Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Biomechanics of grip...Haley/Pincus...

Tortured syntax and overblown use of terms are just part of the package with younger ex-mil guys, in my experience. It rarely has anything to do with whether they have good lessons to pass along or if they're good at teaching.

I find it's better to look past the superficial stuff and ask instead whether I can learn something from someone, and whether that's worth the price of admission. Haley and Defoor are both on my list of folks from whom I'd like to take at least one class, and I will openly share that I am setting aside some negative impressions of personal conduct with one of those two, because it has no impact on whether learning will occur.

If someone is a complete oxygen thief, or is great on some topics but out of their lane on others, I want to know that so I can spend my money effectively. Otherwise, I think it's a bit silly to insist on this zero-defect culture of video shoots where everyone uses polished, rehearsed lines and never ever forgets to show clear to the camera.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by TheTrevor View Post
    Otherwise, I think it's a bit silly to insist on this zero-defect culture of video shoots where everyone uses polished, rehearsed lines and never ever forgets to show clear to the camera.
    Great point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    ETA: The more I've gotten into this "there is no one way" mood. The more I've realized that Enos is right. Shooting is a personal journey. I don't quite agree with this idea that we are a third party bystander during a match (I think that high speed video does a better job maybe that view will change in another decade). But the idea that you need to spend time developing your own technique that works best for you rings true to me more and more.
    I was shocked the first time I read the introduction by Rob Leatham in Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals. He said that the way he and Brian Enos shot three years ago is different from how they shot last year and that was different from how they shot when he wrote the introduction and that would be different than how they shot a few years in the future. Now it makes sense to me. It's not about clinging to one true technique; it's about the journey, the struggle, the study, the effort, the paying attention and noticing everything and learning from everything. That's what makes someone really sharp - wallowing in the art.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    It's not about clinging to one true technique; it's about the journey, the struggle, the study, the effort, the paying attention and noticing everything and learning from everything. That's what makes someone really sharp - wallowing in the art.
    Damn man, that's good stuff. Signature line material right there.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I was shocked the first time I read the introduction by Rob Leatham in Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals. He said that the way he and Brian Enos shot three years ago is different from how they shot last year and that was different from how they shot when he wrote the introduction and that would be different than how they shot a few years in the future. Now it makes sense to me. It's not about clinging to one true technique; it's about the journey, the struggle, the study, the effort, the paying attention and noticing everything and learning from everything. That's what makes someone really sharp - wallowing in the art.
    I can say for 100% fact that the way I shoot, hold a gun, reload, and stand is significantly different now than it was just two years ago, and it's not because I've gotten worse.

Otherwise, I think it's a bit silly to insist on this zero-defect culture of video shoots where everyone uses polished, rehearsed lines and never ever forgets to show clear to the camera.
    I agree and that was my point in posting the downrange camera man photo and comment. Haley's attempt at using different words to explain a concept have no more bearing on his abilities or instruction than the fact that Defoor (who was help up as an example of all that is right with video instruction) went hot with a camera man downrange have with his.

Tortured syntax and overblown use of terms are just part of the package with younger ex-mil guys, in my experience. It rarely has anything to do with whether they have good lessons to pass along or if they're good at teaching.

I find it's better to look past the superficial stuff and ask instead whether I can learn something from someone, and whether that's worth the price of admission. Haley and Defoor are both on my list of folks from whom I'd like to take at least one class, and I will openly share that I am setting aside some negative impressions of personal conduct with one of those two, because it has no impact on whether learning will occur.

If someone is a complete oxygen thief, or is great on some topics but out of their lane on others, I want to know that so I can spend my money effectively. Otherwise, I think it's a bit silly to insist on this zero-defect culture of video shoots where everyone uses polished, rehearsed lines and never ever forgets to show clear to the camera.
    I have a different take. If the dude has to use superficial words that exceed his background why is he choosing to do so? Lack of confidence in his material? The Defoor video was solid. I could name a list of guys who wouldn't try to play doctor in a video... Why not just train with them and pass on those who try to play it up?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List