Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on Bonus COF Proposal

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    How about a modified FAST? Add time to breakdowns to compensate for security holsters.......
    Because while the FAST is a great pure shooting drill, it's NOT what you want the great mass of LE shooters doing as a tactically related drill with their service weapons. Reloading is also a great skill to have, but the bulk of LE shooters need to emphasize skill with what they have in the pistol and The Test does a good job of teaching the draw and multiple shot delivery at a controlled pace with surgical accuracy.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

We don't have any mandatory selections for duty equipment so some guys have open top pouches and others have flaps. I don't want to turn it into an equipment race. If I can get this approved and everyone is getting 4 hours off, we may to revise - but that isn't a big concern.

This is what I have for test administration. Remember, this is the .gov so inane details are important:

The following guidelines will be used when administering The Test:
    • The Test must be administered by a currently certified firearms instructor.
    • An instructor can administer The Test to themselves but must have at least two other witnesses present.
    • The Test will be only be administered using a shot timer to verify time limits.
    • The distance to the target from the firing line will be measured and verified.
    • Shooters toes may not be in front of the firing line.
    • Each shooter will attempt The Test one at a time in order to assure that over time shots are detected.
    • The Test will be shot “cold” – no warmup shots or attempts. It will be shot before qualification attempts.
    • The first shot fired must be from a hammer down/double action position.
    • Any shot fired after 10 seconds will be penalized 10 points.
    • All retention devices on the holster must be engaged at the start of The Test.
    • Start positions for the hands is at solar plexus level in an FI position.
    • Only hits in the 8, 9, or 10 ring are scored.
    • Bullets must clearly break the scoring line to receive the higher value. Radial tears are NOT scored.

What else is needed?

Site Supporter
    What else is needed?
    Perhaps you should specify a procedure to be followed in the event of a stoppage/malfunction/breakage, etc., to ensure consistency among all FI's. (I'm inclined towards "tough kitten," but I can imagine that might cause some whining if it wasn't shooter-induced, e.g. a dud primer)

Also, should the 10-second par should be programmed into the timer, so the shooter knows to stop throwing overtime shots?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    We don't have any mandatory selections for duty equipment so some guys have open top pouches and others have flaps. I don't want to turn it into an equipment race. If I can get this approved and everyone is getting 4 hours off, we may to revise - but that isn't a big concern.

This is what I have for test administration. Remember, this is the .gov so inane details are important:

The following guidelines will be used when administering The Test:
    • The Test must be administered by a currently certified firearms instructor.
    • An instructor can administer The Test to themselves but must have at least two other witnesses present.
    • The Test will be only be administered using a shot timer to verify time limits.
    • The distance to the target from the firing line will be measured and verified.
    • Shooters toes may not be in front of the firing line.
    • Each shooter will attempt The Test one at a time in order to assure that over time shots are detected.
    • The Test will be shot “cold” – no warmup shots or attempts. It will be shot before qualification attempts.
    • The first shot fired must be from a hammer down/double action position.
    • Any shot fired after 10 seconds will be penalized 10 points.
    • All retention devices on the holster must be engaged at the start of The Test.
    • Start positions for the hands is at solar plexus level in an FI position.
    • Only hits in the 8, 9, or 10 ring are scored.
    • Bullets must clearly break the scoring line to receive the higher value. Radial tears are NOT scored.

What else is needed?
    I'd agree that a 10 second par needs to be set. The standards look great. Nyeti should read the one about the toes over the line. He constantly tries to fudge a couple of feet on distance, in his favor of course!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

[QUOTE=John Hearne;212791
    What else is needed?[/QUOTE]

different color pins to signify levels of achievement.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I'd agree that a 10 second par needs to be set. The standards look great. Nyeti should read the one about the toes over the line. He constantly tries to fudge a couple of feet on distance, in his favor of course!
    As a sophisticated shooter, I am simply shooting the drill at a distance of 5 Smoots. If you want to use your simpleton unit of measure in "yards" to go along with your means of other measurements like "minner counts" is fine, but don't hold my stature and good breeding against me.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List