dangerous doesn't require much light(if any).

It would be a poor assumption that you will always have a light on your target before you shoot.

Thanks for the links...these are good.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Aren't each of the sighting systems a compromise, and the "answer" might be different depending upon your environment and eyes?

For example, someone working the night shift versus someone in the far north, outside, during the summer, where it never gets dark. I always assumed all defensive pistols should have tritium sights, although for over 100 years flocking have been killing people without them. It is also interesting that virtually every high level USPSA shooter uses a fiber optic front sight. I have started to wonder whether a fiber optic front sight and CT grip laser might be a better combination.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Dudes killed a lot of bad guys with M1 garands, you don't see them still in use because better options and advantages have come along.

User Tag List