Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New toy

I know a guy that works for US Optics.....
    #RESIST

My preference mostly stems from my ignorance of other options' features.

I thought that zero stop would be nice. Much like adjustable gas block being worked up for different ammo, the scope would be too, and I thought that zero stop would be helpful.
    The second consideration is a reticle. I have looked through a very limited number of those, but I didn't think that the daytime illumination was really as great as online reviews make it to be. So I am thinking to get a reticle that works decently without illumination, and NF's FC2 has had this reputation. FC3GN seems like a welcome improvement over FC2.

Finally, my subjective perception is that NF has a better glass and sturdier build.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My preference mostly stems from my ignorance of other options' features.

I thought that zero stop would be nice. Much like adjustable gas block being worked up for different ammo, the scope would be too, and I thought that zero stop would be helpful.
    The second consideration is a reticle. I have looked through a very limited number of those, but I didn't think that the daytime illumination was really as great as online reviews make it to be. So I am thinking to get a reticle that works decently without illumination, and NF's FC2 has had this reputation. FC3GN seems like a welcome improvement over FC2.

Finally, my subjective perception is that NF has a better glass and sturdier build.
    I hadn't really considered a zero stop. I don't even know what other 1-x scope has one other than the Nightforce. The Vortex and Leupold VX6 are both daylight bright. The VX6 doesn't have a very good reticle option yet, but using multiple zeros depending on the stage would work for 3 gun. The second focal plane Bushnell reticles work well without illumination too. If you shoot matches where the targets aren't frequently painted or target backers aren't used the extra 2x is definitely helpful. I'm not sure that any increased clarity of the Nightforce can overcome the magnification difference.

Thanks, Josh. I am going to look into this literally more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Lil, I don't know yet but I am leaning to a 1-4 or 1-6 variable. Dot optics don't like my astigmatic eyes, or the other way around. I am not that committed to drop 2.5 grand on Swaro or Kahles. I am thinking a 1-4 Nightforce with a FC3GN reticle simply because I am familiar with NF. Maybe will look at Bushnell or Vortex or SWFA, not sure.

Josh, the gas block is a Syrac Ordnance unit. It also uses a detent, no need for that other thing you mentioned
    For what it's worth, I've been using a SWFA 1-6x on my 9.3x62mm bolt gun and it's been awesome in safari rifle matches. That said, it really needs a cat tail (unavailable when I got my optic, but available now). Up close at 1x, the reticle is very EOTech-esque, which I like. At higher power, I find the reticle brackets the target very nicely. I have a second one that I bought for an AR, but I need more eye relief than my current mount will allow (I got the 'slightly extended' Bobro QD and discovered I need the 'extended' model instead), so I haven't used it on that rifle yet. That said, the SWFA has one serious downside: it's a heavy SOB. With the mount, it's 30oz. Adding close to 2lbs to a safari rifle just dampens recoil. On an AR, especially one intended to be lightweight, it's a bit much. Also, the illum is just barely 'daylight visible' at full power in the AZ sun, to the point that I don't even use it during the day unless it's overcast.

User Tag List