Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Using Tritium Sights versus Flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Good use of a flashlight seems to accomplish everything I need to do with sights.
    That flashlight does one more thing the tritium sights don't do - it makes a dandy target for the BG to aim at.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    That flashlight does one more thing the tritium sights don't do - it makes a dandy target for the BG to aim at.
    Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    It is near impossible to misalign the sights that bad unless your in a very unconventional shooting position (which can happen) -- my biggest bitch about rear tritium is the vials are usually the same brightness as the front (but closer to your eye) - so I use the Ken Hackathorn method and run them over with a black sharpie marker to dim them.
    I've suggested to Trijicon that they should sell HDs with yellow rear tubes, it fixes both issues.

Hence Low Light training and training on the usage of lights.

I mean with your logic I should just stay home 24/7 then the Badguys would not have a target right?
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Hence Low Light training and training on the usage of lights.

I mean with your logic I should just stay home 24/7 then the Badguys would not have a target right?
    No way man, you might give away your position during a home invasion!

Just finished shooting the Virginia Indoor Regional IDPA Sanctioned Match. Five of the stages were in total darkness. Once the lights went out, the lights did not go back on until all five shooters had shot one of their stages. That allowed our eyes to get used to the darkness.

1) I was reasonably proficient using my Cz75 with a Tritium only on the Front Sight while holding a flashlight "cigar style" in my weak hand. I am convinced that a Tritium, at least on the Front, is necessary in the dark. And, I don't think a fiber on the front would have been better.
    2) I found the Tritium useless for targets I had to shoot when I did a temple hold on the flashlight because the white light splash. That happened on two stages: One stage required Strong Hand Only. The other was because we had a "pick-up flashlight" that was too large to shoot "cigar-style" and I used temple-hold.
    3) Awareness of how the shadows are being cast is a significant issue for me, at least. In some cases I needed to move to avoid shadows being cast on targets. In other cases I needed to use FBI-hold to see the targets well enough to engage them Strong Hand Only.

I am still undecided on rear-sight tritiums. I shot well enough with a single front sight tritiuim on a 15 yard target without tritiums in the rear sight.

My shooting buddy is a big believer in laser grips for real threat situations because you don't have to aim to put a laser on a threat target and pull the trigger. You could be holding the gun Strong Hand Only and shoot without sighting. I totally see the value in that. For my carry gun, looking for laser grips now.

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Always sucks having to PID targets before you engage them..........life would be so much easier to just put your sight on whatever you can see on the light conditions you have been given and let er rip. There is the other thing tritium can't do........find bad guys hiding in darkness..........but you have to turn it on to do that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Pat Rogers said "lights ARE bullet magnets, but most people can't shoot for sh*t".

If I can positively ID the target as a threat, there's no reason to use a light. If I can't positively ID the target, then I have to light it up. No choice but to do so.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Always sucks having to PID targets before you engage them..........life would be so much easier to just put your sight on whatever you can see on the light conditions you have been given and let er rip. There is the other thing tritium can't do........find bad guys hiding in darkness..........but you have to turn it on to do that.
    So we have to think?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Anyway, I want a tritium front sight, a hand-held light, and a weapon-mounted light, if I can arrange it. If you need it and don't have it, you can't go fetch it.

Rosco
    Yes please ! I'll take all the advantage I can get. As my old Ukranian partner used to say " What is this "fair fight" you are talking about?".

Personally, I like 2 dot or "fakeathorn" sight set ups for the rear reference.

User Tag List