Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Biomechanics of grip...Haley/Pincus...

Do we need a scientist to teach people how to shoot or explain things? I doubt it. It'd just be nice if people just explained things how they know them rather than trying to trump it up and play the science card. Teaching, lube, gun parts...

"I grip really hard" is an acceptable thing to say, no need to talk about how since Pluto is no longer a planet combined with the price of tea in China multiplied by the angle of the dangle is how hard you should grip the gun.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm not captain Joe ninja with a gun, but I'm also not a guy that just bought his first hi point and sausage sack. That being said, I am still interested in watching people do a good presentation on anything to do with handguns.

However, there is a middle ground of shooter I believe they (Haley/Avery in this video) are trying to reach (me, I believe) and they're not reaching me.

I see the target and I can do that with a blank sheet of paper. I hear the straight trigger press mantra and I can get that from reading anything gun related on the Internet. But the only thing that was new to me (back tension) was completely glossed over in a way that didn't even intrigue me to go take a class in order to find out more about it.

Perhaps this is way too in depth, but the only 2 reasons you're on YouTube is for business/education purposes or self aggrandizement. This video, IMO, accomplished neither for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Do we need a scientist to teach people how to shoot or explain things? I doubt it. It'd just be nice if people just explained things how they know them rather than trying to trump it up and play the science card. Teaching, lube, gun parts...

"I grip really hard" is an acceptable thing to say, no need to talk about how since Pluto is no longer a planet combined with the price of tea in China multiplied by the angle of the dangle is how hard you should grip the gun.
    You wanted science from scientists so you tell me. Also, what in any of the videos posted were trumped up with the science card? It is simply the word "biomechanics" that rubs you the wrong way? Would, "the study of the mechanical principles of living organisms, particularly their movement" be better? Or just "dont drop the gun when you shoot"? I don't think either of those is as effective as describing something while doing it - which the video I posted does a decent job at.

I didn't watch the Haley/Pincus video in it's entirety but I'll safely assume your anecdote about Pluto is hyperbole.

I'm just a little lost on your train of thought. You posted twice about wanting science from scientists, now you're saying we don't need a science to teach shooting
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    I'm not captain Joe ninja with a gun, but I'm also not a guy that just bought his first hi point and sausage sack. That being said, I am still interested in watching people do a good presentation on anything to do with handguns.

However, there is a middle ground of shooter I believe they (Haley/Avery in this video) are trying to reach (me, I believe) and they're not reaching me.

I see the target and I can do that with a blank sheet of paper. I hear the straight trigger press mantra and I can get that from reading anything gun related on the Internet. But the only thing that was new to me (back tension) was completely glossed over in a way that didn't even intrigue me to go take a class in order to find out more about it.

Perhaps this is way too in depth, but the only 2 reasons you're on YouTube is for business/education purposes or self aggrandizement. This video, IMO, accomplished neither for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    But the initial video that started the thread was enlightenment?

The video I posted is a drill video. Period. It has the benefit of talking about trigger press and grip that some shooters might not have been aware of.
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Sometimes we just need to watch cats play the piano.
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post

I'm just a little lost on your train of thought. You posted twice about wanting science from scientists, now you're saying we don't need a science to teach shooting
    It's just more people pulling out things they don't know the meaning to...

I've heard some humble dudes explain the same things without sounding like they scoured a few professional journals for $5 words.

It's also kinda telling that when you talk to people who do work in the science fields mentioned that they can explain the stuff in a way that everyone can understand... They don't seem to care to impress people. Clue?

To expound on what I said... If we are going to involve science and dance with that crap I want it from someone who is qualified in that field. Just like if we are gonna involve French pastries I want a French pastry chef involved, not someone who are crepes this morning and happens to have a lot of YouTube followers. See many of the lube threads here and elsewhere to see how far off the deep end people are willing to go.

If I watch a training video or read something online gun related, one of my expectations is that I will be able to understand it without a Dictionary and Thesaurus. Tam's posts being the exception of course. I also don't want to feel like I'm watching a Tony Robbins speach with all the "setting yourself up for success!" talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    If I watch a training video, one of my expectations is that I will be able to watch and understand it without a Dictionary and Thesaurus. I also don't want to feel like I'm watching a Tony Robbins speach with all the "setting yourself up for success" talk.
    A master of their craft should have the understanding to present it to all audiences...

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    If I watch a training video, one of my expectations is that I will be able to watch and understand it without a Dictionary and Thesaurus. I also don't want to feel like I'm watching a Tony Robbins speach with all the "setting yourself up for success" talk.
    Product differentiation is now almost as important as product quality. To some people, it's more important.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A master of their craft should have the understanding to present it to all audiences...
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Product differentiation is now almost as important as product quality. To some people, it's more important.
    I concur with both of you fine Chaps on both metaphysical and biophysiological levels. I bid you good day....

User Tag List